1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mss June 17-23

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by bubbakitty, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Overview with follow momentarily.

Attached Files:

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
  2. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We left home at 3:55 a.m. for a 6:30 a.m. flight from Austin-L.V. Made it easily to parking lot and terminal with 15 minutes to spare prior to boarding (6:00 a.m.) Flight was uneventful. Got the two seater in front of the exit row. I sit and stretch across a bit and have plenty of leg room also. Arrive at 7:15 or so and catch the WAX downtown after waiting about 10 minutes in the little que area. At the MSS about 8:20 and wave asking for the latest time Bloody Maries are served with a response of “never” which took me a moment to digest but was actually correct.

No rooms, no problem so we check the bags and head down to the Eat Café for pancakes and hydration. Did not disappoint. On Carson Street; parallel to Fremont. Just down from the famous donut place that has no name in my memory but this time we looked in the window and definitely could have left a bit of drool on the window with our observations. Hopefully not too much. Will embark and consume at that place for the next tryst adventure. (Ty—I suggest you jog down here rather than Krispy’s next time just for divergence)

Got back at approximately 9:45 or so and began the day with a bloody mary and several olives in a much larger vessel than previously poured. We did not protest. After about 4 of those to cross the finish line for the beginning of the day we moved about to try various machines for diversity. The JoB at the bar is 9/6 but I can only bring myself to play 7/5 BP when 8/5 is available on the floor for so long. “It’s only 5 quarters!” she says ignorantly (I think to myself) – (no fool). Still. I played rigid basic strategy and my astuteness paid off with a dealt royal which held automatically. Damn good strategy. On the first day. Bazinga! Not necessarily a winning trip but a no-loss trip/minimal one.

I think and am fairly certain we met CaptCampton as I read his report and he stated as the gentleman did at the bar that he had won the progressive and it was some figure just under 1200 taxable limit. And that he stayed at South Point generally. The rest is fuzzy. As real men would say about my beard. But women would consider it a full beard if it was on them. So there. If you remember talking to such a one in the a.m. about the middle of the bar it was us. Nice chat. If not you; two progressives were won that week by someone that generally stays at SP. Sorry I didn’t see a bracelet. Mine was exposed but sometimes blends with my skin tone depending on the day of the trip.

Ate at the Redwood Grill twice and 777 once; buffet for breakfast twice and Eat Café twice as well as Pizza Rock once for regular food and one for happy hour. We left happy. Redwood was great and still open in its old location! I had read it would be closed in June but then I think also that magazine article might have been planted in the room to deter my attempting a reservation at the original location. Joke was on them as the food was excellent and the French Onion Soup enough to stay within the Union.

Had the double IPA at the Boar’s Head (white handle—“give me a white handle brew”) but could never remember the name but always got it. Powerful in a understated sort of way. By far the best I have had there in a few visits. But three is enough for dinner when your wife has had two and wonders where we are going as we head to dinner.

I like Fremont street and it’s entrepreneurs much better since the creation of the circles. The ones that are now bothersome are those walking out into the canopy area with “creams”, “wrinkle removers”, free this that or the other by men in ties and women in skirts. Three days of “no thanks” followed up by a smart ass remark caused to me just stop and look directly in the eyes of the peddler and tell them “When you go back to your circle as required I will come visit it and hear your spiel”. Not well received. But fun (more so than no thanks….with “you’ve broken my heart” as a comeback).

Went to the Rio for the poker tournament on Sunday (1st day) to watch two fellow golfers play in the 65+ Super Seniors tournament. One was bounced prior to dinner and the other made 80th out of 1426 or so entries. It was fun to watch and we would have gone back for the final day had either made it but it was not meant to be. One thing I noticed was the “smallness” of the cards and their value. For old guys/girls you would have thought the larger font would have been used. Never saw so much squinting and leaning forward by such a wrinkly crew. Good thing I have two good years left before I get to that level. And of course both got out on bad beats. They are poker players. What’s new?

Took 3 hours to get back to the MSS from Rio. First tried Rio Shuttle. No go. Lots of semi-trucks driving down in front of Rio while we wait. Weird. Then we walk over to Gold Coast and catch the shuttle to the Linq to catch the shuttle to ST to Fremont Hotel. I love riding the shuttles with the homeys. We were dead tired so appreciated the time to sit. Walked through the Linq area but it was Finals Sunday so all places were packed with the game. Lots of people walking through could have cared less about NBA games. Few kids though which was good.

Also there was the EDC that weekend which always brings us back to our youth and the inevitable comparisons. Not to get politically, socially, or ethnically sideways but I much prefer growing up as a 17 year old when Woodstock took place that what I saw that weekend. To each his/her own but sitting at the shuttle stop at Rio we chatted with a 20 something couple with a two year old (back home in Colorado with granny and gramps) that paid 800 $ for the three day pass and pointed out that didn’t include airfare or hotel. And they bought early. They also mentioned 6 $ bottles of water for sale. Yikes. But they had no regrets and neither did we.

Video poker at Boar’s Head bar is great. If you come at the right time and at the right machine. Sometimes we did and sometimes they were taken. Came home with 45 $’s more than we left (actually not as it was 63 $’s for parking at the airport) and were happy. We got two 80 $ comps to Redwood by asking and a 30 $ to 777 and two buffets for two 35 $’s(?) while there and stayed four of the five nights at comp so with the fifth night stayed five nights for 38 $’s. We tipped the maid close to the nightly rate if looked at it like that.

