1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Prime or Strip

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by FullBoat, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I have under a month until Vegas. So, it's time to start looking for my steak dinner. I like to try different places when I go. And, with being on the strip for the first time in about 10+ years there's a lot of choices.

Right now I have a reservation setup at Strip House. It's at PH, and that's where I'm staying. But, I'm also thinking about going to Prime instead. I know you can watch the fountain show while you're eating, so that would be cool.

So, question(s) is I guess, who has the better food?
    Is it better service at one place over the other?

Since I'm staying at PH it'd be nice to just go there, then back down to the tables. But, I do need a chip from Bellagio. :)

So, what's your opinion oh wise ones?

2. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a big strip house fan but haven't eaten there in a couple of years because I like to try different places.

Am going to prime for first time in a month or so.

My guess is from reading a lot of steak house threads on this forum is that prime is going to trump SH head to head in the voting

3. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't been to either but I have a reservation for Prime in three weeks since it's one of the top-tier places I have yet to try. FYI, the patio at Prime will be closed so if you were wanting to sit outside by the fountains you won't be able to.

4. shemesh

shemesh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    neither, go to delmonicos, ramsays, or craftsteak, those are the 3 highest rated places

5. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not try either of the two.

I'm a Ceasar's and Wynn so SW and Old Homestead (Nero's before) I like Biscayne but the quality has not been the same since the first trip a year ago.

I didn't like CUT so let me know how you like Prime or Strip.

I'm going the week before but I might postpone my trip a week and meet up with you guys

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

How many of those have you tried during your Vegas trips?

As to your latest question, Delmonico (no "s") is outstanding. Also not in your stated budget.

7. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first place I had an upscale dinner in Vegas was at Ramseys. Wish I could get their sticky toffee pudding in bathtub sized servings. But, I'll have to look at the other 2. Was just thinking Strip since I'm staying at PH and it's right there. Feed my face then feed my BR.

8. NickyJ

NickyJ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just had dinner at Delmonico this past weekend. I agree with ken, food and service are very good! My home base is V/P, so I've eaten at Carnevino, Morels, and CUT. CUT had been my favorite steakhouse, but the edge now goes to Delmonico. I can't help you with Prime or Strip, but understand the convenience factor of wanting to eat where you're staying and playing. Enjoy dinner wherever you pick!

9. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hummmm.. Delmonico has a good price on the Wagyu filet. Never had that kind before, but from everything I've heard it's just melt in your mouth good. Thanks Nicky and ken for giving me even more choices. :Þ

Hey, if when we win big at the craps meet on Sat, maybe I can try the one I don't pick.

10. Mafioso

Mafioso Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Iv been to all them
    And Prime as far as Im concerned is the best steak house in Vegas
    Last trip was our first time there and WARNING it can get expensive
    I had a 400 resort credit
    It was My wife my very well behaved 6 year old daughter, my very well behaved 1 year and 2 month old, and a couple of friends.
    Bill was 580, I covered 400 with the resort credit and my friends chipped in the rest and the tip.

My daughter and I shared the shrimp cocktail, and she had scallops, my wife had the lamb chops and butternut squash soup with Oysters, I had the Foie Gras appetizer, baked potato, quite possibly the best bone in ribeye Iv ever had in my life, the whole table shared the Brussel sprouts, Only Scarpetta showed me they have better brussel sprouts, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes and creamed spinach.

Like I said, it can get expensive but worth every penny.

11. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, when I go to a good steak dinner out there I plan on spending about $150 or so. So, it's not a huge shock when I get the bill normally. It'll be just me this time around. So, just a glass or 2 of wine with dinner. No expensive bottles.

12. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just ate at Prime a week ago - had a soy garlic glazed NY strip and it was incredible. Changed my whole opinion of that place.

I've had Craftsteak, Prime, Jean Georges Steakhouse, STK, and SW Steakhouse. Prime or Jean Georges would be my favorite of all of them in terms of food and service. Least impressed with STK.

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prime is one of the next two on my list to try.

I am on record that Strip House is the only high end Vegas steakhouse I would not return to, but others like it, so maybe I just had a bad experience.

But of the two, I would say Prime is recommended on here more often.

I missed the thread where he stated his budget, what is it?

14. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't. ;) I was kind of wondering that too but I have Vegas on the brain.

15. PayTriple

PayTriple The Cucumber King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've tried Jean George's at Aria, STK at Cosmo, Gordon Ramsay's at Paris and 35 Steak and Martinis at the Hard Rock.
    Jean George's is the best, followed by 35 and STK. We had a bad experience with gristle-ly meat at Ramsay's and the service was so slow there.

16. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, sorry, the question about budget is in reference to Shemesh, who has asked about steakhouses in multiple threads trying to find a consensus on the best. Apparently in one of the threads he stated how much he is willing to spend but if so I missed it.

FWIW, most of the high end strip steakhouses are pretty similar price wise unless they have a prix fixe menu.

17. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you'd be hard pressed to get out of most Steak restaus for $150 all in.

18. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you're right. Now that I think about it I think Ramsey was about $200. Downtown s a bit cheaper.

19. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For one person $150 is not that unreasonable. I've certainly gone over that, but that is largely due to tips and booze.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

These spots all pretty much mimic each other in price, meat, style. Yes, there are differences in aging, seasoning, grill or roast, Kobe v. fauxbe, various other breeds and cross-breeds, how ubercool the chef or joint thinks it is, etc. But the top-tier steakeries are all gonna start with cuts in the $40-$60 range and move from there, sides are on either side of $10 and can go up sharply above that, you order in a plat des fruits de mer and it's a small to large fistful of 20s, middling bottles of wine will be 80-100 bucks, 15-20 for a basic glass of wine or a cocktail. Throw in tip, tax, it can get spendy in a hurry. I know this isn't news to all of you here, but for those not really savvy, a narrow range of ordering can easily chew up what you thought was a good-sized budget going in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.