1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My Tax Preparer's BIG Mistake !

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Apr 4, 2006
    My wife + I have gone to the same Tax guy for several
    years, now.
    The guy's business has expanded + at tax season he
    hires a lot of ( preparers ?) + accountants.
    There are at least 20 cubicles.
    I'm working with a woman ( I don't know ) on my taxes --
    and she tells me I have to pay taxes on my
    (deceased mother's) insurance inheritance.
    I said, "I already had them take the taxes out before they sent
    me the check -- why am I paying taxes twice ?"
    Her answer was vague.....and something like -- "Well, you should
    have put it into an IRA within 60 days.......but I'll have Bob explain
    it to you when we finish, okay ?"
    I thought it over for a while as we proceeded --
    then asked the same question again -
    "How can I be taxed twice on this ?"
    ( It was no small amount )
    We're finishing up -
    and she has the supervisor check her work ( standard proceedure ).
    The supervisor starts changing some numbers on the computer
    screen.......then, he points to a number on one of my forms ( ?) and shows
    the woman tax preparer.....but NOT ME.
    He turns to me and says "I'm gonna get you money back."
    She taps him on the back and says "Thanks, Bob."
    I sense something is up ?........not sure what's going on ?
    I say "Thanks, Bob !"
    He says to me "you were $1,800 in the hole....but I got you a $7,200 refund."
    I said "Thanks, again, Bob !...that's a BIG swing !"
    He says "Well, this is why we double check all work."
    People -
    That's a $ 9,000 swing !:nono:
    What kinda Crack House are you runnin' here, anyway ?:evillaugh
    And NO.......I didn't have to pay the tax AGAIN on the inheritance !
    I knew she was wrong !:nono:
    She is not touching my taxes ever, again ----
    ( I'm guessing, she must have only been a bad " Tax preparer" )
    and I hope she gets "let go" before she screws everyone else up.:grrr:
    PS :
    Bob had us file "Married, but Separate.... " --
    saved us nearly $500.
  2. smrtypnts

smrtypnts Low-Roller

Mar 27, 2007
    New York
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    As good a reason as any why I do my own taxes. No one but no one is going to screw me up!! Especially some idiot woman who clearly knows nothing about how taxes work and how you would NOT have to pay taxes twice on inheritance.
  3. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Feb 17, 2012
    Los Angeles,CA.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am lucky to find a good tax man

My tax preparation is very simple but I don't know how to do them so I have a
    One man office tax preparation guy do my taxes. I always see him on the second week of March when I have already received all of the forms and papers that I needed to do my taxes. It feels so good to get them done.

I am in the habit of putting all of my tax papers in a box every time they arrive in the mail so when it is time to do my taxes I already have them all in one place. It saves so much time by doing that every year.

This year I decided to have my tax return money put directly into my checking account.

I told the Tax guy that going to see him is like going to the dentist.lol.
    I wasn't sure how much money I would have to pay out so it was a nice
    surprise that it came out okay like last year. "WHEW". LucyR.
  4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Oct 5, 2007
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only go to a CPA to do my taxes. And I only let a CPA touch my taxes.

There are a lot of commercials on how tax preparers help you but I like that commercial where the guy's plumber knows him and says that he did the guy's taxes but today he is a professional plumber. The commercial is correct, H and R block and many of these services are not CPA's or licensed professionals and thus IMHO are not qualified to do my taxes.

Joe, you are correct, I would never let that lady touch my taxes ever again, even if she is a CPA or gets her CPA. I would complain to the supervisor that they need to hire more competent preparers as you probably could have done as good a job as she did. :Þ

Sorry but I got burned once like Joe did, while a couple of thousand may not be much to others it was my money that I could have used. After that I never let anyone but a CPA do my taxes, even if it cost a few hundred a year more.
  5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Feb 24, 2002
    North Carolina
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used to have a CPA in town do our personal taxes because he did the business taxes (multiple corps, makes it easier to have one person familiar with all the $ do all the taxes - and that sure as heck ain't me:evillaugh) Anyway, the first time I had to deal with the guy, I didn't like him, but my husband (and his parents, corp owners) didn't want to switch. The next year, he messed up but small, caught it. I made another comment about switching. No. 3rd year, BIG screw up, we finally switched to someone I picked out :peace: And she works with my husband throughout the year so it's not massive stress in Feb & March - it's an ongoing process (her fee includes this in addition to the actual "tax prep") I think ultimately you have to be comfortable with the person you hire - and sometimes even those with the credentials can screw up:peace:
  6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Jan 8, 2009
    Burnaby, BC
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you go in to get your taxes done this time of year those "tax preparers" don't have any accounting or financial skills... they are just average Joes who have at least rudimentary computer skills and are willing to work for minimum wage to pick up a few extra dollars a week.

The software they use is the same programs you can buy at your local shopping center or "big box" store for about $30-40, of which they get about 5-10 minutes training with.

So you can't expect too much.

The only advantage of taking your taxes to one of these places is that once the preparer has done your taxes they are reviewed by somebody who actually is qualified in the field and they will look for any mistakes or omissions and correct them... which is what happened in this case.
  7. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Mar 7, 2011
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly! I've been doing my own taxes for a good 10 years now and have never had a problem.
  8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Aug 22, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't even have to go to the store anymore. You can buy the software online for $20. And a lot of financial institutions get you a discount on it if you order through them (like TROWE Price, for example.)
  9. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Mar 9, 2007
    Riverside County
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    My CPA did my taxes this year and last year.. and apparently last year they had the wrong bank account number... and i got back like 400 bucks.. this year I got back 6,000 and when they asked if anything had changed I said no, not knowing... luckily the bank grabbed the refund and rerouted it to my account.. next year I will make sure they have shit right..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.