1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Put all our phones on the Do Not Call Registry

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jerseyguy, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sick of all these annoying calls all day,put the home phone on last week,cells on yesterday.
    Seems to have cut down on the home phone calls,lets see what happens with the cells.

2. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also take the time to fill out a complaint form for violators both of the do-not-call list as well as those that violate other telemarketing rules. Even if all you have is the number they called from (in the case of an autodialer). It really does help.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're on the DNC list and still get that drek. Most annoying is the boat whistle "This is your captain speaking" cruise scam.

4. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the Do Not Call list a few years ago and I believe it made things worse. I've also filed around 50 complaints and nothing. We get on an average of 5-10 calls a day, it's crazy. The phone number that I have, I've had for MANY years and changing it is not an option for me.

The one thing that I have done in the last six months or so is, go ahead and talk to them for a few minutes. If it's a house type remodel call I'll tell them after several minutes that my house is in escrow and I'm sorry that I wasted their time. That's a thing I learned on the Internet. It definitely seems to be helping.

Now that I play this stupid game I don't seem to mind it as much. I'm retired and their time cost them money. :evillaugh

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, plus that one comes on my cell, so it is really annoying. I kept ignoring it and they called 3 days in a row. I know now that area code 360 is one not to answer.

I too re-registered my home phone, plus my cell phone a few weeks ago. Time will tell if it does any good. We just don't answer the phone unless we know who it is.

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had everything registered for years and the past few months - I just don't answer the land line - let the machine get it. Some of the calls fit through the loopholes in the DNC regulations so complaints aren't valid. Everyone we want to talk to calls the mobile phones or leaves a message and I call back asap...

(and yes, we have to keep the landline because of our existing security system - every time my husband says he wants to get rid of the land line, I have to remind him of this fact....It's currently easier for him to keep the landline than to redo the security system:evillaugh)

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I heard a news story - maybe a year ago -
    that the past DNC list was hacked/stolen and then
    sold out to marketers !
    Don,
    this may be why in the past, DNC didn't help.

8. Bazzito52

Bazzito52 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a news story today where the government is actually holding a contest for the person or company that can come up with some sort of device to block "robo calls." :kill:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411178,00.asp

This is from the FTC, which maintains the "Do Not Call List" and is to be taken as an admission of failure of their program, which anyone who has submitted their phone number to the list can verify is the case.

Probably right up there with the "trusted flier" list which, eleven years after the 9/11 attacks, has yet to be put into place for more than 3% of the most elite customers on the most expensive bankrupt airlines.

You could always try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TeleBouncer-Blocker-TB1000-Block-Telemarketing/dp/B001GBDDJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350670573&sr=8-1&keywords=robocall+blocker

NFL Divisional Playoffs!!
  9. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of what I get is from electric companys

Some are from computers,others are live people,a few credid cards mixed in.
    The landline calls have slowed a bit,lets see what happens with the cell.
    Good luck to all you all.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I now ENJOY these calls......

Hello.....this is so and so from company X......

Me.....Oh, OK.....tell me....what are you wearing....

Them....What....

Are you Gay........I can go either way.....so what are you wearing...

Them.....hang up....

Me.......damn....this was just getting to be fun... :<)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.