1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

police will no longer respond to fender benders

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by petunia, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petunia

petunia Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep... this is currently getting and will continue to get some play, as Clark County Sheriff is up for election. The current Sheriff (Gillespie) is not running for re-election and has been to the County Commission numerous times to invoke a small sales tax increase for "More Cops". The Commission on very close votes has turned down each proposal. The Sheriff is done with them and now going to do some internal maneuvering to reallocate resources. The candidates, as you might imagine ALL have their own ideas and takes on this. The Sheriff's race in Clark County, when the incumbent isn't running, is ALWAYS a source of great entertainment, debate and banter. Will be a fun one to watch the next several months.

3. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "But insurance providers are pessimistic about this approach. The new system could raise insurance rates within the city by elevating the risk of accident fraud, said Michael Geeser, the head of the Nevada Insurance Council.

“When the police go out, they are trained and educated in what to ask and what to find, and commuters aren’t,” he said."

...So keep rates the same for commuters who pass an online training. Not that hard, and proactive. Besides, this Michael Geeser is paving the way for more profits for his clients.

Our city has had this policy for decades. It hasn't really been a problem. Except for traffic issues, why should a cop show up to a parking lot dent? There may be other reasons to show up, but it's unnecessary for a fender bender.

4. Beefcake

Beefcake Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't have a decent camera in your phone already, get a camera to carry in the car and take plenty of pics of damage to both cars. Also, download and print up a few accident report forms- here's a link to some I've found: http://www.thebggroup.com/pdfs/AutomobileAccidentReportForm.pdf
    Keep a couple in your car. They will help you remember to document all the info you need for your insurance company.

You'll need to really cover your ass from now on.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And, no longer a need to do what they say - copy down the other drivers license and insurance card.

PUT THAT PEN AWAY!

Take a picture of both. Quick, easy and ACCURATE!

6. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :nworthy:

7. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have RCMP which is federal but they don't come out for minor fender benders either. Has to be over $1000 damage or injuries.

8. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the last sheriff actually thought people would vote to increase taxes for more cops? I think he got it backwards, I'd pay more for LESS cops. Seriously though, if they dont have enough time to respond to an accident then they certainly shouldn't have the time for speed traps, hooker stings, etc.

9. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fenders benders are usually a waste of time anyway since the cops rarely cite anyone.

A phone camera is your friend here. Take video and pics of everything then get off the road.

10. Kickin

Kickin Flea

This policy probably makes sense. But I've seen that Vegas Strip show a few times and kept seeing half a dozen cops surrounding one kid who was drunk and wandering aimlessly, or someone who was selling a little bit of weed. Its like they caught Capone. There was a scene where a bunch of cops responded to and I believe arrested some middle aged tourist for slapping a police horse on the butt. The cop who put the cuffs on him was on such a power trip it was disgusting.

There is probably a lot more froth in that department than just responding to fender benders and its the type of froth that comes across as overreach by the police, whereas responding to fender benders is largely just administrative.

11. Icedgenes

Icedgenes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take pictures, get statements from anyone nearby and if possible get a police officer to write up an exchange of information form and jot down an informal opinion on fault.
    My son was rear ended last September, police wrote an exchange form and verbally noted the other guy was obviously at fault. Daughter photoed the damages to our car, other guy had none so she skipped it.
    Reported to insurance co....month later the guy tries claiming damages and injuries to self and passengers (he was alone). My insurance covered but we had to wait 6 months for arbitration to clear my son and recover the deductible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.