1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

No Decision on NHL team for T-Mobile Arena

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by RealSolGlow, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like it's just talk at this point but I don't believe the Arena would not have been produced if they didn't have a pretty good idea they'd get a team.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With no mention of the NHL there has been lots of talk about opening a large arena in Las Vegas for the past 15 years or so. The reason it took so long to build one was because MGM was never really behind the idea, Caesars was but didn't have space to put one and the others that put forth the idea either never had space or the money to build one.

I've been to some of the Frozen Fury games in Las Vegas and the atmosphere and crowds were always pretty good, I'm not 100% certain if Las Vegas could support an NHL team but I do think they should be given a chance.

That said, what I think will happen is the NHL will drag this out until late spring or summer and then reopen the bidding process and try to get submissions from other cities, like Seattle, Portland, Kansas City, Hamilton or somewhere else in Ontario, Houston, somewhere in Virginia... and then award two of them expansion teams.

Right now they have submissions from Quebec City and Las Vegas but with the Canadian dollar tanking so heavily in the last year Quebec City isn't a viable option right now and for Las Vegas all the major sports leagues are just afraid of having a team there because of its reputation as "Sin City" and the fear of associating their league with things like sex, drugs, drinking, partying, gambling, etc - and it doesn't matter whether that is Las Vegas or not in reality because it has that stigma attached to it.

I just think that if the NHL was going to go with Las Vegas that they would have done it already because in most cities it would have been a no-brainer decision: there is an ownership group in place, they have a stadium that is in a great location, they have season ticket commitments, there is a huge pool of potential advertisers and sponsors and they should be able to sell out as many corporate boxes as they can squeeze in to the place... and then on top of that there is the potential to really establish and grow a whole "Hockey Tourism" industry which could be a benefit to a lot of teams in the league.

And by "Hockey Tourism" I don't just mean somebody who is a Boston Bruins fan going all the way to Las Vegas to see The Bruins play the Las Vegas ______ when on their west coast swing: that'll pretty much happen on its own... but more like "Hey, you saw your Bruins play the Las Vegas _______ in Las Vegas and that was cool! Why not book a flight down to Florida, take the family, see Disney World and then see your Bruins play The Panthers and The Lightning where you could pretty much buy a seasons pass for the price of one ticket back in Boston!" Thats something that already happens in a few cities for a few teams, but by using Las Vegas as a starting point to get people in to the idea of seeing their team in another city's arena could bring the idea to the general public masses.

But for now I just think if they were going to expand to Las Vegas it would have happened already and that the league is just too afraid to do it.

3. archie1959

archie1959 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about gambling in NV?
    Is this an issue for the NHL?
    Is Bettman a stick in the mud?

4. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The NHL is nervous about putting another team in the Southwest when they've had so much trouble with the team in Phoenix. That's what's causing problems (other than sports betting.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.