1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Priceline/Hotels.com/Third Party Booking

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Wynncore88, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wynncore88

Wynncore88 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere*

For those who have booked their stay via a 3rd party website (Priceline etc), how often are upgrade requests granted? Do you find yourself at the mercy of the front desk when checking in and intentionally given low floors and/or bad view rooms etc with little to no recourse from the front desk? Are you treated any worse than a customer who booked their reservation directly through the hotel's website?

I typically book directly through the hotel and pay a higher price just so I don't have to potentially deal with this issue. Thanks all!

2. JoJoR

JoJoR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just from an MLife perspective, you can usually find better deals booking directly with the hotel (check out smartervegas.com). You'll also earn tier credits that way.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't speak for Vegas, but I have been using Priceline for about 10 years for solo business travel. Priceline and Hotwire room assignments are typically Run of the House, which means you get assigned a room upon check in. Availability of upgrades are a function of the hotel occupancy rate and at the discretion of the clerk, so he is your best friend. SometImes all it takes is a smile and a "how's your day going" as you hand over your ID and credit card. I've been upgraded to the concierge level at Hiltons, but other times the clerk would just say "sorry, we're full tonight."

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've booked 3rd party and direct with the hotel. The front desk clerk doesn't care how you booked. I've received free upgrades plenty of times booking both ways and been turned down booking both ways for a free upgrade. People that book direct don't have more juice than those that book 3rd party.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It doesn't matter. Sometimes the SWA packages are cheaper than booking separately and I've done the sandwich no problem. As said above the clerk doesn't care one way or another how you booked your room.

6. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My understanding is that you don't get any (for eg) TR points if you don't book using the TR website. That alone has me using that website for booking now.

A/C in December!?
    Will give them a try!
  7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While hotels may be a little more selective with third party bookings in other cities that isn't the case in Las Vegas. Just ask and it is possible for you to get a free upgrade (if available and the clerk is nice to you). As with other bookings you are kind of at the mercy of the clerk to either give you a free upgrade or tell you that you have to pay more for an upgrade. Of course you could try the $20 trick to see if you get an upgrade. It is also possible to move if you have a problem or just want to move rooms.

I did receive better room rates through third party sites but many of them require you to pay up front (Hotels.com requires it but booking.com sometimes only requires payment of the first night). You are able to get more perks by booking directly, most notably that your charges may be reduced depending on your play but I find that the third party rates are best for me since I don't gamble enough to get reductions.

I did book through third party sites for other cities like San Fran and did receive lower end rooms but that wasn't the case in Vegas.

8. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember when you book through a third party, you cannot get your room comped on the backend if your play warrants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.