1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Odd Vegas Poker Tourney People

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by north east j, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I know that all kinds come to Vegas, but when I played in a $40 afternoon tournament at the Linq in September I had an odd duo of folks who came my way:

1 - Guy comes in 2 minutes before cutoff for new registrations (we had been playing 1/2 hour or so), hugs all the females in the tournament, must be a local and well known. Anyways, first hand, he pushed all in blind, busts, and rebuys. Does the same thing again, talks to the staff for a few minutes, then leaves.

2 - Later on, I am at final table. I have 2 pair and bluff the straight flush on the table by 3 betting all in against a guy. He starts swearing, talking, asking me questions. I just stare ahead. Then he starts yelling at me, stands up, and starts posturing like he is going to come over and kick my ass. Part of me wanted to blow him a kiss to watch him competely go on tilt, but I was smart and didn't. At this point he is literally yelling "What the F&*K do you have?". Takes hom almost 5 minutes to decide. He ends up with the straight and I bust. I turned to the guy next to me and told him I was glad he won, because I was more than a little scared what the guy would do if he lost.

Anyone else with good/odd/scary poker tourney tales?

2. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds exactly like the same guy I played against a few years ago at the Rio expect all the yelling came after the hand. I had 2-3s and was huge stacked at final table. A medium stack limped in and I was on button so I called, flopped straight and went all in, same deal except I won... made me feel good. I got berated for 5 minutes for making a stupid call pre-flop. People like that are the worst.

I am surprised the floor did not step in or say anything in your case.

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  3. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excerpted from my 2012 Trip Report -

Monday 10-1 @ 10:02 AM – Just as the first hand was being dealt in Planet Hollywood’s tournament (38 entries at $75… now we’re getting somewhere) the Cocaine Cowboy sat down the table. He is young, brash, annoying (way too much so at 10 AM) and clearly strung out. He announces “Just so you know, I am raising everything”, and does so in the first hand without even looking at his cards. On the second hand, he also raises pre-flop, and the guy to my left goes all-in over the top of him. The Cocaine Cowboy finally looks at his cards, calls, and gets lucky on the board to knock the guy out of the tournament.

Monday 10-1 @ 10:06 AM – Now the third hand, and it is getting exciting. Same set-up, the Cocaine Cowboy doesn’t look at his cards (and his drug enfueled self-worth massively inflated by having twice the amount of chips as anybody else) makes a huge pre-flop raise, and this time Ben (one of the guys in our group) goes all-in over the top. He again calls, and Ben is leading until the Jimmy card. Three hands into the tournament, this idiot has knocked out two guys and has triple the chips of anyone at the table (Side note; In our home poker games, Jimmy is a guy who has made a living of winning pots on the river card – the last card dealt. The very first time we went to Vegas for poker in 2009, one of our guys won a big pot after the river card and I yelled “Jimmy!” Believe it or not, a couple people at the table knew exactly what we were talking about.) The Cocaine Cowboy (who is always chattering anyway) mentions that he is going to win the tournament because he is great, we all stink, and “By the way, no offense to any of you”.

Monday 10-1 @ 10:45 AM
    – The wiser players at the table (including me, once) made sure we played good hands against him, and ate away at his massive chip stack. Fifteen minutes before the period to re-buy into the tournament (generally you can re-enter after the first hour, then entries close) the Cocaine Cowboy wants to call somebody’s big bet, but it would put him all in. He calls anyway and is already grabbing for money to pay for his re-entry. He does lose the hand, but when he goes to the desk, he is told that there are others ahead of him on the waiting list. Sweet! The last fifteen minutes go by, and the Cowboy rides off into the sunset… probably looking for a toilet stall to hit some more blow, then another poker game to take down.

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
  4. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I am also very surprised at that.... although he did look a bit unstable, so I don't think the lady in charge was real keen on doing so....

5. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just tell people to shut the hell up or were both going to jail. I've never had one person take me up on it, they just shut up and stare at their shoes. Most people don't want to fight, the few who will don't want to go to jail.

6. Tellafriend

Tellafriend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't see bluffing a straight flush EVER working in a $40 tournament. Ever.

7. steffycs

steffycs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tellafriend I was thinking the same.. I would snap call.. Do you have straight flush? Good for you but how many time is a bluff and I win? I'm happy to pay a straight flush.. That's poker!

8. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure. Most times. But it was only 2nd hand after tables merged to make final table, this guy was from other table, and this was only 2nd hand, with hand before being a double knockout full house hand. Still doesn't excuse the guy being an absolute dick, though...

9. Tellafriend

Tellafriend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no doubt he was a dick, and karma will kick him in the ass. you just won't get the pleasure of watching :beer:

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:

Personally, I think this is the opposite of sweet. I like winning money more than a socially acceptable form of poker. Easier to win more versus people that piss a lot of their equity away doing things like shoving all-in blind. I welcome the cocaine cowboy and all other bad players to my table.

11. TheMotherOfAllDBs

TheMotherOfAllDBs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If he did this in concert with another player, it's called "chip dumping," and it's a form of cheating. (It's a way for one of the players at your table to start with 3 buy-ins).

12. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It wasn't poker, though. I traveled to Vegas for poker and I'm stuck with this moron insulting me and acting like its a slot machine. If it were a player like your typical copycat of TV poker with a hoodie, shades and ear buds (again, mind, for a 10:00 AM tourist game) who's decided to be very aggressive, that's different because he isn't insulting anyone and he's actually playing the game.

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
  13. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Full Tilt

Sounds like a local that knew he had you by the gonads and was hammering home how bad a play it was in front of the home crowd or he was near FT on the R thinking you chased a St8 fl and hit
    Either way, good bluff if there are 4 cards out there to the SF and only way to win if you chased or got out 'jimmyed'.

Prior to the AI shove & making it worth it...:popcorn and just for snicks
    I would of liked to see him go on Full Tilt, and have blew him a....:kiss:
    :poke:

Once had an Ahole kept wanting to see my cards (2-3x) when he beat me
    Last time he asked I just zinged them at his head, missed him, but then politlely apologized :evillaugh

14. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reminds me of the time I made the mistake of playing in a $40 at Sahara. Talk about a locals-only game. These guys re-bought & re-bought and re-bought again non-stop. Seemed like a nightly thing for these degens. Made it not too fun for a drop-in tourist who wasn't planning on spending a small fortune to play what was essentially a 4-table home game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.