1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Olympic Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was it a rip off of the Beatles Love show or just Cirque du So Lame?

2. technolight

technolight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trying to think of a smart a@@e answer ,

But I wont stoop that low.

The show was absoloutly brilliant.

3. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hesitant to watch but my wife wanted to and my daughter (26) said "Dad, it's history!!" So we had a family evening and watched and I was highly entertained and surprised..Two:thumbsup:

4. sam_marques

sam_marques High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto!!!:Þ

Mommys Solo Trips
  5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look at this ceremony like i do cirque shows. They have a soryline but I have no idea or desire to know what it is, i just watch for the spectacle of it.

Loved the torch lighting.

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dislike CDS shows. But I thoroughly enjoyed the Opening Ceremony. Just wish I'd watched the BBC feed online instead of the NBC coverage, because they talk too freaking much. But I've known that for years, so shame on me:eek:

7. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you want me to be honest?

Nothing against the UK,people are wonderful,but I got about an hour into it and said enough of this. If it was a big hit with the Brits ,thats all that matters anywayand I loved Faulty Towers and Benny Hill,but that guy playing the keyboard then running on the beach (Chariots) then that bit about the people in that house totally lost me ? so I clicked. Sorry ,call me all the names you want
    but at least I'm being honest.
    Also, both of us feel that NBC is getting carried away with almost 24/7 Olympic coverage and eliminating everything else .

8. Kbaby Girl

Kbaby Girl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jersey - I agree! I really tried to watch it! When Mary Poppins dropped on Voldemort... I just had to turn the channel :rolleyes2: Maybe, I'm not as "history" minded as others.

I have enjoyed several of the athletic competitions.:thumbsup:

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's because they have nothing else!

Christmas
  10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the coverage. It's the talking and the "heartwarming" shit I could live without:evillaugh. Just show me the competitions.....(which is why the live feeds online are great)

11. Scottishnellie

Scottishnellie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a brit I enjoyed it - but I did watch wondering what on earth viewers around the world would make of it.

If you already knew British history (or a decent chunk of it) then there were lots of 'ooh' moments when you recognised what something signified. But it did feel 'make for Britain' rather than 'made for the world stage' I felt.

That said I thought the torch lighting was fabulous no matter where you watched from, and loved that it was lit by athletes of the future nominated one by one by our past British Olympians - genius.

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Amen sister.

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    because the only terrorist attacks that matter and are airworthy are those on american soil???

(tongue very firmly in cheek).

I think that NBC wanted to get the Phelps interview in and as they were on tape delay they picked what may have appeared to be a "down" moment in the ceremony.

I'd have been happier if on one of the channels they have dedicated to the olympics they run uninterrupted coverage of the ceremony.

However NBC do this every olympics - they tape delay most things and then show a very USA view of the games. There are stories and events that tell their own tale without the need for NBC spin. Let the games stand on their own.

15. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the guy playing the keyboard is Mr. Bean. Haven't you ever heard of him? I thought he was well known around the world.

I was in London that day for the opening ceremonies. I watched some of it in the Holland Heineken House and must say (except for Mr. Bean) I found most of it boring. It may also had something to do with the large amount of alcohol I consumed...

Back home I heard that it was a good thing the commentators knew what what was so they could explain to the viewers. Didn't you guys have commentary like that?

16. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I loved it. I'm a Brit and proud of it. I think Danny Boyle did an excellent job.

First trip of 2017.
  17. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ha!

I'm not sure who is madder.. Danny Boyle or the person whi said "why don't we give the job the Danny Boyle".

at least he can't be accused of stealing the theme from any other olympics.. that was totally boyle.

Funny when they got some trainspotting in there... I reckon the baby at the end was inspired by that....

18. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I watched it online first thing the next morning. And then sent NBC my "what you did was so wrong" email.

I'm trying to watch online coverage on BBC or CTV (Canada) but need to deal with proxy servers that I can't at work......And sometimes I need to watch on the big screen (which means an NBC/Universal channel at home):eek:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.