1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Notorious -- TheBucket Live TR 4/28-5/2 ... The last days of the Riviera

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by thebucket, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

The airplane departs in exactly 12 hours... Therefore I bring my Pre-TR here... to the TR-zone.

Enjoy, ladies and gentlemen. I'll do my best to keep the live reporting hot, from gambling to documenting the last days of the Riv, to doing that which perhaps should not be done... Welcome!

Let's kick things off with Duran Duran's song which had this trip in mind.

You pay the prophets to justify your reasons
    I heard your promise but I don't believe it
    That's why I'll do it again.
    -Duran Duran, 1986 (Capitol Records)

[YOUTUBE]HGDmBLAPikU[/YOUTUBE]

Let's do it, folks... By this time tomorrow I'll be at Sam's... In 48 hours checked into the ultimate suite in the Med. North tower at the Riv.

You'll hear it here, first, in the modern version of technicolor.

Let's do this.

2. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pre-TR Link

For anyone who may want to read the back-story on this trip... Please visit my Pre-TR in Misc Vegas Chat:

Pre-TR

3. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's make it worthwhile

Here's the first giveaway, and the largest, of the entire thread. The contributor who makes the most amusing-and-or-useful contribution to this thread will be the recipient of a black cheque from Caesars, which we will be visiting for a session of big baccarat. The decision will be entirely up to myself and my travel partner (a professional photographer). I'd make it a Riviera cheque, but the life-span and complications of cashing it after May 4... It's just too risky to make it a good bet. The winner will be judged seven days after our return from Las Vegas, and the cheque will be dispatched via USPS First-Class mail the following business day.

In the event that a postal mailing address is not provided by the person named as the winner in this giveaway within 2 weeks of the winner being named on this thread (address to be provided via PM here).... The cheque will be dispatched to Sonya of VMB-admin fame, and used to support the continuation of this board. In the event that we are unable to physically deliver the cheque to her, it will be sent to the Center for Gaming Research at UNLV.

One way or another, we're tossing a black out.

Why? Because this trip will be no.. no... Notorious. :p

4. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not useful or funny.

5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But I am looking forward to this trip report!

6. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great report in the making, good luck.

Tentative Arrival
  7. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And... I'm on the ground. Every time I arrive here, I can't help but think... I LOVE THIS TOWN!!!

8. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I however do not enjoy lines at the rental car place. Alamos self service kiosk doesn't like my DL.
    Grr
    [​IMG]

9. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck. Really looking forward to your perspective of the Riv's final days. I am sad to see it go. Good luck!

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  10. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We need pics.
    Someone said this was a Live TR.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  11. Lvfun23

Lvfun23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP on craps heater!!! Going to break Borgata record!

12. KyleB

KyleB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck Bucket, have a great trip and make some money (hopefully mo problems will not follow)

13. Brensan

Brensan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Bucket! I'll be in Vegas this weekend also, and downtown on Friday night. Unlike that Liar-liar-pants-on-fire Royal Flusher, I certainly am not witty, or interesting, but I sure do enjoy both of you and your trip reports! Maybe I'll run into you at the Riviera!

BEAU RIVAGE - Super Bowl weekend
  14. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This trip has been score after score... On the car front, the room front... Not, however the gambling front.

15. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got the car...

uploadfromtaptalk1430193206661.jpg

16. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And the ultimate palace atop the original tower of the Riviera... View in from my balcony/sun-deck.

uploadfromtaptalk1430193379239.jpg

17. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn!
    Let's see some pics of the room!

18. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More soon, busy winning money right now at the Plaza, who unexpectedly has 9/6 Jacks at the bar.

19. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. thebucket

thebucket VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alllrighty! On the Riv's wifi now, let's get some details on-board.

Day 1: No line at the airport, took forever to get the rental car (protip: if your DL has a letter in front of the number, include that letter when you reserve a car from Alamo. Otherwise you can't get your car using a kiosk).

Anyhow, got the car, turned out to be a 2015 Camaro, black, convertible. I really kinda wanted yellow for the Danny McCoy angle, but close enough. These things have NO trunk space. I literally can put my laptop case in it with the top down, and having it up doesn't provide much more. This promises to be an issue for our Friday trip to Laughlin... I'll probably have to see if Alamo will let me brng it back and exchange it for something with a bit more cargo capacity. Does anyone have any experience with doing that without paying a ton more $$?

Got to LV, got the car, all's well. Check in at Sam's Town put us in a 10 minute line, but nothing compared to some I've been in on the strip. Got a roof-view room (i.e. the worst possible view, which I thoroughly enjoyed). We decided to take it easy the first night and just hang out in Sam's Town, during which time I'd introduce my photographer-friend to the joys of harness race betting. Somehow, we won $5. Betting about $20/race on Balmoral Park. That's not an overall win of $5, mind you... That's our one and only winning ticket. It was absolutely brutal, my worst showing EVER. For those Airplane! fans out there it was 'worse than Detroit'.

So, after getting brutalized in the race book, we proceeded to the tables. A nice bit of blackjack kept us pretty near even, and some bar-top VP got us to midnight. With an early morning ahead of us and waaay too many beers in me, we headed to the room to get some rest before the sun would, all too soon, peek up over the gorgeous panorama of HVAC equipment outside our window.

Monday morning was nice. A bit hung over, but I was better off than I thought I would be. Got to Mandalay Bay and checked in for the Interop convention about 10 minutes before my workshop session was to start. I bid my friend a good day (he was going to wander the strip and photograph it), and headed off to attend class until 4:30. After that, it was time... To check in at the Riviera! Yeehaw!

I piloted the Camaro out to Sam's Town (windows down to conceal the bar-code stickers so I wouldn't look like a tourist... this has become an ongoing gag on this trip)... Picked up my friend there, and made a beeline for the object of our interest this trip... The one... The only... Yes, ladies and gentlemen and everyone else... The Riviera!

I has been everything I hoped for and more. More to come. Soon. Ish. Soonish.

Riv room pics on the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.