1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NASCAR Weekend

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by smartone, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't see much, if anything, here about NASCAR weekend. I was in town for a couple days and watched the hauler-parade up the strip on Thursday evening and it was a great event. Perfect weather, large enough crown to make it an "event", but not so much to make it a pain. Great time!

I watched the race on Sunday from home on TV and was pleased to hear the average race in Vegas is 20% shorter than the average NASCAR race in general. I enjoy NASCAR, but putting in half a Sunday to watch a race is too much for me anymore. Rascal Flatts did a fine job of singing the anthem and the Air Force Thunderbirds performed a bad-ass flyover. Throughout the race they showed planes landing and taking-off at Nellis, as well as some beautiful shot of the valley.

In reading this brief article, it appears they have finally "fixed" a lot of the traffic related issues getting in and out of the speedway that were so troublesome in the past and the crowd in the stands looked every bit the size of years past. All in all it appeared to be a fantastic several days for Las Vegas and it's NASCAR visitors.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ron-kantowski/six-hours-sights-and-sounds-nascar-race-day

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you about the length of the races. There are a few that are meant to be “endurance” type races. But most of them need to be shortened by 20-30% IMO.

Vegas puts on a helluva race. I always encourage NASCAR fans to make the trip at least once. And I would encourage any Vegas fans to try out a race at LVMS. It’s quite a spectacle, tickets aren’t too ridiculously priced and if you pop for the “Lucky 7” parking you’ll be in and out in no time. And seeing 43 cars doing 190 mph in person is pretty crazy – TV does not capture it.

Oh yeah, and you get watch jets taking off and landing at Nellis. That’s pretty cool too.

3. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They had Harvicks car at the MGM and I know Danica Patrick and another driver were doing a signing there on Saturday night.

They'd also set up a 'change the tire' type thing in front of Monte Carlo on Friday for people to try.

Unfortunately I totally missed the caravan Thursday night.

4. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just drove in to Las Vegas from the North on I-15 today and there were significant numbers of haulers heading out of LV. They were backed up for two miles on the South end of the Virgin Gorge construction zone. I'll bet traffic headed back to So Cal was just as bad.

Bill

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.