1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games My First Don't Session

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Brewfangrb, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewfangrb

Brewfangrb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love craps and try to play it whenever I make a trip to my local. But until yesterday, I'd always played the light side. When I first learned craps, I played the pass because that's what I learned about craps and didn't really understand the don't. Also, that's what everyone typically plays, so when you're new, you get tips/help from other players, etc. After a while, I just kept playing it because of the camaraderie.

So yesterday, I decided to give my first really don't session a go. Bought in for $500. $10 on the don't pass with max odds behind it (more on that in a minute) with a DC full bore. Usually, I didn't get very many DC's out there--a lot of times, just 1. Table was cold to light side bettors early on. Playing the don't seems a lot more volatile than playing the do, but that might only be if you push the DC hard. You can get rolled by a hot shooter, or if the 7 comes at the right time, you can go from a max trough to max peak.

My local's craps game is a $5 min with 5x odds (across the board). My problem was I had the rule of thumb in my head for a 3-4-5 table that the "trick" of the 3-4-5 is max odds will always give a payout of 6x the PL bet for the odds. So I foolishly just flipped it--thinking "Oh, 6x my PL or DC bet for the odds will give me max payout." Of course, that's wrong and dumb. Unlike a 3-4-5 table, where the max odds bet on the don't is always the same, on a 5x table like this, the max odds bet is an inverse to the pass. So I messed up. I started at about 2pm and before I knew it, it was 6pm. Strangely, I've never had time pass that quickly at a game before--where I'm not checking my watch or phone, etc.

I was quickly up 2-300 by the time a full pass around the table went by (early on, lots of PSO or P-#-SO). Then there was a hot shooter and I dropped to about $100 left. Turned it around and I was close to leaving...but made a grave error and got just a little greedy, I guess. I was up about $600 and figured I could go another couple hands and see what I could do. Ended up leaving up $320. Played some hardways late in the game when one shooter was hitting them regularly (dumb, I know--but I played for a little and only late). The only "bad bet" I only ever make is the All-Small-Tall. I hit the Tall twice. Came within a 6 of hitting the Small and All. A six! Meh. Definitely a fun session and it won me over to the dark side. But it does require a larger bankroll than betting the pass.

Actually, the truly grave error was I decided to play some blackjack and ended up busting out for a net loss on the day/night of $500. On a single deck game! Very irritating but not a complete loss. I'd won about $320 the week before on BJ. So in all, not a bad deal. Part of the game of playing. On a minor aside, I played this game in the "high limit" area (I use quotes because my table was a $15 min. High limit, indeed). I played $25-$50 hands. The killer of this game is in exchange for single deck, they take away every other rule that's a player advantage. Double only 10-11, no DAS, no surrender. It's still H17, like every game there. Per the Wizard, that makes it very close (within .05%) of a 6 deck shoe w/ "normal rules" (DA2, DAS, RSA (pretty sure) and early surrender). I won't be played the single or 2 deck games there again. (The quirk--I think--is that the rules aren't table limit variable...they're based solely on the # of decks).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the Dark Side!
    Not much talk on here about the DS except for a few.
    It can certainly be just as profitable if not more so.
    A table with all DS players is a different animal and a lot of fun.

Where did you play, Oneida? Potowotamie?

3. Brewfangrb

Brewfangrb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oneida. I like it a lot. Much less smoky than it used to be and the BJ rules are very good for having low limits, etc. Oh and it's also about 8 minutes from my house.

4. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was one of the more fun tables I ever played on.
    Never played or bet the All crappy bets, but did the first roll there since they re-did the joint
    First roll hit All sm med & tall... all the numbers decent roll 4-5 passes 30-40#'s

5. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it helps I scope out a table by looking at the chip population at the rail first and the player's faces second. If I see lots of green/black/purple and everyone is happy the table is hot and not a place for a wrong bettor. If the rail is pretty empty and the players are staring at the ceiling or have blank looks, that's the place to be.

Playing the don't is a short term proposition as you found and you can get wiped out pretty quickly. When I was playing the Pass Line once I rolled eight 7's in a row on the come out roll - brutal to anyone on the wrong side. However, make it past the come out roll and the odds are on your side despite the point.

Get in, make some money, get out and go do something else! Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.