1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Priceline or Southwest Vacations?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by JerryD, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello everyone! Hope all is well, as it has been about a year since I've been on the boards.

We are planning our next trip, but this time we have a group of 11 people. The company my wife works for is paying for the office and their spouses for the trip. Searching for deals I found myself comparing priceline and Southwest Vacations and the price is fairly comparable. My question is, has anyone on here experienced either (or both) of these? Looking at the package deal, flight and room. Looking for the pros and cons of each. Any feedback or information would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done Priceline only for hotels, not for flight/hotel packages but I've done Southwest packages. Got a fantastic deal. You pay everything up front for either one. I do know SW you can cancel the room portion if you wish, I don't remember how late you can cancel, I want to say 72 hours before but I'm not positive. I believe Priceline is non refundable.

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I vote SOUTHWEST, back before I started getting COMPS and offers I used to use SOUTHWEST exclusively for their package deals. I once got a deal for 4 of us at Caesars for four nights, direct flights for like $380 person. We kept watching and rates just kept falling. It was actually priced cheaper than IP at the time. This was 2010, it was a great deal. For $60 tip at check in we upgraded to the new Augustus tower!

4. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done SW vacation in the past ( although not recently) and was VERY well satisfied. Ya didnt say where ya going from so I will give in detailmy experience. From CT..........used BDL when they had the direct flight from BDL ( Bradley INTL).. early morning flight.....to the ORLEANS..nice room and the car from the car rental ( believe it was AVIS) BEFORE they moved to the centralized location. Got the early morning flight out into LV around 11 am. Always had a delay with baggage ( last one out..LOL). Car rental smooth...Everything else at the Orleans was GREAT..

EXCEPT for being sick EXTREMELY SO.. the last half of the trip!!! I didn't drink any liquor not even Fernet...I gave that up . I REFUSED to give up eating......Its a Italian /Sicilian thing LOL!!..So a lot of immodium to the rescue. Flying back late morning flight to MDW ( Midway in Chicago no problems) then back to BDL.

I wouldn't hesistate to use them again if the price was in the ballpark because I LOVE flying SWA. Last 1/2 dozen times out used them exclusively..

5. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. We will be flying out of SAT (San Antonio) and a group of 11. I am leaning towards Southwest.

Ron, as the rates drop, can you change the reservations to get the cheaper rate?

Jerry

6. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless it has changed southwest vacations uses paper tickets and all that but I'd use them over priceline. I like bring able to pick my property before buying

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I start planning my trip to LV as I return from LV. I read the forum and take notes and save them in a folder.......new restaurants, events, things to see and do, and tips from fellow members. I always check both piecemeal reservations and packages. It is different for me, of course, because I am almost always solo, so the room cannot be split to make the package look cheaper. Also note that with Southwest that buying a package with swvACATIONS is different than adding a hotel when you are booking a SWA flight and it asks you if you want to add a hotel. The price can be different as well.

First I do not use the priceline name a price option. I want to know where I am staying and what airline and plane I am boarding. Packages are less flexible and early on several times I have seen early packages with SWV at about a $100 Savings for me solo. Often though can do as well or better by changing times, dates or hotels before the actual date arrives. Another thing to consider that credits with SWA and SWV are not interchangeable......thy are two separate entities within the same corporation.

That being said, if you don't enjoy checking prices constantly you may do better with a package, and I would choose Southwest Vacations, and my experience is that it is cheapest early on when offered.

Jimbo338

8. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can say I looked at Expedia and could have had round trip air and hotel for less than just the air which I found odd.

9. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found lower rates with the vacation combination too. And less of a hassle than keeping track of 11 people's flights and 11 different hotel reservations. Package deal seems to be easier to deal with. With that being said, the site only allows for 4 rooms/8 people. I tried the chat function earlier today to ask about more than 8 people but they were all busy. Will have to try it again.

Jerry

Edit: just went back to their site and there is no chat function. (Must have been one of the other many sites I visited)

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With such a large group, don't rule out going to a travel agent.

11. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hadn't thought of using a travel agent honestly. But will definitely look into that. Thanks.

Jerry

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No paper tickets last October with SW Vacations

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.