1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Nosh & Swig on E. Flamingo Road

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by kdor78, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdor78

kdor78 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody eat at Nosh & Swig lately? I found out about this Tapas style restaurant through a random google search and wonder if its worth a try. I checked out the website and it looks alright but I couldn't find any alcohol drinks on the menu. Anyone know if there are any? Thanks in advance.
    ~Kat

2. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have beer by the bottle as well as a few things on tap. I don't think they had any mixed drinks.

I didn't like the place at all (wrote a review for you below). If you want a sort of non-traditional tapas place, try Yonaka. It's off the strip and is modern Japanese served tapas-style. We ordered many dishes and they were able to course them out for us into one great meal.

My thoughts on Nosh and Swig:

It got lots of good reviews when it first opened and I was excited to try it. A Groupon was released for it a few months after opening, so I bought it and ate there a couple months later. In short, it seems a place that doesn't know what it is while trying to be everything at once. It's a place where they try their best to be bold and playful and modern all at the same time and it all clashes in a way that is confusing to the palate. Think of all the recent culinary trends...small-plates for sharing, Asian fusion, pork bao, bold cooking with bacon, clever names, etc...this place tried to do all of it.

First, the environment. It's in a pretty run-down strip mall. Once you go in, the space feels cold and uninviting due to the metal on the walls and the metal tables. The items on the menu made no sense being together. They had pork baos (on the menu as pork bun tacos), some asian-inspired chicken wings, ceviche, albondigas (meatballs), fried elote, monte cristo, carne asada sandwich, etc. I had the waitress just bring us her favorites because I had a really difficult time trying to figure out what I wanted.

We tried two drinks. The "chata-effup" (a spiced cinnamon rice drink which is essentially horchata) and the Mint & Basil Lemonade. The lemonade was decent, but the chata-effup was pretty watered down, making it very unsatisfying (imagine a half-milk-half-water blend). The drinks were served in large mason jars. Again, completely unnecessary. Why am I being served my drink in a mason jar? Nothing about Nosh and Swig indicates a reason for mason jars. It's just being done because it's "cool".

The food was okay, but not great. The best thing we had that day was the Cornflake-breaded fried chicken and waffles. The chicken was well-fried and the waffles were decent. It came with a blueberry sauce which was a lot more watery than I'd like. The other dishes all missed the mark in some form. The pork bao tacos really needed something to brighten up the taste a bit. It was a very flat and muddled flavor. Same for the ceviche. The ceviche had soy sauce and a few other sauces that made it a very salty dish, yet it was in desperate need for some acid. The monte cristo was completely lacking in any flavor and had way too much bread for what little was inside.

We skipped dessert because we were pretty disappointed in our meal. In the end, we paid just over $50 for two people (2 drinks, four dishes) and left trying to think up a place to go to dessert to lift our spirits. I was very annoyed at the whole concept of the place and the food did not make up for it at all.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  3. kdor78

kdor78 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your honest review ah6tyfour. I'm glad I won't be wasting my time getting to this place so that I'll just be disappointed. Thank you for the recommendation of Yonaka, I hope to check it out. Much appreciated!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.