1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

payless rental car

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by feara004, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feara004

feara004 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually drive to vegas but am flying out with points my next trip so looking into a rental car.

For a wed-sat rental from hot wire I can get a standard size car from payless for 56 bucks all IN. This is dirt cheap compared to the next cheapest which would be $105 from dollar rent a car for the smallest car class.

I've read horrible reviews about payless and their long lines and shady tactics.

So is the half price savings worth the worry of a possible crappy start to my vacation?

All opinions welcome :)

2. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No...I fell for them last trip. Almost two hours to get the car, then the tire low pressure light came on just as we headed up Paradise. Another half an hour before they got another one. Nickle and dime fees too...well worth the $50 bucks to upgrade companies.

3. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I not only use them but became a member. Here is the trick. You MUST get there by 11am (if you can) otherwise the line is out the door. Also make sure you return the car when the contract says too or they charge for a day at a higher rate. If I know I'm coming in after 11am I go with budget which I'm a fast pass customer or whatever they call it. But again, never a problem with payless before 11am!

4. feara004

feara004 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not coming in until 3. Looks like we'll just cab it don't need a car that bad anyways

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from Payless before with no big problems. yes the line sometimes gets long but if you are the frugal type then it may be worth the wait. I have rented in the afternoon with no problem and no long line but other times there were long lines to get processed so YMMV.

Some negatives to Payless - they have a limited supply of cars so you if you don't like the car they gave you it is unlikely they will have another one for you. Also, because of the limited cars you could possibly have to wait for your rental to be returned by the prior renter. When you go through the desk clerk it may take longer if/when they try to get you to purchase the extras. They may even try to convince you that the extra charge is a requirement, because there isn't a manager always on duty the clerk will give you a song and a dance on why you have to pay for the extras. Hopefully he will remove the charge when asked but you can also go through your cc company to remove the extra charge.

My recommendation would be to make the reservation. Go to the rental facility and decide if you want to rent a car. They have taxi's there so you can always skip the rental and just cab it if you decide not to rent a car. Wednesdays may not be a busy day so it may or may not be as busy and long line to get your rental.

Also you should check the rental sites (kayak, Costco travel, thrifty, etc.) regularly since prices go up and down all the time. You may find a better price at a national chain. I also find thrifty/dollar has "las vegas" rates which are lower than the third party site quotes for Thrifty/dollar. I also find Costco to have competitive prices. If possible I will go with the national chains over payless and the other "cut rate" agencies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.