1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New TSA check point

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently the TSA doesn't have enough to do, so they have now added a new check point. As we lined up at the gate for our SWA flight, two TSA agents started doing random pat downs and bomb chemical testing at our gate. They were also doing random searches of carry-on bags. Too bad they don't have body scanners and can't xray carry-ons before hand.:wink2:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They actually scanned my hands at a pre check? I guess for residue?

3. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In some airports they've even relegated themselves to entrapping airport employees in various situations. I can't stand the TSA.

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Going through another screening at the gate isn't that unusual. I don't know if they have it much here in the US (IIRC it was because of the cost) but its common overseas, at least in Asia. Worst was Manila where you go through security just to get inside the airport, than inside the terminal, and then again while walking to the gates, and then again at your gate. One time I was so tired and so annoyed by the time I got to the gate that I just walked right past the security and told them I don't care I'm sick of doing this. The second I said that I knew I screwed up and would probably be arrested but I just kept going and sat down at the gate. Ironically they came up to me and apologized for the hassle and then just did a cursory security check on me right there instead. If I tried that here I'd probably end up in a Guantanamo or something.

The bigger problem with our TSA isn't their use of checkpoints, its just that they're stupid and devote more resources to theater than real security.

5. ju5tagt

ju5tagt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1:nworthy:

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, it really isn't unusual. TSA sometimes do random inspections in the middle of the terminals as well.

Security checks at the gates are common internationally for flights departing to the US since it's a rule that was set by Homeland Security.

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh, I remember leaving Beijing last time, not only did I have to go through all the security to get to the gate, but then when it actually came time to board (after 6 hours of delays), they insisted on opening up my carry-on at the gate and going through literally its entire contents piece-by-piece.

8. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had gate checks in addition to the pre-screening in Mexico, a couple of times.

9. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This morning they used the wand to swipe my hands. On the upside, I didnt have to remove my shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.