1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Paying for meals: Charge to room or use RC?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by dfalk, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never used comps before to pay for meals, so I'm sure the best way to do it. I have about $75 in Total Reward credits to use for my upcoming trip. Is it better to just charge everything to my room and pay for it all at the end? Or is it easier to just pay for each meal by having them swipe my card?

I guess my biggest concern is tipping, if I charge it to my room do I still need to leave a trip at the restaurant or will the tip get charged to my room as well?

If I pay at the time with RC can you use your RC to tip as well or do you have to use cash for that?

2. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can't use TR points for tips, if you charge the meal to your room and add a tip, you will have a cash balance to pay equal to the amount of the tips.

I prefer to pay for meals with RC's at the restaurant as, at least for now, they do not charge tax for comped meals. For example, if your meal is $20 and the tax is $2, if you pay for your meal at the restaurant using RC's, they only take $20 in RC's. If you charge the meal to your room, they will use $22 in RC's. To me, that makes it a no brainer to make my points last longer!

You can also use coupons, like a 2-4-1 or $5 off, then pay the balance with points. Makes those RC's stretch!

I recommend you have them swipe your card at each restaurant and leave a cash tip. Saves the tax dollars and eliminates tip charges on your bill.

Have a great trip!
    diane

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For tipping I just charge the amount of the food to the room/on the card, on the receipt I cross out the tip section and then just leave a cash tip behind.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  4. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to use up my EC when I have them, then charge the rest to my room. I do this in case I either underplay or overplay my offer. When I go see my host at the end of the trip, I don't want him thinking about using my EC to cover the piece of my comp I didn't earn. And I want him to take stuff off my bill if I've overplayed my offer. I just like the ECs out of the question.

5. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I have enough RC/EC I prefer to just pay for it right then. Some CET restaurants give discounts when paying with points and I'm never quite sure if they will get it right on the hotel bill.

If I don't have enough, I will charge to my room as it just seems easier to apply a small amount of comps to a room charge than do 2 transactions at a restaurant. I also expect to earn at least a few more credits between eating and checking out, so it makes sense just to use them at the end to me.

I generally just leave a cash tip as well. I've never had issues charging to my room, I just prefer cash for tips.

6. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whether paying for a meal with comps or charging to the room we always leave cash for the tip.

7. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the help! Looks like ill just pay for the meal with my RC and leave a cash tip.

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can also charge the tip to your room and pay it by credit card when you leave. Mostly I leave cash, but if dinner is running $300, that's a lot of tip sometimes.

9. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the exception I make as well. While I generally don't care in Vegas if I do everything on a card to get points, I will try and put a $100 tip on my card. Thats $100 bill that can help on a craps table!!!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.