1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Playing for less than the table minimum

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by mrem3200, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrem3200

mrem3200 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw on a trip report a while back that someone was playing BJ in the high limit room (don't remember where) for a few thousand a hand and they let his friend bet $5 or $10 even thought it was at least a $100 table. Anyway, I was at the Cromwell earlier this week playing at the $25 tables near the back . Pretty much just me and the dealer and I was betting $50-$125 per hand. I asked the pit if my friend could play $5-$10 a hand. He said he would need to get approval then came back a few minutes later and said sure go ahead (the sense I got was that he made the decision on his own) but that he would have to stop playing at that level when X happened, I didn't hear exactly was X was (shift change maybe?). We played at the table for a while and they never made him stop or up his bet. When a new dealer came they asked if he was grandfathered in to play that level and we said he was and they were fine with it. At one point 2 other guys came and were betting $100-$200 a hand and the dealer and pit didn't say anything to my friend. He plays pretty good basic strategy so we were not afraid of the other guys complaining about the $5 guy making bad plays and "messing up" the table. They never said anything about it. When I first asked I expected them to say no, so I was pretty surprised they let him play at the lower level. Another reason I love the Cromwell. Was this pretty unusual at this level? I would think so. I can see them making the accommodation for the guy betting $2,000 in the high limit room. But for me betting $100 at a $25 table?

2. pokerbucketlist

pokerbucketlist Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they think of you as a pair, all or none, then they are still getting an average bet of 52.50 per hand. Makes sense to take it.

3. mrem3200

mrem3200 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that is it better than neither one of us playing and made sense. I didn't in any way make it seem like I wouldn't play if they didn't let him. I was there first playing for half an hour of so when he just came to watch. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask and didn't have any intention of leaving if they said no.

4. flyguyfl

flyguyfl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This makes sense and is a good business decision if nobody else complains.

5. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    on reserved tables, anything can happen. In high limit, its totally up to the pit to call upstairs if they want. A lot of the times, ill ask them to change 300 min to 100.
    Even at Aria, ive asked htem to change it from 50 to 25 if its slow.

If its a common denom, like 25 to 10, I assume they would just ask you to play at a lower limit table.

fk

6. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. They allowed it because at your bet level, they looked at it as you playing two hands.
    If you had colored out 10 minutes later, but your friend had stayed? I suspect they would have forced him to bet $25+.

Oh and the "when X happens" was almost certainly "when the $100 player colors out".

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in the HL room if you're a known player, they pretty much let you do whatever you want as long as you stay and play.

let your friends sit, drink, play, take them to a club, whatever they want.

8. mrem3200

mrem3200 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally get that. But I am by no means a high roller and it was a $25 table on the floor and since I was only betting around $100 per hand I thought it was great they let him play.

9. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, last night they let me play at $100 min at a $500 table in club prive in Bellagio because I am known to the pit and dealers. Very nice.

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also it is common for lower limit tables to go to $25 (still a pretty low limit) at night and have a player or two grandfathered in.
    Newer players shouldn't care anyway.

11. finsfanscott

finsfanscott Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typically play at the black chip level, my dad sweats a $10 table. Whenever we go to Vegas and hit the high limit room, I ask if I play black, can my dad play $10? About 3 out of 4 times the answer is "sure". This is at TI, Mirage, Bellagio and MGM. Hope this helps,

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.