1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My TR.. new experiences..

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by sporty8705, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I had a death in my family, so I had to get to Idaho.. I knew I had to be there by Wednesday as the funeral was the next day.. I had to figure out the most cost effective way to get there.. so here we go!

5/4/15
    I was going to rent a car, drive it there and then drop it off, and have flights the rest of the ways to and from, decided last minute to just drive my car to save 300 bucks.
    Stopped at the outlets in Barstow to shop at Coach and then back on the road. I left at 1pm, and even with the stop, arrived at 530ish.
    Drove down the strip, and checked in at Westgate.
    I used VIP check in and my 3 room suite was ready. It was nice that the Customer Service manager even answered my email on the weekend when I was trying to get rooms, and it was even nicer of him to put me up in a 3 room suite on the 29th floor.. heck yes, for just my kiddo and I. Grabbed the monorail and headed to MGM. Ate at Rainforest cafe, which IMO has gone down hill. Lack of attention and the prices are more than I remember, which is fine, but lots of things gone off the menu.

5/5/15
    Slept in til 8, got up, went to Excalibur for breakfast, got there at the end of breakfast and the beginning of lunch. Used 1 free Myvegas Buffet. I wanted to try it out since they remodeled it, and I couldn't when i was there last month. I thought it was just ok, maybe because I was there in between, or maybe I just didn't think that there was a lot of selections I think I will go again, for a meal, and not at turn over time.. I loved the desserts, seems that they really focused on improving it and there was a lot more room to move around through the whole buffet. I liked the self-serve drinks too.
    Then we went down to the arcade and spent 40 bucks and got a ton of prizes that are useful, which was a nice way to spend time with my kiddo. Then we went to Hersheys and spent too much there, then kept on to M&M and Coke spending too much there too.
    We went back to the hotel and went to the pool for awhile. It was nice and hot, which I liked, but it was also windy too, which cut down on the hotness of it.
    We left the pool, cleaned up, and then drove to the Circus. We were too late for the adventuredome, which apparently closes at 6pm, so I got 2 fake tattoos, which is good, because I already don't want them the way they are. We went to the midway, played games, watched the clown show, played in the arcade,ate dinner and left. I was waking in between rooms (naked) to get into the shower, and stepped on something in the dark, and thought it was a toy of my kiddos.. nope, happened to be a huge hunk of glass, in my foot. I pulled it out and of course, blood everywhere, on the bed, the floor, my legs.. I had my kiddo bring me some pants and try and find a wash cloth.. I needed a bandaid, so security came up and cleaned it, took pics, and a report and then left. The whole ordeal took like 2 hours, so we were in bed by 11.

5/6/15
    We had to be up at 3:30 for a 4am shuttle. Packed up the luggage we were taking with us for the day, and checked the other stuff with the bell desk. Checked out, caught the shuttle, made it to the airport by 4:15, and had to wait for the desk at US Airways to open at 4:30.. Checked the car seat and upstairs I went with our shared piece of luggage, my purse, my laptop, his backpack, him and the stroller.. Grabbed muffins for us as well as a water and waited for the flight. The attendant by the slots said my kiddo could sit there in the chairs near the slots if I wanted to play.. I don't know if he was desperate for someone to play, or someone to talk to but I played 10 and was done..
    Boarded the flight with a stop in PHX.. the muffin made me super sick so I needed to get real food, so we walked to the next terminal for Wendys and then walked back in time to board to BOI 2 hours later we landed.
    I went to try and get my rental car at Dollar rent a car, and all the other counters have like 2-4 people at them, and seem to be moving fast, and thus have no lines, but Dollar has one person, a chatty Kathy who is playing more like 40 questions with the people, taking forever. I finally get up there after literally 2 people and 45 minutes and she says I am early and thus I have no car. I show her where I booked 1pm, and I need a car. She says she is out of economy cars, and then would have to charge me for the next size up because she is out. Somehow my total went from 80 bucks to 250. I said hell no and walked away. Avis gave me a 15 dollar/day rate and I had to take some kind of insurance package with the rate and Sirius radio, for 114 total for a minivan. Not too bad for last minute, so I took it and left.

Ate a cracker barrel in Idaho and went to the hotel and slept.

5/7/15
    Attended my grandfathers funeral.. it was sad and horrible as my mom was his only daughter and his only biological family there ( other than my kiddo and I).
    He served 44 years in the Army so there was the full military funeral, that his wife didn't want, in the pouring down rain.
    Left the cemetery, and had to go to the ER as my foot was now majorly infected. Went to the reception.. they wouldn't let us in, and when they did, the food was all gone. Left there, ate at Chcik Fil-A and then dropped my mom at the hotel, and we went to returned the car, and waited for our flight out on Allegiant.
    Got back into Vegas at 9:50, gout out to the shuttles and their systems were down, good thing I made my mom give me cash because I didn't have any. Back at the Westgate by 10:30. Check in lines were miles long still, walked up to VIP check in, got our 2 bedroom suite this time, up to the room by 10:50, asleep by 11:30.

