1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Niacin Flushing?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BlueSkadoo, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anybody ever had a niacin flush? I took a B-complex vitamin with 25 mg of B3 (niacin) and had my face turn as red as a coke can. It happened in a meeting I was leading, no less. My face is still red while I'm hiding in my office, but its not nearly what it was. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal. This is a new vitamin the doctor put me on about a week ago. Dr. Google isn't being terribly helpful, either!

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, niacin flush is VERY normal. I use the non-flush variety (I take niacin to reduce triglycerides, per my doc's recommendation)

I don't flush (though some do, even on the non-flush variety) but I get terrible heartburn (another well known side effect)

One way to limit the flush (or its public effects) is to take it before bed, and with aspirin. I'm also on a low dose daily aspirin regime (crap it sucks getting old) So after dinner (to try to minimize heartburn....) I take my niacin and my aspirin. No flushing or hot flashes, knock wood.

And the heartburn is getting much better (I started taking niacin about 2 months ago....)

3. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people take niacin to lower cholesterol. The flush is common, so try taking it before bedtime and it usually won't bother you during the daytime.
    There is flush free niacin on the market but I don't know about that in a complex vitamin.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had the same type thing happen to me 5-6 times. Only once related to b complex. I had been taking b complex for about a month but think it is more related to drinking beer.

For me its cause by my pancreas not working properly which comes from alot of heavy drinking. Just happened my last trip to vegas and almost ruined the trip. Was accompanied by abdominal pain.

Thats when i realized I had better dial back the drinking for a while to let things work themselves out.

5. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it is completely natural and nothing to worry about. I used to take Niacin supplements as part of my workout vitamin regimen but I stopped because of the uncomfortable flush and the "hot flash" feeling I would get on my face.

I don't know what search terms you were using on Dr. Google but I put in "niacin flush" and a lot of things came up - this is a good one:

http://nutrition.about.com/od/calcium/f/What-Is-A-Niacin-Flush.htm

6. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A niacin flush is normal and expected, if you take it every day(for cholestoral), it will tend to subside over time, nothing at all to worry about.

I work at a drug company that makes it, and we flush from the exposure, many people take aspirin to lessen the flush, you might want to give that a try if you are going somewhere that you dont want to be seen flushing.

7. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys!

I'm feeling better now. It didn't last long, it just caught me off guard. When I googled it, I was seeing people taking 500 mg and then getting the flush, so I panicked when I was getting it at 25 mg. I'm on the B-complex for energy/fatigue, so I'm trying to take it with breakfast. Maybe the corn flakes and a banana wasn't enough today!

8. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dr. Jersey Guys says

Besides the cereal and banana ,start off with an English Muffin or Toast,butter and Jam ,couple coffees ,maybe a quick pole dance and you'll be ready to tackle the day.I always figured there was enough vitamins in my diet eating three squares a day and never forget..theres more old drunks than old doctors.

9. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Lucky you didn't end up admitted to the hospital, been there, done that. Not fun, even the morphine was hurting.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a member of that club too! The Slo-Niacin I get at Costco now has eliminated it for me.

11. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are two forms of Niacin; Nicotinic Acid and Niacinamide. The nicotinic acid form can cause the flushing sensation that you experienced. It is also the form of niacin that is used in high doses (250-1000 mg) to help lower triglyceride levels. Taking an aspirin 30 minutes before your niacin dose should help to prevent the flushing. If flushing continues to be a problem, I would suggest that you find a vitamin product that uses the niacinamide form of niacin, which does not cause the side effects that the other form can cause. The niacinamide does not work to lower triglycerides, but provides you all the other vitamin like benefits.

Winter break
  12. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yaaa riiiiiight, sure you're not trying to pass a drug test?!? j/k

13. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get these flushes when I take Niacin, or when I catch myself thinking something naughty.

Or when I get Royals.

14. BlueSkadoo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since this incident, I've learned it could be for detox. Learn something new every day!

Btw, I haven't had another flush, but I've switched from corn flakes and a banana to toast of some sort (yesterday, peanut butter toast, and today cinnamon french toast) and I think that has helped. I haven't tried the morning pole dance yet, but if it happens again...I am SO adding that in.

15. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    morning pole dance... naw, too easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.