1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL Futures

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Brown Paper Bag Money, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brown Paper Bag Money

Brown Paper Bag Money Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    whats your feeling for the NHL Futures bet? I like longshots!!!!

im feeling the Kansas City Chiefs @ 18-1

Chiefs are in a weak division and can rack up some wins if they turn out to be about something... worth a shot

2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard to win it all without a top flight QB. I like Smith. He is solid. But I also don't think he is a SB QB. Who was the last team to win it all without a top flight QB? The first Ravens super bowl?

3. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe Flacco and the Ravens second Super Bowl. He posted a 73 QB rating the next season.

But, I agree. Smith is not carrying his team to a Super Bowl. I never liked him coming out of Utah. Wasn't Rodgers picked the same year later in the same round, IIRC?

Add Matt Ryan to my list of dislikes. Hated him at BC and still don't like him.

4. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought about Flacco as well, but he was good that season and fantastic in the playoffs. I am a huge skins fan, so I will never forget Rypien in 91. He was all universe that season! But never really had a good season before or since. Dilfer is the last QB I remember being subpar the season his team won the SB.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's always fun to take a flyer on a team or two. I put a few bucks on Miami last weekend. I have no idea why. And as always I put $100 on my Packers at 11/2.

6. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flacco was pretty marginal during the regular season that year. In fact, his regular season passer rating was 87 while his post season passer rating was 117. He averaged 240 yards/game.

I would agree though. Dilfer is on another level. I think he passed for around 150 yard/game and his season passer rating was around 75. Pretty awful.

But, you could also also argue that the QB job in 2012 was very different from the one in 2000. In 2000, a QB didn't need to throw as much or carry the team.

Heck, Troy Aikman in the super bowl years only passed for 200 yards/game and held an 81 career passer rating. These days, if Aikman were a rookie with those kind of stats, he might be considered pretty mediocre.

But, now I'm just getting carried away and way off topic. Fun discussion though.

Didn't Doug Williams have one of those years like Mark Rypien? Bad, great, and back to being bad again?

7. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sort of. During his SB year, he started late in the season for the Skins after the starter went down. And he played well for the rest of the regular season and very well in the playoffs. Next year, he started and was decent, but nothing spectacular.

That SB was so weird. The Skins looked awful for the first quarter (gave up easy points and almost lost a fumbled punt return inside their own twenty) and then, suddenly, blew up with big plays in the second quarter. Denver had no chance in the second half because they were stunned after that quarter. The second half was pretty boring.

My larger point is that when I bet a SB winner before the season starts (I did not this year), I usually start by identifying the eight best QBs and pick from those. Its only worked for me once, but eveyr year I've done it, the SB winner was in my initial eight teams I selected from

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.