1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pie Recipes

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by HoyaHeel, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't want to continue to hijack Chef's thread. Here is the applesauce pie and the chocolate chess pie. BUT I actually didn't mean the chocolate chess pie is my decadent favorite - my decadent favorite is the Hotel Hershey Derby Pie. Sorry it's a few days too late :peace: For pie crusts, depending on my mood, I make my great-grandmother's crust, but sometimes I buy the roll-out crust in the refrigerated section of the grocery store - I like that better than the frozen ones. Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee is a really good crust recipe - I've used that a few times too (it nicely transitions to a savory tart crust too:peace:)

Applesauce Pie

Makes 1 9-inch pie, serves 6

Pastry for 1-crust 9-inch pie
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tsp grated nutmeg
    ½ cup (1 stick) melted butter
    1 cup chunky unsweetened applesauce [I like to make my own - takes very little time]
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (unless the applesauce is tart)

Preheat over to 350° F. Roll out the pastry and line a 9-inch pie pan; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the eggs until just combined. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, and nutmeg. Add the sugar mixture to the eggs and blend. Add the butter, applesauce, vanilla, and lemon juice (if using). Combine gently, being careful not to overmix; you want to avoid having too much air in the batter.

Pour the filling into the pastry shell and bake for 45 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden brown. Remove from the oven, cool completely on a rack, and serve.

2. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hotel Hershey Derby Pie
    1 cup granulated sugar
    4 tbl cornstarch
    2eggs, lightly beaten
    ½ cup butter, melted and cooled
    3 tbl bourbon (OR 1 tsp vanilla)
    ½ or 1 cup pecans, chopped
    6oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
    Pastry for 9” pie

Preheat oven to 350

1. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium bowl; beat in eggs. Mix in butter, bourbon, chocolate, and nuts.
    2. Pour into pastry shell
    3. Bake at 350 until pie top is puffy and lightly browned.
    4. COOL PIE COMPLETELY. If you do not, what you cut will be a piece of chocolately sugary soup.
    5. Top with ice cream or Derby whipped crea,

Derby Whipped Cream
    ½ cup heavy cream
    2 tbl powdered sugar
    1 tsp bourbon OR ½ tsp vanilla

Beat cream with sugar to soft peaks. Add bourbon and beat to stiff peaks.

You can freeze this – bake, cool well, wrap in foil, freeze. When serve, unwrap and warm in 300 oven for 35-40 minutes.

3. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHESS PIE

Ingredients
    (1 pie)
    1/2 cup butter
    2 oz unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup creme de cacao liqueur
    2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 baked pie shell
    Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream (optional)

Procedure
    Preheat oven to In a medium saucepan over low heat melt butter and chocolate. Remove from heat. Blend in sugar, eggs, liqueur, flour, vanilla and salt. Beat until smooth. Pour into the pie shell. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Notes
    I've made it using chocolate almond liqueur instead of creme de cacao. It came out OK, and had a hint of a nutty flavor in the background.

Time: 20 minutes preparation, 1 hour cooking and cooling.

4. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know any recipes but I an very very good at eating the finished product!

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Hoya,
    I'd like to try them, but can't bring myself to putting a stick of butter in each one. The crust already has ample fat content.

6. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's one of the many reasons I'm not a baker:peace: I make them for holiday or special occasion dinners and possibly a work event - though for potlucks, I'm usually bringing a salad or vegetarian dish:thumbsup:

Seriously, I probably make "dessert" once every two months. Since I don't have a sweet tooth, it's just not where I want to spend my calories.....Red wine or potato chips -those have my attention:nworthy:

7. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG, all three look great!! I plan to try them all, but for some special occasion(s).

Desserts are definitely MY guilty pleasure, but for everyday I try to eat desserts with some redeeming qualities - Pudding, light ice cream/frozen yogurt, or fudge bars for at least a little calcium, or something fruit-based like apple crisp or strawberries, angel food cake, and vanilla yogurt parfaits. (I try - but plenty of days it's brownies or cookies. At least they're usually homemade... ;))

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just announced a baking contest at work - June 7. I might have to make the Derby pie :peace: Or blueberry if mine are ripe at home by then.....

9. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My derby pie did win first place. It was good. But there were also very few entries, so I'm not breaking my arm patting myself on the back:evillaugh

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.