1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New golf toys!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by klawrey, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I gave in today and ordered new irons. Been gaming some Titleist 735.CM with KBS Tours for the better part of 8 years. Today I ordered a fresh set of Titleist 716 AP2s with KBS Tour C-Taper Lites. Ordered through my former coach so got a great price. It was time for a change. Demo'd about 8 different shafts in the AP2 yesterday at the local golf shop and settled on the C-Taper Lite. Also ordered 3 new Vokey SM6s with the KBS 610 Wedge shaft in them. So excited! Now if only this Michigan weather would break!

2. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You still will shoot your 150 ..ha kidding of course

Congrats on new clubs

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Nice selection. Titleist nailed it with the new APs. I got a chance to abuse the new stuff last fall at Titleist HQ, was very taken with the AP2s. And the 1s look so much better, too. I added an 816 H2 a few months back. I don't hate hybrids anymore.

I've had C-Tapers in my last few sets of irons, now on a DG ultralite -- never thought I could spec into a light shaft.

Good on ya!!

4. Fafa2e

Fafa2e Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always fun to get new gear. I've decided to stick with my current gear and invest in lessons. I'm not playing good enough to warrant new equipment. I do need to get my clubs re-gripped, any recommendations for good grips for hot humid environments (South Florida)?

Bonus Money to Burn
  5. ken2v

Golf Pride MCC New Decade is one uberpopular option. I played them for years when living in a hot, desert-like climate but since moving to the central coast have had to get something a bit less hard. After trying a LOT of grips -- mostly softer models -- I needed some kind of compromise and I've gladly settled in to the Lamkin UTx cord, which I've found is just fine when I'm back in the desert, too. Golf Pride's new CP2 line does high texture without cord.

Really, the best option is to grab, grasp and grip at your LGS.

P.S. I don't use a glove.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I"ve been buying, trying, and selling clubs on ebay. Amazingly, I've made $25 selling used clubs after buying them new. Tried and sold Cobra Amp Cell. Their regular shaft is a lot more flexy than other regular shafts I've tried and the ball went way too high. Also rejected were Adams XTD. They are really ugly but I thought I could use the extra forgiveness. Just too clunky for me. Every time I try the AP2, I flush them. They are calling my name. The 714 still look mighty sweet to me. Just sold my MP-60 irons so I'm down to only one set. My Callaway X2 Hot pros. I'm itching for something different.

C taper lite is not that light of a shaft. Just a little lighter than a regular C taper. Titleist makes some beautiful irons.

7. ken2v

5-15g, and even more of a spread in the parallel tip. But it makes a huge difference in launch.

That's what gets me with my 2016 Apexes, a damn XP 95 shaft and it doesn't balloon. It goes straight up the chimney but it doesn't balloon.

8. Rush

Rush High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got some new Adams sticks, and then the weather tuned! I've been staring at them for three weeks!

9. ken2v

I admit to having a bit of Imelda Marcos in me when it comes to golf shoes. I put in a new pair of TRUEs a month or so ago and these arrived over the weekend:

IMG_1340.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Just something we never have to contemplate here. What a bummer, man!!

10. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Waiting for the weather to turn, and then some practice and a round or two to get my swing looking like my swing, then I'll be off for a new club fitting. Probably replacing everything but the hybrids, 3 wood and putter.

No brand picked out yet. I'll go where the fitting points, more of less.

11. ken2v

Going in brand neutral is the key. Good luck with the fittings and have fun.

12. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you like the H2? I hit it this weekend and thinking of adding it to the arsenal in place of my 3-iron that is seldom used in a round. I hit it with the Motore 8.8 and really liked it. It was long though the 19* wouldn't really replace a 3-iron for me as I was carrying it 230 on the average and I only hit 3-iron 215. So may have to try out a 21* to fill the gap.

I also tried all of the PXG stuff this weekend too. All I can say is pure brilliance but at $2400 for an iron set, $700 for a driver, $400 for a hybrid it's a little steep for me.

