1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Odd brick & mortar concept to sell mattresses... no employees in the store

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For weeks now I have been hearing radio commercials for what I thought was "Atlas Mattress", turns out it is Hassless Mattress and it certainly is a different marketing concept. No employees in the store.

"The guys who renamed their furniture chain Penny Mustard a few years ago are tinkering with an even quirkier idea — mattress stores with no salespeople, or anyone else, around".

http://www.jsonline.com/business/chain-tests-new-concept-in-mattress-shopping-stores-with-no-employees-b99306125z1-266287831.html

Christmas
  2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sold mattresses for years and always wondered about a concept like this.

My idea was just to have a ticket they could take up to the counter and pay there. No salespeople or anything.

My thinking was that despite all our efforts to help the customers, we might actually be hindering the sale. of course that idea never amounted to anything until i see this guy is trying it.

The bottom line for him of course is that they dont discount anything and customers convince themselves to pay full price. Good strategy. I would be interested in seeing how this goes.

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I mentioned in another thread, I have a Sleep Number bed that we bought two years ago and we hate it. So I am shopping for a mattress set. I have gone into the same furniture store twice now and gotta say outside of a used car lot the salepeople couldn't be more annoying. They honestly don't leave you alone. Maybe a salesperson less store is a good idea.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not just no salespeople, no employees at all. Just a telephone to call if you have questions.

Christmas
  5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

This is an extreme case with no employees at all but retail has been trending away from salespeople for a long time. I remember as kids all the big electronic stores had salespeople who could negotiate, same with furniture. I didn't know until recently that car dealers were protected in most states, they have a very influential lobbying group (NADA) which prevent car makers from selling to customers directly the way Tesla does. But Tesla is banned from some states like Texas because of those laws. It is pretty ridiculous that these states have legislation forcing a middle man into the process.

6. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guys I knew in sales told me the same thing. More important than the product, you're selling youself. If people like you,they will most likely buy from you and more important become repeat customers.
    One guy I knew told me he wasn't even looking for new clients ,his repeat business was plenty.
    Maybe I'm old school,but I'd still rather deal with a human being as long they know their stuff and dont pressure me.

7. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to see this concept at the car lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.