1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Pai Gow Poker at the Downtown Grand

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by mjames1229, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First the disclaimer... I stayed at DTG during their opening week last year and other than a few bumps, I had a wonderful time. I defended them though their early issues, the bad VP tables, the poor Furnace Bar beer selection, late mailer distribution, etc. But tonight I got the willies playing Pai Gow Poker.

After a few hands, a difficult hand was dealt and not being 100% on how to play, I asked the dealer for advice on the House Way. She tapped the touch screen (which I had thought was only the random number generator) then tapped my seat number and the display showed the House Way. My very first thought was how interesting that was. The dealer said that each card was scanned as it was shuffled, and he went on to brag that the computer knows which seat will win or lose (pending the hand being set correctly).

As I was wrapping my head around that, the dealer got a monster with two Aces, two eights, the joker and a lot of diamonds. She (the first dealer had tapped out) originally played a flush with A8 on top, but checked the touch screen that told her to play the three Aces on the bottom and the 88 on top.

I know that the dealer (like players) get monster hands on occasion. But I find it very concerning that the same display that knows what is in each hand ALSO determines which spot (including the banker) gets which hand.

Do I think that there is something crooked going on? Not necessarily as I am not a conspiracy theorist. But I DO have a problem with the APPEARANCE of impropriety. Even if a little doubt creeps in when the dealer gets the joker four hands in a row, or when some improbable streak of big hands including two pair of face cards happens... that is very bad. If one can't trust the game to be fair, one shouldn't play it. So I walked away.

Again, I don't believe that the "random" number generating is placing the best hand in the dealer spot. But the fact that it could happen now is causing me to doubt all the wonderfulness that I've been touting.

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
  2. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All Shufflemaster machines have that ability.
    It's actually TO keep it legit...
    So if a dealer (or player) tried to cheat after the deal, the machine would verify if it was legit.
    It's this way on Pai Gow, 3 Card Poker, Ultimate Texas Hold 'Em, etc.
    Believe me, you WANT that shuffler to know who's got what.

NOW, what I've found funny in the past...is these SAME people continually get MONSTER hands (5 Aces, in particular) and the machine CANNOT verify the winning hand (So the table gets closed for a while, until a SHFL representative can come out to MANUALLY verify or some such nonsense)...THAT makes me leery of the people winning...("Shill's" if you will)

Palace Tower Suite!
  3. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had no idea, that is amazing!

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  4. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't discount what you're saying, but I don't want to shuffler to know who's got what... the house does. This is for their benefit in your scenario. Far more concerning from the player's side is the appearance of impropriety. That's a trade off that I don't want to make.

If the shuffler knows what is in each hand, I can live with that. But then have a different device (or, gasp, three dice) as the random seat generator. If someone has 5 Aces or a 7-card straight flush, I can accept the delay while the shuffle monitor displays that someone had that hand, and while the tape is reviewed for the dealer action.

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
  5. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was under the impression that it scans all the cards as they come out.

So first it randomly selects the position that gets the first hand, then it scans all the cards as they are coming out of the machine. It doesn't know which cards are where when the first spot get selected.

That was always my impression anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.