1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

PGA Tour Withdraw Issue

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by klawrey, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems to be an epidemic as of late but it is a hard subject to crack down on because ultimately only the player can decide if they are healthy enough to continue on in an event. Unfortunately the WD often occurs when the player is injured and the score starts ballooning. I know the PGA Tour requires players to give a reason for WD but it is easy to say it's my back or my wrist and be on your way. I am curious as to others opinion on this and if you have any ideas for steps the PGA Tour could look at to crackdown on withdraws for no reason other than bad play or should players be allowed to WD for whatever reason they choose, injury or poor play.

I personally think first you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the player as they are the only one that knows their level of pain and their tolerance to that pain. But I can see the reason of irk of fans who want to see a player on friday but they WD with an alleged injury on Thursday after shooting 80 and being out of the tournament. But as someone who has paid to play in many amateur events, I feel that ultimately it is the players decision to withdraw regardless of their reason as they are the one that pays the "entry fee" to compete in each event. Who am I to tell someone how to spend their money?

I especially look forward to your opinion on this Ken.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

As a fan, it is irksome, but nothing lingering. And I haven't given it much thought. Swirling it around the noggin, I come up with a mixed reaction. Lacking any way to really know, with total certitude, if a guy is hurt or he's tanking, it is hard to get too punitive. On the flip side, these prima donnas at some point need to be reminded that the private jets and MB courtesy cars come at a price that a lot of other folks are paying.

To me, it is most most most irritating when it comes during a pro-am, because that is where the rubber meets the road. Take care of those who take care of you. Ultimately, if Rory cards three snowmen and it all of a sudden impacts a tooth, and it's in the tourney proper, I'm less pissed.

But penance is penance. If a guy squirrels during a pro-am, he's plays Quad Cities or the Humana or whatever tourney he has ignored for 10 years, and refunds the entry fee of the am partners. If he "succumbs" in competition, make him sit out a week, and then play Tampa or at Cordevalle or wherever. It will be pretty easy to figure out what is sham and what is pain, and if a new mechanism needs to be enacted after a year or two, so be it. But like the total bullshit of "dealing" with slow play, take the big step and then reign it in after the message has been received.

Just shooting from the hip here. It's certainly not the biggest problem I see/have with the pro game, but it is irritating.

Actually, I know of more than a few pros who if they had a sudden onset of faux ebola on the second tee during a pro-am, it would actually improve the am experience after departure. Which leads to the secondary moral of the story: If you are a well-heeled golf fanatic wanting to try a pro-am, screw Zach Johnson and Justin Leonard, and find your nearest LPGA event.

3. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know. Big fan of the ladies haha. Wouldn't mind Stacy Lewis as she looks much like an old girlfriend of mine and can play a bit. Or Morgan Pressel who I've actually had some twitter exchanges with and was very pleasant and I see some great charity work she does. Unfortunately closest LPGA event is Marathon in Toledo. But that's closer than any PGA event since the Tour and Buick Open left my home course of Warwick Hills. I'm not bitter at all haha.

4. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just shooting from the hip here, but how about instituting a rule that if a player withdraws from a pro-am or a regular tour event he would be required to play one Web.com tour event before he can play a regular PGA event. This might result in fewer withdrawals and in the case of legitimate withdrawals it would benefit the Web.com tour and it's fans. Also, don't cut the field of the Web.com tour event, just add the PGA player to the field. Finally, the PGA player would not be eligible for any prize money from the Web.com tour he plays; keep that money intact for the up and coming tour players.

Like I said I'm just shooting from the hip but some derivative of this might be workable.

:peace: :beer:

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  5. 1BETSY1

1BETSY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I say let them WD. It obvious for most of the big namers that are all ready loaded, once they post a big number they know their out of it and do not want to be there. Good riddins! It's going to come down to what the sponsors put in the contracts about finishing events, before you see a change.

6. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a no issue for me

I dont idolize any of these guys so if they drop out I dont care. My golf idols are a few of the guys I play with from time to time that are in their 80's and can still break 90. Shows how important a good short game is.

7. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Withdrawing because you're having a bad round is poor from, fans paid their money and they deserve better, golf is hard, everyone has a real bad round sometimes, even pro's, they need to grow up.

8. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Under your hypothetical could the players just pay some type of "fine" to charity or have his condition approved by a Tour staffed physician and avoid the Web.com? I think you have something good in theory but guys like Tiger, Phil, Dustin Johnson, Rory will not go play down on the Web.com and other guys fighting for their Tour card will fear losing that weeks income if they do not make any money on the Web.com Tour event as punishment. I like the idea of the punishment but would think they would have to have other ways around the Web.com tournament. I thought of possibly making them pay a "fine" in terms of a charitable donation to a sponsor of the even they withdrew and possibly tiering that fine about with a escalating formula based on your career earnings on Tour and your season level of withdraws. So hypothetically, Tiger may pay $10,000 in donations for a first withdraw, $15,000 on a second, etc. While a mid of the road guy may pay $2,000 for first, $4,000 for second, etc. This would only be for pro-am and mid round withdraws not players that are courteous enough to withdraw before the week starts.

But again it is hard to not give them the benefit of the doubt since it is their injury that they feel and their entry fee that they are posting to play. I personally don't care what they choose to do but thought it would be cool to bounce some ideas of penalties that could be imposed.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.