1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Napa/Sonoma/SF/Monterey ideas

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bobby jones, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at finally planning a trip to left coast of the US. Outside of one quick dip into Cali, I have never been! We are looking at 7-8 days next fall with of course 2-3 in LV included. Looking at flying straight out to SF and exploring the city, Monterey and wine country. After which a quick flight to the Valley of Sin, then back east.

For the veterans out there, Is SF the best home base for 4-5 days or is it better to break it up a little and perhaps stay south in Monterey or up in Napa. I know on the map, things look fairly close but, reality might be different. Not a big fan of living out of a suitcase packing and unpacking every night or two. As of right now, no golf but, might be able to bribe the SO to let me check PB off the list for a single round.

thanks

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Apples to oranges to grapefruit.

But I do agree on just staying put. If you stay in the City you have SF at your disposal, and you can pop in a day trip to Monterey and/or wine country. Then again, I can muster up a lot of reasons to just make Monterey the home port, and they're knocking out some great wine in the Santa Lucia Highlands. It really comes down to the importance of and what types of experiences you want to have. Pebble offers non-stay, book-the-day-before rounds a good part of the year. The website shows an availability calendar. Leave the cart, hire a caddie.

Anyway, let us know what's really important and we can give you better recs.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Things do look close but traffic is always bad. Everything takes twice as long to get to as you think it should. If you want to do wine country stay up there. Commuting from the city will kill half your day.

4. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thoughts also.
    I would stay in the city, both the Peninsula and more well known wineries are day trip reachable.
    While there are stupendous wines in Santa Lucia Highlands, you will have more choices in Napa or Sonoma.
    Golf, if not Pebble, then Pasitiempo would be worth a look. Or stay close and play Harding Park.

5. M0rtyC

M0rtyC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would choose SF as base. Muir Woods , easy drive to Monterey, Great breweries ( Russian River, Anchor, Lauginitas). In SF... Water Bar (great oysters), Perry's. Best (dive) beer bar in the county Toronado on Haight. Buena Vista (top 10 Irish coffee in the galaxy)
    Great day trips (bus preferable) to Napa and Sonoma.

One of our best trips ever. We would go back in a heart beat and base out of SF again.

Annual end of the rodeo trip
  6. Gamesman

Gamesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think there are any bad courses in the Monterey area.

7. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the replys - leaning towards SF as a base. Unfortunately time is thy enemy. I would be great to camp out in one of the surrounding areas. Would love to do separate trips for wine/city/golf but, not this time. Semi-retirement is still 15 years away!

If anyone has connections to Cypress........:)

8. Claire

Claire Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would plan to stay in Monterey and Napa the day you planning visit there. You dont want to drive 1-2 hours back at night after nice wine and food..

9. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^+1...I lived in the SF Bay area for 40+ years and the traffic just keeps getting worse. Save yourself way too much time in the car and stay in the area for the time your planning on being in each location.

Christmas comes early
  10. win4me

win4me Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 I live in the Bay Area and this would be my preference & recommendation (assuming you want a full day of activities & dining in Monterey & Napa areas). But if you do not mind a 1-2 hour drive after your jaunts, you may prefer the SF home base.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.