1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

October 20-23rd Jimmy Buffett, Zip lining, and hearding Cats.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by MNVegasgal, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNVegasgal

MNVegasgal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

5 couples, us old Vegas regulars, 2 couples "Vegas Virgins", and two couples with a trip or two under there belts. Age group between 40- 54. Let me just say that we are the only "Gamblers" in the group. The others might stick a $20 in a slot or bet on a race.. but not really players.. (i am a slot player.. hubby loves craps, sports betting, and live Keno if he can find it).

I sent out a Call to 3 of the couples when I heard Jimmy Buffett was going to be in town.... Not parrot heads.. but fans. All three couples committed so I bought 8 tickets through American Express pre-sale. (The other couple decided to go later, so they found tickets on their own).Ended up being great seats.. we were 2nd level of the MGM.. Section 106 row CC.. it was right on the Rail.. so We could lean and cheer and sing, and not all over or obstruct anyones vision. More on that later.

Flew out on Saturday the 20th 7:00 AM flight on Delta.. used a $99 companion ticket for me, with a $350 ticket for DH, both tickets under $500 score. Only downfall to using a companion ticket is this ticket is not eligible for upgrade. DH was offered upgrade to first class on the way out, he declined... On the way back I insisted he take it.. as long as I wasn't in a middle seat I was fine. (Couple 2 flew wiht us, couples 3,4 and 5 flew out Friday night) We stayed at Aria on an offer, 3 free nights, 250 Free play and $100 resort credit. Our host was able to book one of the other couples at $209 Sat, $144 Sun and $144 Monday. They were happy, as it was roughly $200 less on the best rate they could find. The other 3 couples stayed at Tropicana on a Flight/airfare combo..again.. not gambles, so they weren't looking for any option of receiving comps.

Arrived at Aria at 9:30.. noone working at invited guests, so we checked our bags, and went and gave the newbies a tour. Guys went to get sports bet in, and then we ate breakfast/lunch at the Sportbook restaurant and enjoyed our first drink. Aftewards showed the newbies how to sit at the bar, play JOB or Black jack and order drinks... they didn't understand why the bartender put a bill in a glass in front of them if didn't have to pay.. Oh little grasshoppers.. we will show you how it is done . Checked in at Noon.. the Aria employee was so helpful when we asked if our friends could check in at the same time and at invited guests.. we were all put on floor 15 with City Views.. and they LOVED the room, the hotel and the service. We love Aria.. so were were already drinking the koolaid.

Chilled by the pool and had a few drinks before getting cleaned up and meeting the others at Flamingo for the Buffett pre-party. Well our friends were at the inside bar.. and had been pre-partying at the pool at Tropicana.. so getting food in two of them was a priority instead of getting more booze in them at the party. We ate pizza right at the food court.. a slice (1/4 of a pizza) and a beer for 7 bucks.. heck of a deal. Headed by monorail to MGM and admired all the hard core buffett fans. Watched a pirate fall backwards on the escalator on the way into MGM.. I couldn't help but yell "PIRATE DOWN.. PIRATE DOWN".. but he quickly recovered and was not hurt. Headed out the Brooklyn Bridge for a drink, some people watching and a little dancing. Show was great.. packed and 2.5 hours of music. No opening act, and that was fine with me. The MGM Arena doesn't have the great accoustics but the show itself was fun and upbeat, and brought back Memories! Check that off the bucket list. After the show.. headed back to our hotel to gamble a bit. Hubby went off to play craps, and I converted my $250 free play, into $285 cash playing quick hits... NICE Score. I also played a Konami Gypsy game .. when you get three Gypsy Wagons in the center three colums you get 12 free spins.. I was playing 200 per spin and hit $480.. Whoop Whoop.. Day one and I'm up. Hit the hay around 12:15. Side note.. I was sad to see the Pirate Battle community slot is gone from the area outside the elevators, now they have a storm the castle type community game.. which is harder to get into the bonus.. and it is individual.. not a fun big community bonus.

