1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Poker tournaments

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by deanomorris, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanomorris

deanomorris Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi guys, im heading to Vegas for the first time in 3 weeks and love a bit of tournament Poker. Im staying at the MGM and have seen there are daly tournaments at 11:05am which i was going to get involved with but was wondering if anyone knew how popular these were and how many people played roughly?

Also does anyone have any favourite places for tournament play that i should go and check out?

2. allinpflop

allinpflop Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out allvegaspoker.com
    You can get an idea on the structure and roughly how many participants you can expect for each tourney.

3. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of poker info you might want is here
    http://www.allvegaspoker.com/
    the trip reports will talk a lot about people's favorite poker rooms.

4. SikDmax

SikDmax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have a nightly game at 7:00pm I think also, $75 buy in except for Fri and Sat which I think was $120 or 125 buy in?

5. deanomorris

deanomorris Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks guys!

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The MGM morning tournament is one of the more popular of the 'poor structure' tourneys. I've never played it where there were less than 70 people. But then I always go on weekends, so I'm not sure how it does on weekdays. But for reference, 70 is a ton for the kind of tournament that it is (low buy in, fast levels)

7. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Weekdays can be as few as 3 tables, don't think I've ever seen it less than 3.

8. VegasBaby!

VegasBaby! Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I really like the poker room at the Monte Carlo. They have a 9am, 6pm and an 11pm tourney daily. I also believe they have a special 11am tourney. I think it's well ran and the dealers and room mgrs are nice. Cocktail waitress is always around and quick with your order. The morning tourneys normally have around 3 tables. The evening tourneys 3-4 tables. I do very well at that poker room so that probably helps my liking for it. Of course you have your drunks and your fish but the normal player at the MC is of decent or better caliber. I think it's one of the best kept secrets as far as poker rooms on the strip.

9. Emeraldo

Emeraldo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive played both the MGM and Monte Carlo in the mornings. The MGM has a bigger number of entries and thus higher payouts and is friendly. Monte Carlo as already mentioned is smaller ( usually 2 or 3 tables ). The dealers and staff are very friendly and the waitress is always there. Fantastic to start the day off there.

10. k9dr

k9dr Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not played tournaments at MGM. In general, lower buy in tournaments have a higher % rake and a faster structure. The blinds go up so fast they mostly become shove fests after the 2nd or 3rd level. They can still be fun and profitable and have the advantage of only taking 2 or 3 hours max to play.

My favorite tourneys are at Aria and Venetian. For a $125 buy in you get a well structured tournament with slower blind escalation and relatively long levels. However, they usually attract more skilled players and can take 9 or 10 hours to finish.

11. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. Pay the extra $30-$40 {if you have the time of course} for the better structure. The Venetian has excellent drinks service as well as tidy little cocktail servers.

Not sure about Aria?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.