1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pub 1842 - Let's hear the reviews!

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Bo333, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like to hear any reviews before I show up in just over a week.
    If you've been there please share.

2. Kickin

Kickin Flea

It just opened up today. They seem to be pushing it hard right now. My gf called MGM a few times for non-dining things the last couple of days and whoever she speaks to reminds her that this place was opening and to check it out.

3. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm excited to see MGM continuing to expand craft cocktail programs throughout their resorts.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  4. Dwayne108

Dwayne108 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just went there today. The 1842 burger was pretty good price was $18. GF had the steak salad $24 she didn't really like it. They prepare the steak to a med rare. The meat was very tender but not to her liking. We also had the lobster corn dogs $18. They where excellent. Also had a macho libre drink from the bar $12.

Overall pretty solid but they seem very un organized. I understand it is new but we waited 30 minutes. When we went in there multiple tables open. They sat us right near the kitchen where the food comes out.

Total bill was $72 dollars. Paid with express comps. tipped $15

Attached Files:

5. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review!

6. Kickin

Kickin Flea

We just went here yesterday for lunch. I had the Peanut Butter Crunch Burger which is their most popular item and one of their signature dishes. My girlfriend had the turkey burger and we also ordered the crab deviled eggs as a starter. My burger was awesome, the sweet and salty tastes of the peanut butter, bacon jam, and potato chips meshed well together on a burger and I would have it again every time. The chips did stay very crunchy and the waiter told us they had to be Ruffles crinckle-cut chips, all other chips would get soggy. My girlfriend liked her turkey burger since it was juicy whereas turkey burgers are often pretty dry. The deviled eggs were nothing great, pretty plain tasting and at $9 for 3 little pieces its kind of a waste. That's $6 per egg :) Nonetheless the prices overall were fairly cheap, typical pub prices you'd expect in Vegas.

I agree with Dwayne about the service, it was pretty disorganized. The staff was nice, just seemingly inexperienced. We waited a looooong time for our burgers after we finished our starter. We did see Brad Garrett there with a bunch of kids, not sure if they were all his. Couldn't tell what he ordered.

By the way, the new Avenue 24 Bar & Grill opened while we were there, this is the new 24 hour cafe to replace Studio Cafe, and I ate a late night meal there that was great. It was a skillet scramble full of meat, eggs, and potatoes and was seriously good late night grub food. Its what the bartender recommended and probably one of the best late night eats I've had in Vegas.

7. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate here tonight and enjoyed the meal. I actually thought service was quite excellent. A food runner brought out our crab cake appetizer and the waitress was not far behind with plates for us to share the crab cake. All the plates were cleared along with the utensils and new utensils were brought out before our entrees. We had water refills throughout dinner and I left a very decent tip because the service was excellent.

On to the food:

The crab cake ($19) is excellent! It's pretty much 100% lump dungeness crab formed into a cake, breaded, and pan-fried. There is no breading or chopped veggies mixed in. Just pure crab. A nicely acidic tomato salad was served on top of the crab cake and a green herb sauce of some sort was plated with it. The balance was perfect. The acidity cut through the grease and the sauce gave great flavor and brought richness to the otherwise delicate dish. It is a crab cake in the truest, most unadulterated form.

The burgers were pretty good as well. I had the peanut butter crunch burger and it really is a great combination. It is VERY peanut buttery, so you must love peanut butter in order to like it, but it had hints of eating a beef satay skewer at a Thai restaurant. It's a very heavy burger, but the flavors were great and the meat was cooked to exactly medium.

My friend had the bacon cheeseburger and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not get to try it, so I can't say much more about it.

The burgers come in a basket with seasoned fries. The fries were good, but I wish they were less generic. They seasoned them and added some chopped parsley, but I would have liked to see a more custom made in-house fry. The fries used are essentially the same frozen fries you get at a ball park where you order "chicken tenders and fries". The more you eat, the less impressive they are.

The only other critique I have of the place is that the patties seemed to be pre-formed purchased patties as opposed to grinding and forming patties on-site. They have an open kitchen, so you can see the cooks slapping on perfectly round machine-formed patties onto the grill. At a place of this caliber, I'd expect the kitchen staff to be forming patties by hand.

Overall, an excellent meal. The use of purchased frozen fries and purchased pre-formed patties drops them down to a B in my book, but a solid meal altogether. I was too full to try one, but for $9, you get a milkshake plus a cake. Seems like a great deal for a fun dessert.

And why has Michael Mina not thought to put that amazing crab cake between a bun and sell it as a crab burger? It would do really well. He wouldn't have to change anything. The crab cake, the tomato salad, the green sauce, a bun, and fries on the side.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  8. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We sat at the bar and ate.

• Food was pretty good, but nothing amazing or unique.
    • Fries were lame.
    • Excellent beer selection on tap.

But as for the overall vibe - honestly, it felt like an airport bar. I really enjoy both Stripsteak and American Fish, so I was excited to try Pub 1842... but disappointed in the end.

9. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there twice this trip. Here are my way-too-extensive thoughts.

The first time, I went there right when they opened at 11:30am, and sat at the bar. The staff was fantastic, including the waiter who wasn't even in charge of my section but offered to take my phone back to charge it (I was waiting for a group to show up later, and my battery was completely dead). I didn't eat a ton, just the duck spring rolls, and I enjoyed them quite a bit. To drink, I had several of the bottled/carbonated Aviations; that's one of my favorite drinks, and the carbonated version was both interesting and delicious. They served it with a glass of crushed ice (more on that later) but the bartender recommended just drinking it from the bottle with a straw, which I did. I spent about 3 hours there, first drinking Aviations and then moving on to beer, all the while bullshitting with random people at the bar. Both the bartenders and the patrons were a lot of fun.

A couple days later I ate there with a group of 10. We had made a reservation, and despite only 4 of us showing up at the scheduled time, they seated us right away. People slowly showed up over the next hour; the staff was completely fine with that, and handled it famously. Interestingly, there are some people from Michael Mina's corporate operations group hanging around there, which I found out when a woman in a suit brought over my appetizer and then commented on how I was drinking my Aviation out of the bottle (again). I told her that it was a great drink but I was concerned about the crushed ice watering it down, since it's normally served in a cocktail glass, and she told me that it was one of her favorite drinks as well and she thought the carbonated version was meant to be served with a single large ice cube, which she said the bar was supposed to be making. She said she would mention it to them and hopefully get that fixed, so I like to think I had a positive influence on the place. And please order Aviations, they're the best damn drink ever.

As far as food, I had the ahi tuna poke, which was fantastic (although a bit spicy if you're concerned about that), and the peanut butter crunch burger. I don't eat beef, so I asked them to sub a turkey patty, and they had no problem with that; I also asked for it without cheese. It was incredibly delicious, and I agree with the online reviews that basically said that it sounded odd and/or gross, but wound up being great. My only knock on it is that I thought it was slightly, slightly dry. That was probably in large part because of the turkey patty, and in part because I couldn't figure out what to add to it; I was afraid that ketchup would screw up the flavor profile, which was absolutely delicious, and that adding sriracha (which, they do have bottles of, just FYI) would not only screw up the taste, but not help with the issue. I would definitely order it again, even given the slight dryness. It was one of those dishes where, at least with the turkey patty, I felt like there was some room for improvement, but the overall taste was so good that it was a great dish. And, like I said, the dryness issue could totally be my own fault for ordering a turkey patty instead of the beef patty that the burger was designed around.

Bottom line, I would absolutely eat there again, either solo at the bar or with several people at a table.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.