1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Needed Escalator Repairman

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by acepro4, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acepro4

acepro4 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just returned from my Vegas trip over Thanksgiving weekend and it seemed the half of the escalators on the Strip were not in operation. Who maintains (or should I say, is supposed to maintain) these anyway?
    Does anyone else find this as annoying as I do?

2. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do find it annoying! Looking forward to someone who can give us the scoop on this. That's the great thing about VMB, you can get answers for EVERYTHING.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://nevadadot.com/News/Press_Releases/2015/Tropicana_Avenue_Pedestrian_Bridges_Undergo_$26_Million_Upgrade_in_Las_Vegas.aspx

That also references fixing 16 escalators (at ONE intersection). That project is the only one I can find a reference to on the NVDOT website, so I suspect that the cost has just shot up to $35m.

Oh, and it won't be done until 2017 :( Yeah, no hurry guys :rolleyes2:

5. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They really need to address the problem. Back in March on one day almost all the escalators from Tropicana to Sands Ave were broken.

Of course it was the day I wanted to walk the strip from Trop to Encore.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. shiner1724

shiner1724 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Evidently the custom made parts are being shipped on a slow boat from china. Escalators have been had been in a sad stare for as long as I can remember.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my past several trips, it was rare that any of the UP escalators at Flamingo were working at all!

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Contractors. But at BreakEven posted it looks like these are just the Trop ave escalators. So who knows how long before they tackle the rest?

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I find it annoying as everyone else, but what do you except? Outdoors, subject to rain and blowing sand. It's mechanical and these things happen.

11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not that they break, it is that they stay broken for long periods. Which could have to do with the custom parts issue.

Stuff happens. But it is reasonable to expect that they will design things in such a way that they can quickly maintain them. If escalators can't handle exposure to outdoor rain and sand, then the design questions need to be how else you get people around, or how you protect the escalators. If the technology can work, but the specific ones are old with no company to support, then they need to be replaced and maintained by a company with an ongoing supply chain and service commitment.

12. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realize there will always be issues with the amount of use these elevators are subjected to, but yes it does bother me. Thankfully I'm still able to use the stairs and walk and don't have to rely on the elevators that are sometimes nearby. I used one once and it was a smell worse than the outhouse at a thousand person construction site.

13. acepro4

acepro4 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's a novel idea. If you are going to design, build, and install an OUTDOOR escalator system ... then design, build, and install a product that with withstand the OUTDOOR ELEMENTS. I guess maybe I am just being to logical.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  14. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen to both of those comments!

And if you go drill into the history, you can look at the glacial pace at which this whole government process moves. Request for Proposals went out at the end of Oct 2013. They knew long before that what crappy shape these escalators were in. It'll be 3 years after they first proposed it before any actual improvements start.

That appears to be the only active project related to escalator replacement (at least that I could find). So assume that the units at any other intersections won't be updated for at least another 3 years.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've also noticed the same thing with the moving belt walkways at V/P. Last couple of visits there (infrequent) most of them were not moving.

16. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "I like an escalator, man, because an escalator can never break....it can only become stairs. There would never be an 'Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order' sign, only 'Escalator Temporarily Stairs'....Sorry for the convenience."

-Mitch Hedburg

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.