13. ken2v

I love the H2. First time I've ever said that about a hybrid. Ever. I like the small size, I like that it traps the ball like an iron. I, too, have the 19 but at 55, fat and a 14, it slots in well in the bag at 215 give/take at standard settings. I have the Rogue. That's really all I need. I don't go for many par 5s these days, so I seldom even carry my 3w now. The times it works out are far outweighed by the times it does not, so it might not look all macho but if I'm 230 out, say, I hit wedge wedge. It's not easy getting in to the greens here at La Purisima, and at the club everything is a pushed up saucer with three elephants underneath.

I've not yet dented the PXG. I need to set something up.

14. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ken

Having a bit of an internal debate about whether to just do it at local Golf Town ($100 for fitting, Swinglabs)

or going all out to a place that has Trackman (and a putter fitting thing too) ($400 for fitting, plus clubs could be pricier depending on the shaft recommendation).

I have no doubt the latter would be more thorough, but for my game not sure the value would be there, and it could really blow up my budget. And the budget is already a big stretch compared to my historical spending on clubs.

15. ken2v

Many ways to proceed. Data is good, no question. But I'd rather have a green grass experience with some old salt who does everything by the seat of his pants than a bunch of numbers generated in a box and collated by someone who might know something about what they mean and what they mean to me. And you never know how well calibrated will be the gear at the corner golf shop (versus a place running something like Trackman). In a perfect world you have something like we have down in our desert at Palm Desert Golf Academy. You have a PGA of America teaching professional certified in Titleist Performance Institute and fitting from five or so manufacturers, at a green grass facility with tracking capability.

I'm less of a numbers guy than I was a few years ago, and namely because I'm being fitted by people who know me, whether I'm at one of the OEMs in San Diego or at a green grass facility. I only say that because my computer specs don't really line up with the real world of how I swing and hit the ball. (In a similar vein, every time I get data from Cleveland Golf, they spec me into clubs way more "game improvement" with a lot less shaft than anyone else.)

Sorry, that's getting off the reservation. I know your a bit of a player so you have an idea going in. I suggest just beating as much different stuff as you can, at demo events, hopefully outdoors off grass, and narrowing the field. You might not like the sound of Club A or the topline of Club B or whatever, and you'll know pretty damn well what works and doesn't. If you then have an idea that it is gonna be PING or Titleiest or whomever, find a certified fitter for that brand. If it is a toss up between Mizuno and Callaway, that's two stops. Most of the factory guys they send out to demo events are pretty good fitters, as well. If it really is a toss up, or if you really want some numbers verification, hit a place like Hot Stix or whatever you have in your area.

16. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please report back your thoughts when you get the chance to check them out. They seems to be on to something but will be interesting how they can survive at that price point although the local shop here says they have sold 19 iron sets since they receive them last June. At a minimum of $2400 a pop they aren't doing terrible at 2 or so a month.

17. ken2v

I'd like to hit them alongside some of the Japanese exotica. I have some tester Miuras still kicking around in the closet. Hmmmm.

Not my game of course but still fun to kick tires, any tires.

18. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The driver was unreal. Not only did it travel but it felt awesome and I couldn't seem to miss it left or right if I tried, just straight ropes. And $699 retail isn't too far out of the realm of driver prices. Hard for me because of my connections to the industry I rarely pay rack rate for anything and it seems PXG accounts are few and far between this early in the brands existence.

19. ken2v

Drivers. Bastards. I'm hitting a 2013 model year Bridgestone right now, and killing it. Bastards. Drivers.

20. Backspin9

Backspin9 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love new golf toys. I recently tested most of the new drivers and was especially interested in the new Callaway XR and the Taylor Made M1. A lot of it, of course, depends on the shaft, but off the rack the M1 and the new Cobra were the best for distance and accuracy. The XR and the Titleist 915 D2 were a little shorter, but not by much.

My current gamer is a Ping G30 with a Graphite Design Tour AD GT5 shaft and not one of the drivers I hit were as long as that one is. It was worth testing them out, though, if for no other reason than to confirm that I was better off saving my money. Now, put that shaft in one of the other heads and maybe you squeeze out a few more yards, but overall, it didn't seem worth it.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.