1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New Driver time or not?? That is the question...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Slotchick, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need a new driver, well "coach" says I do anyhow. Apparently paying a few hundred or more to gain 15-20 yards off the tee is worth it according to "coach". "Coach" is an amazing golfer and I feel privileged to golf with him at least once a week. He's 66, played as an amateur when he was younger instead of turning pro and loves to build a swing from the ground up; that is where I come in. He saw potential in me when we first met and he's been helping me build my swing ever since.

On to my dilemma!

I hit my driver well about a 220-230 average. My current driver we bought because it was pink, I know! Don't say it, but yes I bought it because it was pink, never tested it, just ordered it online at the time when I saw it. It's a ladies Cobra Amp, a few years old now and 11.5-13.5 degree loft depending on where you set it, currently I have it set at 11.5. I need to lower the ball flight I swear I will make it rain one day I hit the ball so high!

They started me out with a "lite" shaft driver and it was ok, didn't seem to give me much more than what I get with my driver. Then they handed me a driver with a regular shaft, did that feel good and did it go!! I didn't feel like the club head was lagging, if that makes any sense. I tried a driver with a stiff shaft and it was clunky to me, my swing speed isn't up to that one.

They had fun with me though, they handed me one driver and it only went about 130 yards and was slicing it so badly it was awful! The guys were all chuckling as I struggled to hit this thing, I tried about 10 balls before I realized they were all laughing at me trying to hit this thing. They had handed me a driver with a 7 degree loft, I was the joke for a few days at the golf course; boy, did the men have a good laugh! My only response was "at least I hit the ball with it!" might not have been straight or with my draw but I did hit it further than a wedge!

I got the specs for the driver that I really liked the look and feel of, but am super hesitant to buy one for the extra few yards! The Cobra F6, 9.5 degree with a regular shaft felt like butter out of all the drivers they had there. New about $420 CDN if I remember correctly.

The pro shop has a Big Bertha 10 degree with a 42 gram, regular shaft that I took out on the course for 18 to try out and it felt amazing too! Used for about $300 CDN.

Then next option is to steal the driver out of DH's bag, which is a Taylormade SLDR 10.5 with a 49 gram regular shaft and I like the feel of that one too; but, that would mean he would be buying a new driver and bought 2 last year! FREE, with exception DH would feel the need to buy a new driver. It's my turn I say... my turn!! Besides, I already stole his odyssey putter and old Mizuno Cimmaron 5 wood which as old as it is, feels like swinging air and goes like stink out of the rough!!

But is any of this worth the extra yardage?? What would you all do??

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How accurate are you with your current driver? And is your current distance leaving you longer approaches and costing you strokes?

No doubt a newer driver with less loft would be better for you. But if you are hesitating about the price, chances are excellent it is not worth it for you. Driver prices are massively outsized compared to their impact on your score.

The compromise would be to get an idea what specs you like, and then buy a 2 year old model that matches them better. Should be maybe a third of the price of a brand new one.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard a lot of bad things about the SLDR having very little in the way of forgiveness. Not to be too sexist, but I see very few women driving the ball 220+. Good on you!

A lot of driver fitting has to do with backspin numbers. I buy all my drivers used off ebay or my local golf stores.

4. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Accuracy with my driver is pretty good! When I have taken out the Big Bertha or DH's SLDR for a round of golf, my accuracy increased, but then they aren't actually a fixture in my bag, if you know what I mean.

The distance won't help me score better from 5500-5700 yards, it would help when I play 6000 yards any extra yardage helps when I move back. I lose most of my strokes inside 125 yards, I can honestly say my short game needs help. I'm a long hitter, and struggle with the short game, unlike most women I play golf with whose short game is strong.

Buying an older driver is the best idea! I know a fellow here that actually buys and sells equipment and can tailor it to the specs you want, I might have to give him a visit.

Snidely - Thank you :)

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let the technique be your guide. Inside takeaway, keep legs and feet still fighting the urge to tilt, feel like your feet are anchored to the ground, cocked wrist at top, go back less than what you normally do, the swing is just that: a swing, should feel no tension whatsoever in upper body, roll wrist just a blink before impact, complete follow through.

If you are slicing badly with very little distance, a million dollar driver won't help you. You must bring the club head away from the ball inside of the target line. You're a batter and you're trying to hit the ball over the second baseman's head, that's what you should be thinking.

Don't get all tensed up. I think that is what you are doing. You want to hit with the big boys and that is not within your capabilities. 225 - 250 down the middle is every bit as good a 300 into the deep rough. Drop it down a notch, a solid hit on the sweet spot is every bit as good as a crazy Bluto swing that is going to slice or worse, hook.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should try out various drivers with varying lofts and shaft stiffness to see which one is for you. Some stores will let you borrow a club to try it out at the range and the course, you should test drive the club before buying it. While it may look good or work well when you try it out at the golf shop you never know how it will perform when you are actually out there playing.

Buying a driver that looks good is mostly a female thing, most of us guys just want a club that works best for us. Yeah, a club that looks good is great but if it doesn't do the job then it is worthless to me. I had different types of drivers, square ones that worked fine (until the head cracked), long drivers, shorter drivers, high loft drivers, lightweight drivers, heavyweight drivers, etc. Some worked better than others but trying them out at the range and course really showed me whether they would do the job or not.

Also note that as you start to age your body also changes so the same driver you had 10 years ago might not work for you anymore. I used stiff shafted clubs 10 years ago but gradually had to scale back and now started to use senior shafted clubs. I used to have a John Daly type overswing with stiff shafts and 9 degree driver but nowadays my swing is more of a 3/4 swing and I use a 10.5 degree senior shafted driver because it is easier to hit.

When I first started out I was buying all the newest models and getting a new one regularly. Now I go to second hand stores and will try them out first before buying but lately I have been buying a new driver maybe every 4 years or so.