1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New to SW Air and Uber – just sharing

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Turtleman, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown SW between Vegas and San Diego on two occasions (and AirTran years earlier), but my then girlfriend made the reservations. Therefore, making my own arrangement this afternoon for next month's Vegas trip was a new experience. I feel somewhat disloyal switching from Delta, but the low fares and being able to make changes without the $150 penalty more than compensates. I'm not sure if EarlyBird checkin is all that necessary, but I went for it this time. Even so, the fare is about half what I've been paying on Delta when not using FF miles.

I also used Uber for the first time last week going from Suncoast to Gold Coast and again a couple days later from Gold Coast to MSS. (I certainly got my "money's worth" for $0 using my introductory credit on my first trip.) Where I normally would have taken 2 or 3 busses for $1.50 and had the "fun" of walking between stops with my rather heavy backpack, going door-to-door for was well worth the difference. (I don't care about the time savings so much over a weeklong trip, but it was still a plus.) It was a bit confusing at first, but after seeing how simple, fast, and relatively inexpensive it is, I'm hooked. Getting from A to B has never been easier! Guess I'll have to try Lyft next.

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make note of what you paid for each leg of your trip. It can be tricky to find later. If the price drops you can 'change' to the new fare and have a credit towards your next booking. Credit is good for one year from original booking.

Good Luck!
    esad

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ty. I had read on here about recording the per flight fares, but had forgotten. It's done now, though I'll be surprised if they go much lower. I need to go back to Vegas so soon like a hole in the head, but it's good to have a trip to forward to! Maybe I'll see you again in Dec. BTW: did you post the photo of us at MSS last week?

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't really bother to take note of the fares, I just go back in and "change flight" and see what the price is now. One big note is to keep track of when the original flight was booked. I just thought I had a $76 credit coming from our Christmas booking, but it turns out I had rebooked that once before and that credit will expire in mid-Feb, so I couldn't use it and will lose the credit unless we squeeze in something in January.

Christmas
  5. JoJoR

JoJoR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just keep track of the confirmation numbers and head over to https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html and that will show you the value and expiration date.

6. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I, too, was/am a loyal Delta customer. Also really liked Airtran (easy first class upgrades). I do still travel Delta often, but SWA is in the picture more often.

The biggest plus for me at SWA is that I can check 2 bags. Most of my trips involve golfing while in Vegas. This 4 hours on the course saves me a lot of money, since I'm not at the tables during that time.

I have made changes on flights a few times and saved $ or points. I have never canceled a trip, but I like this option.

As for EB, I do this on return trip only. Too easy to forget to check in while in Vegas. Don't wish to miss a good boarding position while chasing that royal.

NCAA Football Championship Game
  7. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, and it's probably out there on the Web somewhere, but can anyone tell me if SW has a lounge or sharing privileges with other lounges in Atlanta and/or Vegas? When traveling with my ex-girlfriend not that long ago, I used to get into Delta's Sky Club in Atlanta and the Centurion Lounge in Vegas as a guest. I sorely miss those "good ol' days," and even bought my way into the Sky Club on my June trip. (I think you have to be flying Delta to do that. Yeah, it was pretty expensive, but way cheaper than a yearly membership.)

When I purchased the EarlyBird yesterday, it appeared that I had to do so for outgoing AND returning flights. I would have preferred to do so on just the outgoing, as it's horribly frustrating trying to exit a plane from far back, especially when catching the WAX or a shuttle. It's no biggie, and I understand you can purchase EB after buying the ticket, but didn't feel like making a third phone call.

I also see from their inflight magazine that SW charges $5 for alcohol vs. $8 on Delta. I like SW already! Of course, I was just curious, as I'd never bring and discretely pour my own! :D

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas
  9. FLACookieman

FLACookieman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could you tell us how much your introductory credit was on Uber? Did you sign up and create your account in Las Vegas? I will be in Vegas in 2 weeks and will be using Uber and Lyft for the first time then. Any info would be appreciated.

10. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't yet. I'm planning to post a short Trip Report this weekend and include it then.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  11. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son loaded the Uber app onto my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S5) about 4 weeks ago in Atlanta and tried to show me how to use it! He also found a code for an introductory credit of $22. He said there are lots of sites on the Web listing codes, some for higher amounts, but that many turn out to be bogus or for less money after applying. I don't have a clue if that's accurate, but was happy to get the $22. That more than covered going from Suncoast to Gold Coast. (If I had to pay outright, I probably would have taken the WAX to downtown or to the Tropicana and used Uber from there!)