1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Prayers for Moore Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bubbavegas, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oklahoma just experienced what they are currently saying was the largest tornado ever recorded, 2.25 miles wide at times, and the city of Moore took a direct hit. The damage is massive with schools taking direct hits in two cases while the kids were there, at the time there is Search and Rescue going on at both along with the huge area that took this hit. Don't know how many of ya are religious folks but for those who are please say a prayers for these folks, they need all they can get.

Cosmo Christmas
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope everyone is safe and were able to get to shelter in time.

I'm sick at home and I fell asleep watching tv after lunch. I woke up to see a map from Moore to Stroud, OK. Those were my grandparent's last names and their families go way back in that area. I've only been near one tornado (like within 30 miles, so yeah) and that was enough for me. They scare me.

3. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are safe here it was around 10 miles from my house Sonya.
    For those who want to donate help the Red Cross is taking donation via text. Text FOOD to 32333 or REDCROSS to 90999 or Redcross.org. Thanks to all.

Cosmo Christmas
  4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am glad you are safe!

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm at home today and been watchin'... I just can't comprehend the power it took to create the devastation I'm seeing... so many homes, just the foundation left... the school... unbelievable!!!

6. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you are safe Bubbavegas, lived on the north side of OKC about 30 years ago and still remember all of the storms. I'm hoping that line weakens, though it doesn't look like it, as it is marching up I-44 right at us.

Our prayers are with you and the surrounding area.

Holiday Gift Shoppe
  7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thoughts and prayers are with all touched by this tragedy!

8. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be safe JPW I have friends up around your neck of the woods as well, hope like hell this thing weakens before it gets to another populated area. FWIW if you were around here 30 years ago the town of Moore is far from what it was at that time with probably 10X the population it had then.

Cosmo Christmas
  9. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prayer from the Episcopal facebook page this afternoon.

O God of all creation, you stand as mysteriously behind the forces of nature as you are revealed in the frailty of humankind; accept our prayers for all those who suffer from the ferocity of the winds and the battering of the rains. May you restore all those who are lost to those who love them, give to those who mourn a sure confidence in your abiding love, and fill all of with strength to meet the days ahead with faith, hope, and love, for it is in such that we meet you and act on your compassionate behalf. Amen.

later, GVJ

10. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember going to OU games and there wasn't much between crossroads mall and Norman. Looks like it's gonna be here in about 30 minutes, Springfield is getting nailed right now.

We moved up here in 81.

Holiday Gift Shoppe
  11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Just not something we Left Coasters can really get our arms around, tornadoes and hurricanes. We do understand loss. :( Be as safe as you can be, everyone.

12. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had to call my mom in Norman two nights in a row now to see if she was okay. She has a full basement that all the neighbors come over to stay during threats.

I was getting choked up watching the news and them talking about the schools. The pictures of the devastation are hard to comprehend.

13. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heartbreaking.

More bad weather is forecast. Be safe everyone in the path.

14. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would also urge people to hop online and research some local non profits in the effected area. They have a lot lower operating costs and overhead and more of you money will be applied directly to those that need it.

We had a fire here last summer that burned down my cousins home and the rest of his neighborhood. Tons of people in the state were donating to one of the large nation wide charities. They showed up a couple days later with cookies and milk. In the meantime, the local non-profits were on the scene that day helping people.

15. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is a link that lists many locals, so the Red Cross does not get everything, I spent much of last night helping receive and coordinate supply deliveries for the first responders and victims and the Red Cross was the last to show with the least just FYI.
    http://newsok.com/article/3571242?post_id=1647526102_10200663985475865#_=_

Cosmo Christmas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.