Took the WAX back to the airport early a.m. Wednesday and were eating TEX MEX at Chuy’s by 1:00 p.m. which was a welcome reunion. It was hot in Vegas (115) but not nearly as hot as Texas (93 with 65% humidity), but it was good to be home. Can’t wait for October.

I left a lot out but feel free to ask and eventually I will come up with something.

I will try to post pictures first and then copy this to the trip report section…..thanks for enduring.

We were in room 905 so if there is a picture from a window that is it.

We played at GC and it was weird and we both noted the straight flush only paid 239. Of course my wife hit one and then we got a picture….Ideas?

No picture but they are making a sports book DOWNSTAIRS at the California. It looks sizable but future visitors could comment. It is parallel to the escalators along the Ogden Street entrance. Hoping for more room and more comfortable seating.

We went to GC for Father’s Day 7x multiplier on Sunday and had 5x multiplier on Monday Tuesday with our June offer. It was easy to earn points for food at that rate and with our play on one card.

3. Texas Steph

Texas Steph Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the TR, we also like staying and playing at MSS. Congrats on the dealt Royal, that was sweet!

4. CaptCampion

CaptCampion Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep that was absolutely me you met at the bar! Nice trip report!

5. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    image.jpeg

Interesting report bubba.

That picture of the VP pay table is weird though. Every other pay table across computes to 5x minimal bet except for the straight. Were there other machines around that had the same pay table?

6. CaptCampion

CaptCampion Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting also that you got a dealt SF and a dealt RF

7. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    haven't read it yet, but congrats on the dealt royal!
    strangely enough, the one I hit waaay back in 08, was ALSO clubs.

Palace Tower Suite!
  8. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Way to go - dealt SF and RF - sounds like someone was wearing their lucky socks!
    Enjoyed your TR. Congrats from a fellow Texan!

9. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    on the straight flush...it's 239 coins, so when playing $5 denom, it pays just UNDER $1200 for a w2g...but any less than $5 denom it sucks

Palace Tower Suite!
  10. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mr kitty,
    Very nice report, thanks for taking the time to post. Nice hits on the VP. That doughnut place sounds a long way from MSS. Do they have a shuttle?

Senior Poker. I was jokingly going to ask if they had Jumbo Cards, apparently not.

Did you and the Mrs have steak at Redwood?
    What did yall have at Eat? Since you went there twice you must've really liked it.

Ever considered Uber instead of the 3 hour shuttle?

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  11. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice hits Bubba! I need to get back to MSS when that Double IPA is on tap. That's my go to beer style...and didn't realize Boar's Head had it available. That plus 9/6 JoB could mean a long night! :drunk:

So was my dealt royal at Flamingo...lol

Yeah, it's odd it's on a 25c unit, and those machines don't even offer $5. I'm wondering if the guy inputting the paytables picked the wrong one. I played these machines near the Red Zone bar in August. I didn't realize it was 47.8/9/6 JoB (99.52%) for the first ten minutes or so, but still the best game available on the bank. But $5 machines that short quads to 239 in DDB, those are the games that really suck.

12. Sheil813

Sheil813 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there during EDC too, fun people watching.

Spring Fling! May 11 - 15th
  13. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ty--At Redwood I had prime rib the first time and bone-in rib-eye the second. Wife had filet and shrimp scampi. Twice. She said it was amazing and I must concur as to my meal as well. Again the onion soup is the best way to start the meal along with the bread and olive oil "dip". She also raved about Coppola (?) Diamond Grand Reserve or something like that which was a Merlot. That was after the two double IPA's so not too sure about the review. It was 9 $ a glass but she sees it on line at Trader Joe's for 12.99 $. Not sure of the year being the same. No idea when Redwood is closing for renovation as the waiter said "Huh?" when asked for general dates.
    Eat is on 7th and Carson (a six block walk and easily maneuvered on the shady side of the street if paying attention) and the pancakes are great. We think they must transfer the almost done cake to a hotter grill for 30 seconds or so a side as the outer part of the cake is crispier than just a cake surface. The donut place is on the left going to Eat (on the right) and has a big set of windows to peer through. Much variety and hefty portions. It was the DonutBar the sign out front said they were open at 6:30 or so and close "when sold out!". I would give them a try (a good fast paced walk could have you burn whatever calories you consume......maybe) http://www.donutbar.com/Las-Vegas/
    The reason for the 3 hour return trip (according to Olegg at the bar the next morning) was the freeway going toward California was closed completely at Flamingo Road for about 3.5 hours that afternoon. He said the news reported a man had been in a chase with LVPD and abandoned his car, ran up on the overpass and then jumped off when cornered. It explained the number of rigs diverting past Rio / Gold Coast while we waited for the shuttle which apparently was affected as it never came. The route of the Boyd shuttle from GC to the Linq was different as well going down Tropicana when leaving Orleans and turning on Koval.
    Also forgot earlier we had (split) the hot fudge sundae at the Lappert's which it turns out you can pay for in points. Crap what a deal. Good thing I don't diet.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.