1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My experience with credit card holds

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Jun 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Downtown Grand requires a $50 CC hold or $100 cash deposit upon check in which is refunded at check out.
    At both MB and PH I asked not to place a hold and neither swiped my card nor was a hold put on it. Those were basic rooms and my understanding is for anything higher in room category they do place a hold.

Avis car rental only charged my credit card for the amount of the rental, no hold. Other companies wanted to put a $300 hold on it for the car. Avis will accept a debit card but they do a credit check and put a hold on it for around $300 I think she told the guy in front of me. Here is a key bit of info, if you prepay for your car rental with Avis, they will put a hold on your card but if you don't prepay they do not. Not sure why.

Tentative Arrival
  2. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the Avis Prepay...
    Yep, $100 hold on the prepay.
    No rsvp and it only holds the value of the rental...but if you use a debit card, its a $200 hold.
    On the hotel issue...
    All Boyd's hold $100 hotel charge.
    At all the CET's we've been to, when asked for "incidentals" (ability to charge stuff to room) we said NO, and didn't have to swipe a CC...but we ARE diamond card holders, so YMMV.

Palace Tower Suite!
  3. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my 4 or 5 stays at Downtown Grand, the CC hold has been $50 per night (e.g. $150 hold for a 3 night stay).

4. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I remember right, both The D, and Golden Gate put a $100 hold on your CC. I think mine was released the day after I got home, so it was quick.

5. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the USA banking system's complete incompetence when it comes to fraud protection, I no longer use debit cards for anything other than withdrawing cash from ATMS (and that only rarely due to the problem with skimmers.) Using credit cards makes it a lot easier to deal with hotel holds as long as you have a healthy credit limit and low amount carried in charges on the card. It really makes life a lot less stressful that way.

6. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bingo. I also only use my debit card for ATM withdrawals. CCs offer so much better security, and the hold process seems to be much shorter than on a debit card.

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Debit cards make little sense with traveling

As to a $50 or $100 hold... if someone has an issue with that, I am going to get on a soapbox... they probably should not be going on any trips, especially Vegas. Your personal finances are too tight to be dealing with this frivolous travel.

8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just give them the card when they ask for it. They swipe and do whatever it is they do.

it drops off after I leave.

pretty simple process.

9. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still like to know what expenses I can expect when traveling; temporary or otherwise. But thanks for the unsolicited opinion anyway.

10. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I'm sure some people have a problem with it just on principal. I don't, but I'm sure some do. And, I can understand why they do it. I just give them a card, and get to drinking/playing.

And, yeah, about the only time I use my debit card now is when I need cash back for the vending machine. I use my CC for everything else. Plus, me getting money back when using it doesn't hurt any.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry if my reply was a bit, well... you know.

As to expenses, since it always just falls off on a credit card, it is not an expense at all.

12. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no problem leaving a cash deposit that will be back in my hand when I leave. I do not like anything being put on my cards when its not needed, plus I have low limits on my cards so I need to make every bit available.

Tentative Arrival
  13. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How dare you use logic on this board!

Nick:beer:

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Semi recent history at Flamingo and Bally's here. If you pay for the room up front and decline room charge privileges, they will charge only the room (plus tax and nuisance fees of course) and not do a hold on the card for anything more.

As for cars, Advantage used to (haven't used them for a while) tell you the exact amount they were holding on your card. Most of the others don't seem to tell you unless you ask them.

15. kankan53

kankan53 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no problem with them putting a $100 hold or so. However - when I was staying on a comped junket to CET Atlantic City - I noticed that I had a $626 for the first day and a $632 pending charge for the second day.

I wasn't close to my limit but still - that should not have been pending on my credit card. I had no charges to the room - this was just something that Caesar's put on my credit card for the room. It did take 7 days to drop off.

16. suthrnoutlw

suthrnoutlw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use cash for deposits...no matter what I always leave a "winner" lol

17. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some properties won't accept cash, at least when I called and inquired.

Tentative Arrival
  18. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my experiances

harrahs new orleans no matter how long im at their hotel, they put a $150 room charge which is wiped out as soon as I leave

harrahs new orleans partner hotels

Sheraton had no charge for my 2 day stay

Hilton riverside held $200 for a 4 day stay which my check out isnt for another hour and a half and the hold is already gone

Marriott held $125 for a 1 day stay and then blamed labor day on the 2 weeks it took to remove the hold

cherokee north caroline had no room holds for me

ceasars palace LV usually does $150 for my 4 day stay which is removed when i leave

not sure what harrahs gulf coast holds as i forgot but will find out next week

19. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ended up renting a car in BOI from Avis and they just charged the rental price, that is all. The other places wanted to charge the rental AND a hold of like 200-300.. no thanks

20. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at Sam's Town last year on a two night comp. Asked about a cash deposit and she said $100, gave her said $100 and upon check out was given it back. Funny thing is, what if I trashed my room?

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.