1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Plaza Slot Tournament Oct. 19-23

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by DonD, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Nov 5, 2004
    So Cal 91748
    Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Wife (Jennifer) and I received an invitation to the Plaza for a slot tournament with comped rooms, etc. It was for Sun, Mon & Tues. We left home for the drive on Sun. morning and it took 3.5 hours to get there. Traffic was light and the drive was uneventful. They have started work on the second rest stop that has been closed for a couple of years or so. Good news for us So. Cal. drivers.

Got checked in and decided to take a ride down the strip just to see all the construction that has stopped. It looked awful with all those cranes and construction mess. The drive down the strip was no problem at all. Traffic was very light.

Drove back to the Plaza, got my pre beer hamburgers at McDs. Always do that before I get started. After that fine meal, the wife went her way and I headed for the bar that our friend Tim works at. Sat at my so called lucky machine at the bar and it was nasty to me. Talked to Tim for an hour or so. He said that business has been pretty good at the bar for the past few months. I think that the $2 beers are helping.

Paul U. came by and said hello and took me on a small tour to show me some of the new stuff they have done.
    The Aqua Lounge is done.
    The stage and seating area has to already be enlarged due to the popularity.
    Live band on F, S & S.
    Karaoke on Weds.
    They added a bikini 21 pit with some hot dealers on weekends, very good rules and $5 min.
    The Race & Sports book has been improved. They have a contest every week that is free for football. It starts at $6,000 and if no one hits it carries over. This week it was up to $42,000. You have to pick all the pro teams (no points) and hit them all.
    He said they have started to remodel the rooms.

Did our registration for the Slot T. that started on Mon. morning then gambled for the rest of Sunday. Results were not good. I don’t want to talk about it.

Got comps for the buffet and the watermelon was very good. The rest was not.
    Played our first session of the tournament and both of us got above average scores. Gambled a little and decided to see Viva Las Vegas. The cost of the show is one drink at $5. We have seen the show before and they have omitted a couple of acts. Still a pretty good way to waste a couple of hours in the afternoon. The comedian is the best part.

Now it’s time for our afternoon slot session. Same as the morning, not bad, not good. Oh well, the price was right.

Time to party and gamble now. Started off OK but it turned pretty bad for me. Did my Fremont St. walk with a cool one in hand. Love that. Went to Golden Gate to check out the Go-go girls and they weren't there. The platforms that they dance on were there though. It must only be on weekends. Went to the Golden Nugget, they seemed pretty busy and the pool looks better every time I see it. Next stop was Binion’s, and they have a party pit there. Dealers lookin good plus good rules. Walked over to the Spike to see what’s new and it looked the same as it did last month. No table games yet.

On the way back to the Plaza, I stopped at Hogs n Heffers. It was about like this video:

One interesting thing I saw was these two biker dudes that were pretty messed up and one says to the bar girl to call for their limos. Anyway, about ten minutes later these two hot bikes come roaring down the sidewalk, each driven by a very hot biker girl and the two dudes jump on and off they go. I guess you had to be there.
    Back to the Plaza and play craps and BJ with no success.
    I was given two Dinner Show tickets for the Rat Pack. The wife and her girlfriend that lives in Vegas went and they said the show and dinner were very good. Next trip maybe I’ll go. They have been getting about 500 people a night is what I was told.

Went to the pit to get breakfast comps and decided to try the Great Moments Room instead of the buffet. We both had steak n eggs and the steaks were the best that I’ve had in a long time. I think the price was six or seven dollars. It was so good we went back on Wednesday morning before we drove home.
    We then went to play our final round of the tournament and both of us got pretty good scores. I was sure we would be in the money.

I found a VP machine that’s called Spin Poker. I just kicked butt for about three hours. Gave wife a couple hundred I was doing so good. I loved that machine.

Now it was time for the BBQ and prize presentation up by the pool. The food and beverages were good. The slow cooked beef was outstanding. People, me too, were loading their plates with it.

Now it’s time for the prizes. We both had over 9,000 points and were feeling pretty cocky. The first score that paid out was over 14,000. Too funny, I was so sure. Anyway, after that they did a drawing for cash. The first ticket out of the drum was for $1,000 and whoopee, it was Jennifer's number. She gave me half. Now I have a pocketful. Oh, but in the morning I didn’t. I don’t think I like 10X odds anymore.

Came home tired, somewhat depressed and pissed at myself. As I’ve said before, I won’t do that again. :rolleyes2:
  2. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Oct 28, 2006
    anglo american in Tampa
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    ahahha :thumbsup:

nice one don - I got the invite to that tourney but couldn;t make it.

glad you have a fairly good time... hope your lovely wife did too!
  3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Nov 2, 2001
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice write up Don :thumbsup:

Too bad the gambling gods weren't better to you.
  4. mercurialmike

mercurialmike Tourist

Nov 25, 2006
    Henderson, Nevada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    The New Plaza

Thanks, I enjoyed reading your great trip report DonD!

500 people a night is a pretty good turnout for a show if I remember their showroom. I live near Vegas and have heard some good things about the Rat Pack show, so I plan on catching the show soon. If anybody has seen it and can review it, please post here or send me a note.

I have never had any great luck at the Plaza so I can feel your pain...
  5. J Johnson

J Johnson Guest

Also at Plaza slots Tournament 19-23

Don, I was at the plaza's Big John's Slot Tourney and BBQ had little over 9000 pts. got nothing but had
    fun. Played alot of poker at Binion's double booked at Plaza and Binions stayed mostly at Binion's. Your wife had good luck to get 1000.00.
  6. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Jun 29, 2007
    City of Angels
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR don, and glad that Jen got the 1K prize :D How nice of her to give you half....was she drunk? :evillaugh
  7. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Jul 8, 2006
    Tacoma, WA
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice little trip you had...well, not you, your wife seemed to do pretty good though.

The first ticket out of the drum was for $1,000 and whoopee, it was Jennifer's number. She gave me half. Now I have a pocketful. Oh, but in the morning I didn’t. I don’t think I like 10X odds anymore.
    I bet that's the last time she does that.
  8. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Apr 1, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report Don. Sounds like you got your ass handed to you. Get them next time around. :wave:
  9. Beach Crazy

Beach Crazy Hostess With the Mostess

Jun 30, 2002
    Central Illinois
    wooohooooo Miss Jennifer!!! :blowkiss: See Don, the trip wasn't a total loss and they'll always be a next time. :wink

Thanks for the report!
  10. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Jan 16, 2004
    South Texas
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the post. Sorry the craps table was not generous.

later, GVJ
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.