1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Payless Car Rental - are they that bad?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Vegasstar33, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegasstar33

Vegasstar33 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi All,
    I'm in countdown mode, 3 days to go until my trip to Vegas!

I have been put off taking taxis as I have been long hauled 80% of the time and I just don't want to bother always saying no tunnel, blah blah. So I got a REAL good price at Payless. 5 day car rental; standard car, total price $86 all in.

Now I have checked reviews and I know Payless are notorious for trying to sell you crap you don't need but are they that bad? If I stick with "No thank you" and check the contract before signing I should be okay?

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

2. paperposter

paperposter VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    here the pay less deal decline all and then no road side assiants service plan, very important. and you will be fine,

bring you copy of what you should be paying so you know there are no extra add ons.

i rent from them all the time, im cheap there the cheapest so yes they will try to
    screew you but as long as you have aaa or some other program decline all you will be fine.

exhale

3. Vegasstar33

Vegasstar33 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No roadside assistance for me or anything else as I am covered by my credit card. Exhale indeed!! LOL Thank you for the advice!!!

4. paperposter

paperposter VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no worries just make sure you price matches up to what you are signing and u will be fine

5. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it was awful for me, granted it was 7-8 years ago. But from what i heard, still very heavy pressure for the add on coverage and you have to take a 2nd shuttle from the RAC. Good luck!

6. duffer1991

duffer1991 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As the others said, there are a few ways to deal with the Payless people:

1. Print out a copy of your receipt and bring it with you.
    2. Decline EVERYTHING extra. If they tell you that insurance is required by Nevada law, that is NOT true. They might require you to demonstrate that you are insured, so it never hurts to bring a declaration page from your insurance. I never needed it, but better safe than sorry.
    3. Be nice and smile. So many in the lines, especially after long flights and long lines, are pissy and aggravated. Will the attendant really respond to that?
    4. Stand firm and double check before you sign. It is not unheard of to decline everything and then they will check the accepted box.
    5. Keep a copy of your contract.
    6. Bring a small flashlight. I always arrive late at night and the car is in a poorly lit parking area. Walk around the car and note every ding, scratch and scuff BEFORE you leave. Take pictures if necessary.
    7. Keep copies of your gas station receipts as some might ask for them to prove that you filled the vehicle just before returning it. I have never been asked, but again... better safe than sorry.
    8. Tip the shuttle driver if he handles your bags. It always helps to get good mojo in place.
    9. If worse comes to worse, ask to see the supervisor and tell them that you will not be bullied.

Good luck. I have never had a problem, and hope you have an easy experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.