1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

predominantly African American Clubs?

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by chanel3, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chanel3

chanel3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    any good clubs that alot of single men go to? are there any clubs in vegas that are predominantly african american?

2. streetshine

streetshine Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    poetry in caesars

3. VP PLAYER

VP PLAYER Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most do

Many single men in most clubs.

Most clubs are a mix of all races.

4. chanel3

chanel3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ok thanks for the responses!

5. farkingidiot

farkingidiot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Poetry closed a long time ago

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Anyone else remember the club scene that Vegas Club tried to develop a couple years or so ago catering to a black audience? It really seemed odd, since the Vegas Club doesn't have the kind of vibe necessary for being a club.
    It drew some blacks in, but really seemed disjointed.

7. Manchester_United205

Manchester_United205 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gallery has a lot of hip hop music and so does Body English on certain nights.

8. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The entertainment was fantastic. I was shocked when it was stopped. From what I was told a few people ruined for everyone.

9. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it ok to ask about predominantly white clubs?:poke:

10. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure.

1. Just don't ask here. Make your own thread.

2. Pick a club....and there ya go. It's predominantly white.

You're welcome in advance.

:poke:

11. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Judging from the Karaoke I've had to suffer hearing while eating at Ellis Island I'm guessing the bar there is! :evillaugh

12. dunebug81

dunebug81 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever the club is at Rio makes me feel like I'm at home in Atlanta because of all the black people there. Generally I don't notice stuff like that but since there are so few black people in Vegas seeing them going/coming to the club makes me take notice. Eddie Griffin also is at the Rio Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. If you've never seen his stand up its pretty good.

13. T-Dubb

T-Dubb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    P.S......with Texas Pete Hotsauces..anyone has the hookup

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just saw him last week and he went for....3 hours.

He was hilarious.

N**ga hand!....and then a drink pops out.

Patron and champagne....a Griffin.

15. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hhhhmmmmm I left a comment here and it got deleted................

was factual..........................

all the night clubs around here like this end up closed. eventually violence gets them shut down for good. Stuff like what happened on the strip this morning........

16. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dunno what your post was but there was a bit o' cleanup to make the thread tidy. I'm a bit new here and I see it is HEAVILY moderated. It's cool beans so threads don't mucked up by some people even if the censoring is a bit heavy.

When you say "all clubs like this end up closed" do you mean ones that play mostly R&B/hip-hop?

I like all types of music but it would have been cool to go to ONE that played this or at least a nice mix. I chilled at Gold Lounge for a tad and it mixed it up nicely. Met some cool folks there.

Haze was kinda full of suck.

I'd like to know of a good latin club too but that's for another thread.

17. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yup, the hip hop clubs don't usually last long. All it takes is a couple idiots creating a violent atmosphere and it ruins it for everyone else.

I'm sure the same would be true for Vegas. Granted extra security would eliminate a lot of it but pretty soon you're spending so much on security measures that it isn't worth the hassle or cost. My father-in-law used to own one of the larger security companies around here before he retired. He had all kinds of guys on Friday and Saturday nights working the local hip hop clubs. You have to hire a couple of security guards at $20+/hr (for a small club/bar) it really starts cutting into the profits.

18. farkingidiot

farkingidiot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From my perspective, hip hop clubs in Vegas haven't made a go of it due to perception and economics, not violence. I'm an old guy and have been going to Vegas over 10 years. I remember The Beach, Seven Ice and Poetry (Met Slick Rick there.) They went to the wayside due to either location or economics. With Vegas being a global place, it's a lot easier to sell electronica or house music to the overseas traveler, than hip hop, which is a pretty selective niche globally. We forget just how much of the WORLD comes to Vegas.

Just by way of comparison, I was in Italy and Spain a few months ago. Could I find hip hop? Nope. (Okay, I found a few places in Barcelona, but that was it.) Could I find house/electronica. Yup.

There's also the perception thing. I told this story a few years ago, but I met one of the doorman at a VERY popular club that is still going today. He is black, as am I. We ended up running into each other after hours, off property and he filled me in on the nightclub's scene. One thing he said was there always was a conscious effort at this nightclub to start playing electronic/trance/etc, if the crowd looked like it was getting too black. The owner of the hotel basically trickled down word he didn't want it turning into a "black club." He hated having to work there with that mindset, but he needed the job.

Poetry nightclub was the best hip-hop club I'd ever been to in Vegas. Know part of why they failed? They were forced to file a discrimination lawsuit against Ceasars cause they would block the entrance to the club. The perception was they didn't want a "black club" in the forum shoppes. (The suit was ultimately dismissed)

Vegas has traditionally been afraid to play music that draws a black crowd, imho, due to the overall perception it gives and fear of appearing to exclude the masses for a niche market.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, but I thought I had some insight you may find interesting.

It's a struggle for me having a strong party night in Vegas anymore. As soon as things start thumping to my liking, which is a slower beat, which I think lends itself to dancing, they start speeding the beat up where, for me, dancing isn't an option, as the music seems more conducive to jumping around and moving randomly. Lavo is great on Tues and Wed for holding it down all night. Tao wavers back and forth with the two music styles. Chateau usually starts out hip-hoppy, then transitions to the faste beat stuff as it gets packed.Although they have a tiny club, Mix at Mandalay throws it down pretty regularly. Marquee's main room does pretty well, but for me, the place attracts such a ******y crowd, I go elsewhere.

19. paperposter

paperposter VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lax on wesnday is more african american than most clubs and alot of african american females also there.

20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hot damn you hot the nail on the head! LMAO

It's either listening music or "just move some typa whicha way" music.

I went to Haze and they have a decent song on every 6th or 7th song or somesuch. Females in short dresses were on platforms moving off-beat conversing. Fellas were mainly just jumping around.

Either they were having fun and that's what it's all about but it was a bit boring. I did enjoy some of the light show but I'd like to dance too.

I just came from a club in the DC area last night and a DJ playing the wrong song will clear a dance floor, the right song will get them right back out there.

Mind you, I'm almost 40 and this club mixed hip-hop (maybe 20%), R&B, and was actually mostly old R&B. the band there would mix hip-hop, R&B, and classic R&B (example they did Mtume's Juicy Fruit but had a rapper do Biggy's rap). Being in the DC area, of course there was a splash of go-go (Chuck Brown).

I'd love to see a club in Vegas simply have some classic R&B. Too much electronica....

I will definitely check-out Tao and Lavo on my next trip (probably this year).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.