5/8/15
    Woke up at 8 and decided that instead of coming home Saturday we would just leave today so we could leisurely drive home instead of being in a rush like we would have been Saturday. Cancelled the last night, checked out. Went to MGM to redeem free coupons, ate and left by about noon. Got gas at Primm, drove home, was home by 4:30-5:00.

Final notes:
    I live 4 hours away from Vegas but haven't driven there in like 8 years, I always fly,, so I can drink and get there faster. I have never driven by myself so that was new, and I don't know that I would drive both ways again, just didn't like the drive.. haha
    I always fly on Southwest, but from ONT to BOI and even from LAS to BOI was like 400 bucks each, each way. So thats why we drove to Vegas, had a day there, even though we were there last month, and flew out on US Airways, which charges for checked baggage, and has assigned seats, which I hated. I didn't like it, but for 160 bucks each and the ability to see a state we haven't been to yet I jumped on that..
    Return flight was on Allegiant and the only flights they have from BOI to really anywhere are on Sundays and Thursdays. So we flew out after the funeral at 9pm. They also have assigned seats, charge for bags, and drinks. I used a free bag from Myvegas for that.. I wouldn't fly them again unless they were cheaper than Southwest (maybe) or if I have to go somewhere that SW doesn't fly.

2. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Holy smokes, that was a lot of roundabout traveling...drive to Vegas/fly to Idaho, stay north strip/travel south strip. Other than the funeral, glass in the foot, and stupid Dollar attendant, it sounds like you had some good quality time with your kid! Glad you made it back safe! I'll be at Harrah's Rincon tomorrow, but let me know next time you go to Pechanga...we'll try to get a handpay!

3. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea I did.. nothing like a total of 10 hours in a car with just him and I.. I liked that I was able to spend the time with just him. usually family goes too, and they watch him and I gamble.. this time I didn't have any inkling to gamble, maybe because I knew I couldn't or I was just over it.. I did gamble at the airport and that was fun.. but it was a blast for sure..

I was at pechanga today, since we had to be back by noon so he could be with his dad, so I went there..

We should try and get a handpay .. but im sure your level is way higher than mine

4. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

I have been playing slots more than I used to....lots of penny slots too! Ever since Plee showed me pics and videos of Wonka...I now have to play that every time...damn him...lol! I still haven't gotten a handpay from pennies yet, so that is one of my goals!

5. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wild shit...I used to drive 3 hours to Reno every weekend...hell, I have to drive to Riverside AND BACK tommorow, just to pickup a car! hahaah...I shoulda been a trucker'.

Palace Tower Suite!
  6. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WTF kind of thing is that? damn.. I hate driving to vegas, thats why i started flying.. it was kind of fun, to do it once..

7. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could you determine what/where that piece of glass came from? Sucks to be injured anytime, more so when away from home!

8. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I never did, but when the secuirty guard was shining his light behind the table by where i got poked, there were more pieces of glass there. Maybe the previous people did it, or it was missed.

9. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just for the record. As a veteran traveler who takes, on average, 35 trips a year and stays over 200 nights in a hotel every year I keep Bandaids and a small tube of antibiotic in my suitcase. Total investment: under $10.

Right now I have a broken toe, dropped a sheet of plywood on it last week, ended up in the ER and x-Rays show two busted bones. It stopped bleeding after 9 days. Was in Colorado last week, am in Nashville now, will be in Vegas in a week and will keep up with the antibiotics for a bit longer. Suggest you do until your foot is completely healed (no pun intended). Feet are naturally nasty, dirty places so take good care of it!

Wish you all the best, sorry about your loss.

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a bit of a rough time. What car rental BS. And really sucks about the glass! Hopefully your foot healed up okay! And condolences for your grandfather.

Thanks for sharing this TR, definitely not your typical trip to Vegas!

11. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ordinarily I think about trips months in advance and thus forget nothing. I had 2 days to figure this one out, including the morning of.

I forgot contact solution, deoderant, contact case, bandaids, neosporin, proper shoes. I was buying shoes the morning of the funeral because I knew vegas was hot, so I packed all hot clothes.. It rained the whole time in BOI and I had brought a dress for the funeral, so I changed the clothing up a bit, but flip flops were not going to cut it.

12. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brother-In-Law getting deployed until November, wants me to drive his car (so it doesn't just "sit")...ANNNND we only have one car ATM.

Palace Tower Suite!
  13. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh that makes sense then. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.