1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Newbie craps Qs

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Scoobee, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobee

Scoobee Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New to craps, and have a pretty dumb question.
    If I place a bet, say on a 6 or 8, can I "stop it" after a few rolls? Maybe I don't understand the game, but seems like its only a matter of time before the 7 comes up anyway. Can I bet on a couple of rolls, and then take my bet down, or is that considered to be bad etiquette?

Thanks, I enjoy the forum.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can definitely do that, but i will say if you're constantly turning bets off and on, the dealers are going to hate you.

also, that doesn't improve your chances of winning. a lot of times the 7 comes on the first or second roll and you're going to hate yourself if the shooter rolls for 30 minutes hitting lots of 6s and 8s and you turned your bets off after a couple of rolls.

3. BKCallaway83

BKCallaway83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played craps quite a few times because of the entertainment factor. I lost most of my sessions probably because I'm playing incorrectly.
    after the point has been set, is it best to take full odds? is it not best to take full odds on certain numbers which are harder to hit even though the payout odds are better?

I tend to make bets on odds on all number available once the point has been set. so i get smashed quite often because the 7 comes out so soon. I'm sure i'm playing improperly to give more HA.

without a player rolling for 15 minutes, how do i make my money last?
    any help would be appreciated.

4. PensiveGerbil

PensiveGerbil Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your goal is to make your money last longer, then it would be wise to bet less money per roll. One way to do this is to refrain from taking/laying odds. If you bet $10 on the Pass Line, your expected loss due to the house edge will be about 14 cents. If you take $50 in odds after a point is established, your expected loss will still be about 14 cents but your swings will be much greater. The odds reduce the house edge of your total bets but do not change your expected loss.

You can also reduce the number of Come and Place bets that you make.

Finally, it is helpful to only make bets that have a relatively small house edge. These are: Pass, Don't Pass, Come, Don't Come, Place 6, Place 8, and the odds.

For those whose goal is to get lucky and run with the money, taking maximum odds is the way to go. Just be sure to set a win goal and loss limit...and STOP when either one is hit!

Good luck!

5. Tbone3336

Tbone3336 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taking odds on Pass Line Bets and or Come Bets, as has been mentioned, do reduce the house edge on that pass line or come bet, and higher odds reduce it further, ( 2x odd, 3x odds etc.). However you will have more bankroll on the table, so what you have to factor in is you bankroll requirement before you even begin. if you come to a $10 table with $100 and bet pass with double odds and a come bet or two each roll, your overall risk of ruin is very high.

This may not be perfect analysis, but on a $10 table, $10 pass line with double odds has $30 on the table for any given point, add in two come bets with double odds and you get $90 in play if you make it past the third roll. This would be the basis of determining that bankroll needed for this game. There are a few websites I believe that will help you determine bankroll requirements based on what and how much you bet on, during a given game. This is, I feel a very important and overlooked thought process before even playing a game of chance.

Hope this helps and others can provide more info. There was also a stickied thread about craps basics and betting and such in this forum, I will look quick to see if it is still active.
    Good Luck to you.

6. Tbone3336

Tbone3336 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40584

Not sure if the above link is inserted correctly, but in the stickie thread section above on this forum there are four threads that give an extensive discussion on starting craps and some good advice. There will be some differing views in the thread, but for the beginner it is a good place to start.

Good Luck!!

7. BKCallaway83

BKCallaway83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I will definitely read up on that.

8. PensiveGerbil

PensiveGerbil Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To answer your question about taking odds on different numbers... If your goal is to make your money last longer, it would make sense to take less odds on the outside numbers which are harder to hit. Most games on the strip offer 3-4-5x odds, which already forces you to bet less on the outside numbers if you are taking maximum odds. Therefore, to last longer in these games, you can reduce the size of your odds bets (relative to the maximum) on any number in equal proportion (if that makes sense:)). For example, if the maximum available odds are $50 on the 6 and $30 on the 4, then you might take $25 odds on the 6 and $15 on the 4. Of course, taking no odds would be better to maximize your table time before going bust!

9. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the main reason I don't play craps as much as BJ. I'm pretty decent at exercising a moderate degree of patience, but there's little worse than watching your single line bet just sitting there, with or without odds, while every other number is being hit roll after roll. Therefore, I usually end up making couple come or place bets if for no other reason than to avoid being bored to death. While losing a $10 or $20 bet at BJ is no big deal, losing two, three, or more times as much on a single roll can get expensive fast.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  10. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The way you phrased your question you may be another victim of the Gambler's Fallacy. Just because the 7 hasn't rolled for a long time doesn't mean there is more 'pressure' (or something) that makes it more likely to roll now. It's always 6/36, every time. So I'd just put your 6 and 8 out there full-time and try to win a lot before the next 7.

11. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are comfortable with a $20 BJ bet, for craps, I recommend finding a $5 table. Bet $5 on the pass with $5 odds behind ($6 odds if the point is 9 or 5) and making a $6 place on 6 and 8. That's a $22 bet that will give you lots of action.

12. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gee, thanks Mike, that's a tremendous help! :) I was merely stating that it's a whole lot easier to end up with significantly higher bets at craps than BJ even with the same base bets. In hindsight, I don't know why I bothered. :D

13. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, it's definitely easy to get more out there at craps! I bet $100 on BJ, but I've had more than $800 working at a time on a craps table, when things are hot and I'm pressing.

It's just a matter of finding where you're comfortable. My wife, on the two occasions she's played craps, plays only pass and then single odds. And then places either the 9 or 5 (horrible bets) when she thinks it's going to hit.

BTW, if you're ever at the table and my wife bets a 5 or 9, you should piggyback it, because I don't think she's ever not hit it. Which goes back to the fact that my wife is a witch. But that's an entirely different story.

14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless the dice just went off the table. That means a 7 is coming. It's physics!

15. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got that right. At a $5 BJ table you can bet $5 per hand; and except for a push, doubling, or splitting (or both if DDAS), it remains a $5 bet and you won't have to wait very long for a decision. A base $5 bet at the craps table has a way of growing into multiple and larger bets. Either that, or you could end up waiting and waiting, while everyone else (or so it seems) is raking in the chips. Then of course, the shooter 7's out and you end up losing after all that waiting anyway. No, I don't bet the field and prop bets just for instant gratification, but it's hard to stick with just a small line bet. Damn – isn't gambling fun!

5 / 9 huh? I would think a witch could even get by placing the 4 / 10, though buying would make more sense. :)

16. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't question the powers of the witch. I just hope that they are used for good and not evil.

17. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good advice given. Get out there and roll them bones!

18. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    see sticky at top this section ON cRAPS

I always wanted to try Craps, but I was too intimidated. But I learned back before there were computer programs to help us. So, I lost a lot of money.

You folks don't have to learn it the hard way. You can go on a virtual site and practice and learn to play the right way before you ever walk up to that table.

Have fun, I know you will!

19. RPMCanes

RPMCanes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And for God's sake don't say the name of "The Number With No Name" that comes between 6 and 8!

20. Scoobee

Scoobee Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This forum is great! That's exactly what I wanted to know! And thanks also to WrongWayWade for reminding me of the 6/36 stats.

I'm using a computer program to practice, but this forum is terrific! I esp like the thread about tipping the dealer. thanks all

:beer:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.