1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

One-day car rental vs cab

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by notbutter, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notbutter

notbutter Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please forgive the noob questions here. I'm thinking of renting a car for one day at the start of my trip, just so I can buy some drinks and snacks at a grocery store instead of CVS/Walgreens/ABC store on the strip (better prices and selection off strip), then returning it to the airport the next day. I have a one-day rate of $26 from EZ Rental and am staying at the Aria for a couple of days. Then off the Trop for a few days. Planning to take the WAX bus or taxi from the Trop to McCarran.

If I do go with the rental, I figure on my return I can take the WAX bus to NYNY and walk to the Aria. (Or more likely, walk to Monte Carlo and take the tram to Crystals--it probably will be beastly hot in August.) I calculate my total cost will be $26 rental + $5 gas + $2 WAX bus = $33.

Or I can take a cab to the Aria for probably around $20 and just do my food and beverage shopping on the strip. I'd appreciate any input about the merits of one-day rental vs cab.

I did look into doing a one-way rental to drop off at the Aria, but the cost was prohibitive. I also looked into dropping off at the Trop, but that was even more expensive because I'd have the car for two days.

TIA

2. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could hop on a bell trans shuttle from airport to Aria for $8.50+tip

3. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a lot of work while on vacation for a few dollars. JMHO.

4. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another thing to think about. Whatever savings you're going to save by buying off strip is going to be eaten up by your car rental/cab costs. Not to mention the time getting the car and returning it, and the time going to the store and back.
    There's a CVS right between Aria and Monte Carlo and a Walgreens right across the street.

5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to do almost exactly that - rent a car at the airport when I arrived, drive to the hotel and check in, then off to a supermarket to load up on booze and snacks, etc, at which point I was done with the car. Park it and return the keys at the hotel (not the airport) the next morning.

This was in the days when Dollar had the concession at the MGM properties. Now it's Avis, and their rates are horrible.

Personally, there's no way I'd rent a car for that purpose and then return it to the airport, way too much hassle and time wasted.

If you will be buying at least $50 worth of stuff (which is easy to do if you're including booze), or more than you can carry, I'd suggest Vons grocery delivery. The max fee is $17.95 and they'll deliver the stuff to Aria in a one-hour window of your choosing. I've used it several times without a hitch.

The CVS between Aria and Monte Carlo is also a good alternative if you don't need a lot, or don't need stuff you can only get at a grocery store.

6. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How many snacks are you planning to buy? Let's just say you're buying $100 worth of snack from the grocery store. You're spending an extra $33 to get it, plus the time it takes to do all of the shopping and back and forth from the store. If you estimate you can do the same shopping on the strip for $133 or less... you're wasting time and money renting the car.

They'd have to charge 33% more on the strip to make it worth it... and if you're buying $50 worth of snacks and groceries, they'd have to be charging 66% more.

Sounds like a very bad deal for you.

7. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can understand wanting to go elsewhere for better selection. That to me would have some value.

The issue that I have with this plan is the amount of time it will be taking you to get everywhere. The rental car alone could be 30-60 minutes of waiting in line just to get it.

Now if I were to actually rent a car, I'd get more use out of it than just getting some snacks. I'd go visit the M Resort for example or some of the off strip properties that I normally wouldn't get to.

Honestly it really comes down to how much you value your time spent getting everywhere. You have outlined probably the cheapest option if you require the better selection off strip, I just couldn't see that being worth saving $10-$20 for that amount of extra time spent.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I won't say don't rent a car. But if you are going to do it, make sure you get more use out of it than just a snack run. Visit some places that a cab or bus can't get you to easily.

9. notbutter

notbutter Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any considerations. My background is in grocery stores, so where to buy beverages and snacks is important to me. For my LV trip Last year, I needed a car and was able to go to Trader Joe's. (I'm a huge TJ's fan. I shop at one locally and seek them out when I travel.)

For the one day that I'd use the car, I'd spend 2-3 hours picking up the car, returning it, and getting back to the hotel. It might be worth doing if I were to spend more time in the car (hitting Lotus of Siam, Luv-It custard, going to the buffet at the M, etc), but I have a F&B credit at the Aria to spend that will keep me there most of the time.

I'll probably put in an order at Vons or just buy on the strip.

Thanks all!

10. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly what I planned on doing with my family since we're staying at different properties and it's more convenient to do a one-way car rental than two separate cabs. I think it really depends on your situation...

11. Dogs mama

Dogs mama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that Von's near the airport is dumpy and a lot of weirdos hanging out! Renting a car is a hassle in vegas because of the shuttle and sometimes long lines. Sometimes it's not worth it. It's like driving 10 miles with a dollar coupon, my husband would tell me to STOP! Ha! He's ALMOST always right! Plus, aren't you going to feel guilty if you don't tip the shuttle drivers? I always do, but I'm a bleeding heart. Just more expense if you do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.