1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

PRE trip and PRE dictions

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by NOTwheelingisland, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOTwheelingisland

NOTwheelingisland Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hi all--
    I'm writing this as much for myself but glad you're tagging along.

My wife and I leave tomorrow (Saturday) morning for LV. Nothing unusal there as I get to go out 3 or 4 times a year. I've written a trip report or two but often don't (sorry--when I get the pleasure of reading them I know it's only fair to reciprocate).

Anyway the potential issue this trip (and why I want to say this NOW instead of later) is because I'm mixing up where I'll be staying/playing. For 20 years I've been a loyal MLife and before that MGM Players Club member. The Mirage was the first place we stayed and it and MGM properties have always held a special place in my heart (and wallet). When we'd go to other properties to eat/see shows we might play $100 or so here or there but it was highly unusual for us to gamble significant money or time at non-MGM properties. That loyalty has paid off for us over the years too--I can't recall the last time I paid for a room; and many times food and freeplay are tossed in as well. My typical 3 day trip will involve about $3-$4 grand in play; decent but not huge. So I've always felt pretty good about my offers.

OK--cut to this trip. I'm booking it for a convention and have 15-20 other employees/spouses going. I waited too long and couldn't get a good rate at the Mirage. Wanting to be a good steward of company funds I chose Venetian as they offered rooms for all of us (some at the conference rate too). I stayed once at V a long time ago when an America West flight was cancelled and they gave us $$ to stay somewhere and we thought we'd give it a try. It wasn't long after it opened and it seemed nice enough. I've gotten more sophisticated with my tastes and gambling since those days (if America West was in the picture you know it was a while ago!) so we'll see about this time.

The bottom line is I'm cutting the apron strings of MLife. I know there's been alot of complaints on here about them but I feel they've always treated me fairly. But I am curious to give V/P a real spin (no pun intended). I will do my gambling there and see what happens. I've not heard much good about Grazie but we'll see.

So if I win big and have a crush on V/P when I get back and write the real trip report I want it in writing that I have my reservations/concerns going in. Likewise if the trip is a complete washout then I want it written that at the same time I have some reservations I'm also excited to break free of MGM for a trip and test some other waters.

Lastly after a couple of days (Sat-Tue morn) my wife and I are going to take a side trip to Vancouver returning to LV on Friday afternoon before we head back to OH on Saturday. Not wanting to completely cut the strings I am staying at Mandalay Bay on Friday. :)

More to come...Grazie opinions welcomed! Good luck everyone.

2. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There will be "conventioneers" everywhere, have fun! Grazie is pretty stiff - If you hit a streak I would recommend finding a host and talking to them. If not you probably wont get much based on 3k.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To each his own, but after what V/P pulled a couple years back, canceling rooms, cutting comps, stating they were going after the whales and business traveler forget it...I haven't given them a dime since then....good luck though I hope you have a different experience....I will stick with MLife and my host where I know I'm welcome and treated very well :peace:

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would enjoy the room and the property but walk down the street to gamble, and save yourself the dissapointment. 3 or 4K wont impress them much at all.

5. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely agree. No reason to gamble there at all. Just cross the street to Mirage to do your gambling.

6. NOTwheelingisland

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys are killing me!! :cry: What happened to the grass is greener! :cheers:

I guess they've burned alot of "us" and now I guess I know why I haven't felt too much of an urge to gamble there.

I'll be anxious to get it started and write up the TR.

Thanks all for the feedback.

7. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love V/P restaurants. I would play there a lot as well, but I know my budget(very similar to yours) will not get me free rooms unless I play it all there and even then it may depends on the weekend I want to go.

I have the same issue with Wynn. I know they will not care about my $3k.

I'm fine with all of these though. I have never needed a high end room. Just a guess, but I assume V/P rooms are nicer than Mirage. I've stayed at Mirage and even some of that is overkill for me.

Good luck to you at V/P though. Some great restaurants there. Try and find the dealers with emotions. They seem to be rare at Venetian.

8. garrisonsmama

garrisonsmama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm probably not near as big a player, but I spent about 3 hours playing slots at Venetian at about $2.00 a spin in August, and just got an offer for 4 free nights at Palazzo in October. The nights coincided to the end of the trip we had planned so we are going to give Palazzo a try for a couple nights.

This made it seem to me like offers wouldn't be too hard to get through Grazie.

9. NOTwheelingisland

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes a couple of our favorite spots are in Venetian; Bouchon and Postrio. I think we'll give B&B a try this time (sounds like the bar might be fun to eat at).

It will be interesting to compare offers, ect after the dust settles. In the meantime I'm sure looking to the trip itself; what a nice/and lucky problem to have--comparing the two programs!

Good luck to everyone out there now. I will fill in the blanks in a week or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.