1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New cell phone, perhaps a new carrier

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

My iPhone 3G is about toast, and there's no more putting off its replacement. Also gives me a chance to kick AT&T to the curb, but when you get right down to it the Big 4 just generally suck across the board.

Looked at Consumer Cellular based on its high service rating at CR, but the equipment is so limited.

Anyone make any changes recently?

2. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had ATT and whenever I was in the fringe areas, I had no reception while my friends and family that had Verizon always had reception. I switched just over 2 years ago, and haven't had a problem since. Data is fast, and the majority of the time it is 4G.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My cell phone & wallet were stolen from my office 3 weeks ago. I got a new phone (I was out of my contract period, thankfully) Stayed with Verizon because I'm on a family plan with my husband & in-laws. Got a droid razr M (I'm also the only one in the shared plan with a smartphone, data, or texting plan....)

In our rural county, Verizon has the best coverage - we've been with them since they bought Alltel and their towers (who were previously the best in our county) and I've not had any problems with coverage during my US travels. (I have a cheap unlocked phone I travel with & buy sim cards/minutes in-country if I want for that trip)

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure this won't apply to you Ken and I only post it if it might interest others. We use Virgin Mobile for service. Both our phones have text, internet and data, but we don't use any of those services. They are strictly used as phones and not very often.

Monthly cost for each phone is $5.41, plus .18 cents per minute, but the monthly fee rolls over every month and never expires.

So far the only coverage problem was in Nebraska driving cross country and that was 3 years ago, so maybe things have improved.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe - I have looked at their plan - and if my data use starts messing up everyone else's plan, I would switch to it and go rogue:ssst:

I'm mainly pissed I've lost my Verizon unlimited data plan that I was grandfathered in on :grrr:

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Same with me and AT&T if I get a new phone; well, unless I want to buy a full retail unlocked phone. But after looking at my usage it's just not an issue. It's really just the attitude toward a long-time subscriber. That plus the fact that the coverage sucks.

7. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am partial to Sprint b/c I work there part time. They just put a ton of money into replacing towers and introducing 4g LTE data. There are still some growing pains as they are still in the process of putting up more of the new towers. Out of the big 4 ATT and Verizon are going to be the most expensive. Tmobile does not have as fast of internet speeds and in the end it actually ends up costing a couple bucks more than Sprint. But when it really comes down to it you need to use what has the best service in your area.
    To bring costs down there are also ways to reduce your bill with employer or association discounts. Some of the employer discounts are up to 25%. If you have AAA or do any banking with a credit union they give you a 10% monthly discount plus they waive the activation fees.

A couple other promotions right now are they instantly give you $100 off your smart phone if you are porting a phone number from another carrier. Another incentive is if you have the AAA discount and port in a number they give you an additional $100 credit on your bill. Plus they will buy back your iphone 3g even if it is crapped out (might not be too much if it doesn't power on but its still money for something you were just gonna toss out).

A couple more things that doesn't hurt is Sprint is making big commitments to be a "Green" company and they have one of the highest rated customer satisfaction for their call center.

Ken send me a PM if you want any more info.

8. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too am partial to Sprint but that is because I use a lot of data and unlimited data cannot be beat. Service is just serviceable (see what I did there) but the unlimited data is enough to keep me there for the time being.

9. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is wrong with Verizon?

T-Mobile is up and coming. They are probably the best value.

For most people Android phones are better than iPhones.

Motorola is the best brand.

Recently, Verizon upgraded their network to 4G-LTE. It is blazing fast. It is about as fast as cable internet service.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  10. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I think Samsung would dispute your statement there.

My personal phone is a Motorola Razr. I like it, decent size, but battery life sucks. My work phone is an iPhone 4S. Smaller in size, which I need for work, but only runs on 3G. Battery life sucks there too. Once the contract runs out on the iPhone, I'm going to find a comparable sized Android phone to replace it. I don't enjoy the layout of the iPhone apps when I can customized the look and feel of my Android phone the way I want it. Both phones are running on Verizon with maybe 1% dropped calls and 80-90% 4G uptime in my area (throttles down to 3G when 4G isn't available.)

My advice, see who has better reception/service in the area that you live or travel to, then look at the pricing. No sense paying a cheaper rate for 4G service when it only comes in at 3G where you need to use it.

Verizon has been running 4G/LTE for 3-4 years here in the boonies, longer in the big cities.

11. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 5 phones on an AT&T plan and just upgraded my phone from an Iphone 3GS to a 4S. I love the new phone and at the same time I switched to the Mobile Share plan. Only 2 of the 5 phones are smartphones but I went from 2GB and 4GB of data to 10GB of shared data along with unlimited talk and text and saved around $140 a month. I have never had problems with service here in South Texas with ATT
    Mark

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a happy AT&T wireless customer and have been for a loooooong time. We have five-(5) IPhones (all 5s) and text and e-mail like crazy. My phone works everywhere I need it to and my billing for the most part is correct. The couple times I have had to call about a billing issue, yeah it's "chore", but things have always been amicably resolved.

13. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Verizon sucks but they're the best network of the big 4. I root my phones so don't have to worry about their Gestapo lockdown on the phones.

14. StormHawk

StormHawk High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got an iPhone 4s and over the last 18 months I've gotten used to how it operates. The only reason I'm considering staying with iPhone is because of the familiarity, but if the new iOS is going to be different anyway I'm probably going back to Android. I don't like not being in control of what I can do with the device without jailbreaking, etc. I'm happy with sprint for the most part. Nothing spectacular, but no complaints.

15. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a weaknesses of the Motorola's.

Otherwise they are great.

16. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been with T Mobile for many years

Are they better or worse than anybody else? Dont ask me,I pay $88 per month for two phones ,a Samsung Galaxy s2 (got free) and a regular phone. 1000 minutes ,data on one the Sam. no texting . Got the Sam mostly for the camera.hardly use the internet ,we never go near the 1000 minutes.

17. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been with Verizon for years. Not going anywhere because Verizon just flat out works whenever, wherever.

Yes, I can hear you now.

18. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Battery life on my last phone - Droid X - was terrible. I think my new Razr M has great battery life. Is it just in comparison to how bad the last one was? Because it doesn't have to search as hard for coverage now? No clue. Just know that I'm happy with it:thumbsup:

Apparently the phone quality sucks but I don't care - I have actual cameras I use when I want good photo quality. I only take photos of my cat being cute or stuff in Costco I want to look up when I get home:evillaugh

19. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I chose a Verizon cell for my first one based on a Verizon employee's post here. At the time Verizon was one of the first cells that I could use from LV and call back to NH with no roaming and good coverage. I did the family plan for awhile and eventually as my kids got their own phones, I had a sinble Verizon plan which I used mostly in my Driver Ed car. I don't text and so I used it for all my long distance calls as well as convenience. When I didn't renew my contract with a public school I kept the cell but didn't use most of the minutes. I checked my usage at the beginning of the year and it was 30-50 minutes most months so I read about Consumer Cellular as recommended by AARP. I called, ordered a phone and was on the air 2 days later.

I am required by regulation in NH to have a cell phone but instead of $46 or so a month I am paying less than $18 with taxes. They are super to call for help and if your usage is running high you can call and switch to a higher minutes plan which goes back to the first day of the billing period. The next month you can call or email and drop back to the old plan again.

I have received excellent reception, customer service, and great prices. I kept my old number and the switchover was fast and painless. I preferred it over all of the pay as you go phones and am now looking into going to a digital home phone as well.

Jimbo338

20. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Razr M with Verizon and I'm very happy with both. I haven't had a coverage problem in many years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.