1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New to Vegas

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by Steph N, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph N

Steph N Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I moved to Las Vegas about a month ago for his job. We're already bored of the touristy stuff and are looking for new things to do. What are some things we can do off the strip?

2. jackincols

jackincols Guest

I hope a Vegas local chimes in here for you, Steph. In the mean time, it may help to know your likes (hiking, bike riding, arts, museums etc)?

3. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

It really depends on what your interests are, we like to go off-roading, shooting, hiking, Frisbee golfing, he also golfs and I like to take photos. We also love trying new restaurants and new beers at Yard House, Aces & Ales, etc. The monthly tour at Joseph James Brewing is always a good time too.

4. Steph N

Steph N Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like trying new restaurants and places where we can relax and have a drink or 2 on the weekends. We're not very outdoorsy. We do enjoy museums, exhibits (like the 'Bodies' one they have now), and astronomy. I also love taking photos, I'd also like to know about sightseeing spots nearby.

5. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spring Mountain Ranch is one of my favourite places. It is close to Red Rock Scenic loop and Bonnie Springs.
    The place has great history, used to belong to Howard Hughes, etc etc. I won't spoil the rest of it. They have Lake Harriet, this is a really cool spring sourced stretch of water with a bunch of different wildlife around it. There are often deer and burros in the area, so lots of photo op's.
    In spring/summer they have an outdoor theatre program too.

Also they have the occasional civil war re-enactment going on.

First trip of 2017.
  6. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget the new Smith Center, lots of different things going on there. I for one, would love to catch Carol Burnett's show coming up at end of September. http://www.thesmithcenter.com/

I visited the Neon Museum back in May, great tour and kinda fun to see all the old signs and hear some of the history. http://www.neonmuseum.org/ You do have to book a tour in advance sometimes only an hour in advance, :)

Atomic Testing Museum might be interesting to you also, http://www.nationalatomictestingmuseum.org/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

The Mob Museum downtown is fun. Bellagio and Venetian almost always have some sort of exhibit. I take regular trips to the Peter Lik and Rodney Lough Jr. Galleries on the strip. Downtown has first Friday and Streats on the second Saturday. There are several farmers markets across the valley, as the weather cools it'll be nice to visit those again. I like to take photos on the strip and downtown. Also, Mt Charleston, Red Rock, Valley of Fire and the Wetlands. China Ranch is a date farm that's a neat trip. They should be harvesting now so it's a good time to visit. A bit further out, but still a day trip is Death Valley. Utah is great for weekend getaways, Zion and Bryce are spectacular.

8. Steph N

Steph N Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about the Fremont Street area? I've heard there are some fun things to do down there.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, but they're going to be touristy, which you said you're already bored with.....:peace: The Mob Museum (as mentioned by Vegasbound right above you) might work.

10. paperposter

paperposter VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how old are u guys,i live here,i drink gamble and dance the night away.
    lay at the pool and relax.

theres also bowling and everything else you will find in a big city just have to poke around.

there a french store called target and a k mart and sams clubs and on and on.

search for locals deals on google

11. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver Vegas Guru at Infinity

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on your side of town. Mt. Charleston is a good place to catch lunch and a nice drive. Bonnie springs isn't what it used to be but nice days getaway. Pahrump has some cool things to do, but the vineyard is great. Redrock , valley of fire, death valley, lake mead, Hoover dam, boulder city, Laughlin. I moved to Vegas in 1995 and I just got out and drove. Neon sign vineyard, mob museum, springs preserve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.