1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pick your seat when booking southwest??

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by g8rb8k8, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just logged into Southwest to see how many RR points I had and now they are showing a picture of a plane and letting you select a seat. Hmmm...wonder how that is going to work out for those of us that have already secured our flights without that option. I didn't get the early bird option for the 12.50 .....so I assume I will be sitting on the wing....lol.
    I am just trying to figure out what kind of mess they are going to have with boarding the plane and their game plan. I am assuming they will let those that got the option of selecting their seat board first...then those that paid the "extra" (who should be really happy to see loads of people boarding in front of them...lol) and those like me....who has had the flight secured since May and would be happy with a Mid B boarding, that will be boarding last.
    I would have thought that they would have tried that out on their next batch of flights (6 mos out)
    Should be interesting :)

2. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it is the picture on the main page, it is showing you can choose any seat on the airplane, but the left and right seats of the flight deck are unavailable...... Meaning you can sit anywhere except the cockpit..... Trying to be funny..... Is this the picture you saw?

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you lost me at Southwest and picking your seat, LOL

"What you need to know to travel:

Don’t forget to check in for your flight(s) 24 hours before your trip on southwest.com® or your mobile device.
    Southwest Airlines does not have assigned seats, so you can choose your seat when you board the plane. You will be assigned a boarding position based on your checkin time. The earlier you check in, within 24 hours of your flight, the earlier you get to board.
    WiFi, TV, and related services may vary and are subject to change based on assigned aircraft.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure that's what g8 saw... it caught my eye the other day too.

5. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree thought I'm not sure why a southwest picture showing all seats except the cockpit available with the caption 'pick a seat, any seat' would be interpreted as some kind of policy change. Seems perfectly in line with their current open seating policy to me.

6. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer! I was hoping it meant Southwest was rolling out seat assignments! I'm flying them MCO - LAS upcoming Sunday to Friday. I did buy EBCI expecting to secure an aisle seat (forward of exit row preferred.) If I'm lucky enough to get the exit row or bulkhead, all the better. Five hours with the miserable devolve seating, softened by my drink coupons...

President's Week School Vacation in Las Vegas
  7. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    aaaaah ok.....i guess i didn't get the joke LOL :)

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No change here folks. Move along.

Yes, you can pick any seat you want... when you board.

9. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EBCI means you get anything after A15 (on a full flight) A1-15 are for business ticket level and A-list members first....it's all on their website

10. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I purchase EBCI for every Southwest flight since they rolled out that option. I'm fortunate in that I've never gotten a "B" but sure do know that it can happen. As long as I get an aisle seat, I'll be OK (claustrophobic), but forward of exit row is a bonus.

President's Week School Vacation in Las Vegas
  11. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah I'm close so leaving Burbank, CA..... the front door is a ramp and packed, the back door has the old fashion staircase, not busy and a fast way to find a seat

buuuuuuut at LAS they only exit from the front, meaning those of us that took a 1hr "disco nap" have to wait for almost the whole plane to disembark

yeah I'll take EBCI every-time

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is something I thought Southwest should have been doing for sometime. They could charge a premium for people to pick a seat ahead of time and allow those people to board first to sit in their seat, followed by the people needing assistance, then the A group, B, etc.

Now, granted, some slow poke or someone who is slow to make a connection could easily throw a wrench into things when someone else has taken that assigned seat before the owner of that seat boarded, but they ain't paying me to come up with a foolproof plan on how to make it work either :)

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They want that fast boarding time and that sounds like it would slow them down. I read an article where an efficiency expert said their process was the fastest and he couldn't think of anything with assigned seats that matched it.

14. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

And, ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner in seat 73B.

You can be sure lots of people and hundreds of studies at SW have looked at other options, spending considerable more time with the pro's and con's.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about this:

[​IMG]

16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That apparently was not on the SW site. They do not have first class seats.

17. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's coming once the merge with AirTran is complete because charging extra for premium seats is extra revenue.

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't see them giving up their business class with Airtran but again, part of their business model depends on that fast boarding because it allows them to squeeze in more flights. The extra revenue has to be enough to potentially lose some flights.

19. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's called the exit row;)

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was from the xkcd.com site.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.