1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

OnStar ??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by kitson, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

so, i got a new pickup last week, and it has a 6 month free trial for the onstar system. i have bought used cars before that were equipped, but not subscribed, so this is my first chance to use this feature.

living in montana, we have a lot of areas where we get no cell service, including the ranch where i grew up, and still have cattle there and maintain the buildings in the summer. so since i now had onstar, on my first trip up there last week i had a lifeline to the outside, it has always bothered me that i could get hurt, working alone, at 8 am, and no one would even start to look for me until 8 pm, and by then it would be dark, and that my cell phone did not work from all but the highest points on the ranch..also the most remote points.

so, multiple times while on the mile and a half road from the county road into the ranch, i dialed onstar with the blue button. it tried to connect, and then would tell me it could not connect and the call was ended.

this week, on a high point out on the county road where my cell phone showed one bar, i pushed the blue button and was connected. queried the operator about why i could not get out from the ranch, thought onstar was on satellite... she told me there was a cell phone component to using the system with the blue buttone, but that the red sos button would go to satellite.

what then, i said, could talk to me? no, only if you have cell service! but we would know you were asking for help and could alert authorities to go looking for you.

so, i guess i have to take her word for it that the red sos button would be of use to me in case of an accident, so that is something, but using it to contact my wife, saying i had to go to great falls for parts and would she want to meet for dinner, not going to happen until i get back out on the county road a half hour and about 6 miles later.

so, for anyone familiar with the system...is the red sos button pretty certain to get people to come looking if i press it? it will get out, via satellite, and when they cannot contact me because of the lack of cell coverage, who would they call to come looking?

and, since i have only that one limited use of the system, i probably will not subscribe when the trial expires.

so, next summer, if i got hurt, and got back to the pickup, and pressed the red sos button...would onstar take action to get me found, or since i had not paid for the service, would they just ignore it?

2. Gregsmt

Gregsmt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would hope it would be ignored or deactivated. Otherwise you are getting something for nothing. If the peace of mind you want isn't worth a few bucks a month because you live in a remote area of the country, then that's the way it is. It's about $17 a month and only you can decide if that's worth it for you.

3. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The SOS will work. I do a lot of fishing in the Beartooths during the summer and wondered this also. I got a Spot emergency GPS for Christmas, pretty cool little device. You have to get a yearly plan but, it fits in your pocket in case you can't make it back to the rig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.