1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ordering something not on the menu

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by RPMCanes, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPMCanes

RPMCanes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Say I'm in a steakhouse and they have a 24-ounce porterhouse, and I ask if they can make it a 32 ounce. Think they'll be able to do it? I suppose it depends upon if you're in a high end place and a premium player.

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Something like a larger steak than what's on the menu? Probably not likely. I can't see them just having a larger cut on hand.

3. Bamfbowhunter

Bamfbowhunter Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If its a good steak house then they probably cut their own steaks.. So yes you can probably order however large you want

4. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on how & when they do their butchering [in-house? On-site? do they cut their steaks in advance or each to order?] - though at a lot of the high-end places, I know with the "Kobe" & Wagyu they usually quote a minimum size and then an additional price per oz., so presumably they're cutting on-site to order & you could get it as big as you want - although with those, getting up to something like a 32oz would likely be cost-prohibitive.

Another option would be that [from my experience] most of the high-end places on the strip usually have an extra-large porterhouse or other cut that says "for 2", which you can always very easily ask to have served for one.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why stop at 32 oz? Go after The Great Outdoors and order the O 96er. :vomit:

6. magic_man12

magic_man12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on the steakhouse it may be possible, although unlikely from what I know of my experience. Many steakhouses have their steaks come in cases with individually vacuum sealed portions, especially the larger porterhouses, because they aren't ordered nearly as often as all the other steaks.

+ someone would have to cut from a side with.... likely a bandsaw (cut through the bone).... Probably not available at most places.

Never hurts to ask! Just don't hold your breath ;)

*edit* -> Lots of steakhouses will offer a 'double porter' as well.. meant for two... usually around 48oz... You could tackle that on your own as an option!

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i ask for stuff off the menu all the time. the answer depends on if they can do it. top quality places with a real chef love to make things happen for people, so they will do what they can to accommodate you.

as far as a larger cut of steak, that depends on if they cut their steaks in-house, but like a previous poster mentioned, it does take a bandsaw to do that for cuts with a bone (like a porterhouse), so it's unlikely they do that. if you're talking about a strip or filet, they will get those cuts whole and cut them in the back. i've actually been in a restaurant kitchen and seen them do this, so i know that part for sure. but bone-in is a whole different ballgame.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.