1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

One of the reasons we keep going back...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by bswim, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friends wonder why we keep going back to Vegas, did some price comparing last night and was reminded why.

Have reservations at MGM for April 1-5, first 2 nights comped. Grand total with resort fees and taxes, about $400. This is a spring break trip for our teenage daughter, 3 RT air on Alaska is $800. So I'm into it $1200 for 4 nights with airfare.

Last night I look to see what it would cost to go to Portland for the same days, we like the city but the weather is a REAL gamble that time of year here in the NW.

4 nights at the Residence Inn. $800 for a standard room, $1000 for the one with the separate bedroom (hey our kids coming along :wink2:).

It's really hard to beat the hotel prices in Vegas, not to mention the weather most the year. Hell the Best Western down the street from me is normally $135 for a basic room and they're busy as hell.

2. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tell people the same thing! I go to vegas since thats what i can afford. Round Trip air for me in usually $150 or less. My rooms are free and the food is free or insanely cheap for an OK buffet. With gambling losses, if i lose that trip, an entire vacation for 5 days and 4 nights would usually cost me $1500 in vegas. The same length trip to Disneyworld is an easy $3K and the mouse never comps me back.

I go to vegas I might get all my normal freebies AND win some money. I go to LA for a week and its a loss no matter what. Might still have fun but zero chance of hitting it big.

3. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't believe how expensive that damn mouse is.

Our 2nd trip to Vegas was in a 2 room suite at Mandalay Bay on a my Vegas rewards. We knew we had to bring our daughter back for the pool there. We created a monster. LOL.

She loves the sun and the pools and the people watching, people watching especially. Only problem we've had was some drunk tailing her in Harrah's, I noticed it, was obvious this guy wasn't letting up, and quickly started walking towards him, his friend that was more sober grabbed him real quick and drug him off LOL

Couple years ago I could get airfare for the 3 of us for $445. Economy is better now and most the flights are full so the air keeps creeping up

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for this positive post!!! I so tire of the constant whining in some of the other threads...

5. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be honest, I was looking to go somewhere else other than Vegas (BLASPHEMY!!) but it doesn't make much sense. If the weather were more reliable around here I'd be hooking up the boat full of camping gear, but my odds are better playing one spin of the roulette wheel LOL

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kids running on the lawn again, smart? lol

I think people simply forget how much "free" all this money people are losing buys everyone.

7. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hasn't really cost me that much.
    I can see how some may be able to look at the overall business plan of Vegas and have moral problems with it, but I doubt those people ever go to Vegas. ;)

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, no, everyone benefits. People who never gamble can get some pretty amazing rack rates when you consider the quality of the accommodations.

9. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may have been quick to misunderstand you. I play slots and every now and then some BJ or Roulette. I for one am thankful for those that lose so much. LOL. Our trip last April at MGM I lost about $400, of which they comped me $200 of room charges and keep sending me offers of 2 free nights. So I figure I'm about even.

10. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

These are exactly my thoughts. Awesome vacation destination, with gambling AND the chance to come home with money for the next vacation? Check, check and check. Awesome deal if you ask me.

11. stelliebean

stelliebean Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know- we're spoiled. Anytime I travel anywhere else, I amazed at how much hotel rooms are.

12. buzz_king

buzz_king Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are planning a June trip with one night in Minneapolis for a baseball game followed by five nights at Plant Hollywood in Vegas. That one night in downtown Minneapolis will cost a whole lot more than five nights at PH.

13. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep same here - so when I put out my vacation dates on Outlook in the office and I hear the "OMG Vegas...AGAIN?!" or "I think you have a gambling problem" I usually will break it down for people.

Lets put it this way - last summer I paid for my mother and sister to go to Cape May, NJ for several days...I spent $1800 on the hotel and incidentals for them. And if anyone knows Cape May, or the Jersey Shore at all, you know the hotels there are mainly Mom and Pop joints. Motel 6 type stuff or the old school motor lodge feel and they'll cost you $1200 easy.

14. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our main expense is airfare. We get deals from time to time, but the cost is always a big part of our costs. We can minimise this by staying longer in Las Vegas.

We have done the visits to SF and LA and have enjoyed the trips, but the room rates in both places are so much more for so much less. We like to visit for several weeks, and make one or two side trips each time. Las Vegas is actually a quite good hub for us.

What I can't possibly put a price on is the difference the climate makes to my arthritis. The dry climate is an absolute wonder.
    if I could afford private medical insurance as a non American resident, I would have moved to Las Vegas years ago. I can reduce my medication by a factor of 10 whilst on vacation.

15. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Birmingham, England. But born and raised in Bonny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look at staying in any major city in a 5 diamond/star property and you are looking at $400-1000 per night, compared with $179 ish (weekdays) in Las Vegas. I notice this even more coming from Europe and staying in London/Paris/Barcelona etc.where prices are very high for the top end properties, which have a lot less amenities than comparable LV hotels.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's one of the reasons why we do private rentals so often when we travel.

17. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just found this gem last year! I stayed in Oceanside CA a two Bedroom with kitchen for 1300 for a week, Two rooms at holiday inn right across the street with less amenities would have been $100 more!

Back on topic, I go back because I can limit my lodging costs, but honestly I go back because there is no place at all like Vegas in the world. I never once had a bad time in Vegas. I enjoy other places of course.

18. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for this...sometimes this forum is full off Debbie downers!

19. VegasGarden

VegasGarden Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    However if play goes crappy I could add $5k in expenses real quick

20. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    where on earth are you staying at in Mpls?

of course the majority of opinions expressed here are on the "right" side of expense- lots of gambling, not much lost, decent room rate or comps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.