Sunday.. DH up early to head over to excalibur to score a place to watch football. The boys and one of the gals met him over there.. I stopped in on my way to Tropicana (BTW.. 1.47 miles one way from Aria to Tropicana). Headed to hang out with the ladies at tropican pool. Enjoyed some Adult lemonades (in an adult sippy cup) and the bartended talked me into mixing up my normal vodka lemonade with Raspberri Stoli and pink lemonade.. YUMMO. We also triped grape vodka and pink lemonade.. and that tasted like a mister misty freeze from DQ. Went back to the hotel and cleaned up. Played for a bit on a few things.. didn't hit anything noteworty.. tried most of the konami that Aria has. Headed out in cabs to Main Street Station to eat at the Brewpub and show the gang downtown. We all enjoyed our meals. good value.. great waitress with lots of spunk, and the options were good. 3.95 for a 16 oz beer, or 4.25 for a 23 oz.. that is a good deal!. Went to freemont and we walked around.. for a Sunday night.. it was a full on freak show... the oddities were out in full force... The grim reaper on the stilts was FREAKING ME OUT. Yikes.. All 5 of the gals, and 2 of the guys decided to Zip Line.. I thought NO BIG DEAL.. until I had to go out on that scaffolding that was 5 stories high.. OMG.. I was scared sh**less. Had a really hard time stepping up onto the ladder, and sitting down onto NOTHING... so off we go. I crossed my ankles, closed my eyes and yelled FUDGEEEEEEEEE (OK.. the adult version of the word Fudge) all the way across.. and landed HARd on the other side.. thought they were going to drop me back off the edge.. but i made it.. Whooppee. Would I do it again.. NOPE.. but I can say I did it once. The boys watched band that was playing on Freemont and loved it. (One Republic played Saturday night.. Bummer would have loved to see them). We all headed into Golden Nugget to gamble. Three of us sat down to the new Wizard of Oz machines.. where the Wicked Witch pops up randomly with surround sound, makes you jump out of your seat, and then sends the flying monkees out as replacemnts to your symbols. We were low rolling 40 and 80 cent bets, and I had my machine up to $148 at one point, cashed out at $100 for and $80 win. Hopefully the Halloween Stumblers will check it out and they have the same luck. WAY in the back if you go in on the Main corner. Met up with the group outside the Golden Nugget and were approached by a guy asking if we were looking for a ride.. DH replied.. yeah.. but there are 10 of us.. he said he could do it.. hubby asked how much and the guy replied $60 bucks. We jumped on it.. and ended up in a stretch SUV limo.. he dropped us off at Aria and the other at Tropicana.. the Virgins Loved it.. and the die hards like us were impressed too .

Monday was a do your own thing kind of day.. our friends from our hotel headed out to see hoover dam, and another couple did a flight over the Grand Canyon, hubby and I went to NYNY for breakfast at America.. had great bloody mary's and a yummy breakfast. Gambled a bit.. found my Bally's dragon game i like (the tetris type one) but it was not my friend. Played Alladin and got the bonus.. but I am not a fan of that game.. too much like a video game. Headed back to Aria.. gambled and lost. Not fun.. but I still had half my bankroll left.. so I was ok. Our original plan was for everyone to meet up and we would go to the Cosmopolitan Buffett. Ended up just the one couple that were staying in our hotel and us. We had a great dinner, it was impressive as the last time.. I loved the Braised Short ribs over mashed potatoes, the made to order mac and Cheese, the greek salad, and the sea salt and carmel Gelato. Made plans to meet up with the rest of the group.. during the waiting period, hubby had $10 in free play to use. He is not a slot guy.. so I had him sit at China Shores.. our friend sat at China Mystery. He was betting .90 cents.. and he got 169 free spins.. he was SHocked. Ended up with $409.. he could NOT believe .. One line hit was the RED Symbols for over $300 bucks. Our friends were just in shock. Because I directed him to the slot, he split it with me Hubby also played craps and won $260.. so he was pretty happpy with Cosmo. Finally gathered the troops and we went to Bellagio to watch the fountains. We stayed for an hour, watched hung out and chatted. It was nice moment. Tried to think of a place to go for a drink.. we decided Monte Carlo brew pub, due to locaiton and available tram to get there. It was a good choice.. room for all of us to sit and chat and bond. Said our goodbyes and headed back to the Aria. Gambled again for a while.. then headed to bed. Played for an hour in the AM before we checked out. We charged drinks at the pool, and our morning coffee and scones to the room. Ended up paying Tips cash, and had a little of our express comps left. Checked out total points.. and we put 109,000 points. Hubby likes the Aria.. and he wants to stay platinum if possible.. so I see another trip in our future .

It was a great trip. One down fall is trying to get 10 people to one place at one time.. it is like hearding cats.. always had one escaping, or one dropping off to go the bathroom. If you are still there.. thanks for reading. Let me know if you have any questions, or need any clarification.

2. LaRae

LaRae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! Herding 10 people is impressive. Congrats on your wins!

3. dunkindonut

dunkindonut Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The more I hear about Aria, the more I want to stay there:) I love China Shores free spins!

4. AliGee

AliGee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Major kudos for you doing that zip-line - yikes, the way it sounds I'm surprised more drunks don't fall off it! Thanks for posting, it was fun to read.

5. djen

djen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well done with a group of ten. A trip is always good when Buffett is involved.

6. RodneyK

RodneyK Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the great report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.