1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MSP to LAS -- good rates

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ClownHo, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen $240 RT in a long time. Sure, there are deals on Spirit and decent rates if you connect, but Delta and Sun Country.... it has been a while. Delta didn't give me all its flight options, but it gave me decent ones for $260. Sun Country, however, offered me RTs for $240. It has far fewer flight options, but the only drawback to the option I chose is that we'll say in Vegas a few hours longer than I'd prefer, but that's hardly a sin! And Sun Country is not as hectic as Delta since you get to use the smaller, less ridiculous terminals.

2. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    can you be more specific? Month/day? What time of day? randomly checked Nov 8-11 and its showing $360-$530

3. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem with sun country is that early morning flight back from vegas, I feel like I paid for an extra day's hotel for nothing. If they would have a mid afternoon departure I'd take them everytime.

4. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked the week of Halloween, Sunday through Friday, to be specific.

Yeah, SC is limiting because of the flight times. I would have preferred to be in the air sometime in the afternoon, but we'll have to wait until 6 p.m. Friday to fly home. Not a big deal. I'll have no problem keeping busy, I just prefer to get home before midnight locally. But it's a Friday, I won't be working that weekend, so no complaints from me.

I have to work Saturday night, the 26th, and my girlfriend is booked on Saturday morning, Nov. 2, so we didn't have flexibility in our dates. Delta had decent offerings for $260, but none so fabulous that we had to spend the extra $20/seat.

I had been contemplating this trip, but hadn't committed to it. I hadn't even been searching fares, other than one price check I did a couple of weeks ago, before we were ready to commit. That search showed what I usually find as the low end of MSP-LAS fare searches, just under $300. I stumbled across a tweet late last night that said SC had $99 flights to Vegas each way. I was skeptical, but I did a fare search and was surprised that we could book two direct flight tickets for under $500. That sealed the deal.

5. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta is #1 for me, but I really do like Terminal 2. Although it is really annoying when they (often) don't have both security checkpoints open.

I got RT SWA from Oct 12-17 for about 12k miles, cash would have been $248.

I wish SWA would figure it out and make the non-stops to LAS out of MSP instead of MKE. They would get a lot more business considering all the competition of non-stops to LAS. Many of the daily flights out of MSP go to MKE and then to LAS. Stupid, if you ask me (which no one has... lol). They should have MKE through MSP. Dumb.

6. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flights out of MSP have been hovering around $298 to $338 for the past month or so. Rates have dropped the past couple of days on Sun Country to reasonable range of $240; to bad I already booked my Vegas trip the end of Oct on Spirit....would pay a few extra bucks to fly with S.C. I like getting their first class upgrade at the counter for $118....no checked baggage fee, board first, enjoy a free cocktail before takeoff, nice inflight meal, comfy seats and I am half way to baggage claim before the poor souls in coach are off the plane. I hope the lower fares continue...do you think Delta and Sun Country are feeling the affects of Spirit's lower fares?

Winter break
  7. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frankly, no. Airlines are always keeping tabs on each other and Spirit (as well as Allegiant and Frontier, etc) are the jokes of the industry.

Plus, there is a consistently different demographic flying (for example) Delta vs. Spirit.

8. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know Spirit is dirt cheap, but given you are packed in like a sardine, they charge for everything and their few flights are at crummy times, I can't imagine they're much competition for the major carriers at MSP. I have yet to give them a second thought when I book a trip.

I'd fly Southwest far more often if it didn't mean changing planes and jockeying for a seat on the aircraft. I don't mind sitting toward the back periodically, but I like to know where my seat is before I get on the plane, and not have to constantly be lurking near the entrance to the aircraft to make sure I get on before that guy over there, who might also want a window seat somewhere other than next to the biffy.

9. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I flew round trip for $59.80 in April and have booked a RT fare in December for $98 on Spirit; and that's no joke. I travel light, using just a backpack that fits under the seat, so I don't have to pay a baggage fee. I usually get there early for my flights; asking politely at the counter gets me a seat that I can live with. Granted, I will be the first to agree that the seats on Spirit are uncomfortable; but getting to Vegas and back for less than 60 bucks....I can put up with a little discomfort. Spirit has added an additional daily flight to Vegas out of MSP that flies out mid-morning (10 AM) and returns around 1:30 PM (these are nonstop flights), which is much better than the late evening flight and returning on the red-eye. I'm just speaking from my personal experience with Spirit....I've flown with them 3 times so far this year and have not had any problems. I know the majority of people on this forum hate this airline with a passion....perhaps I've just been lucky so far.

Winter break
  10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am flying next month on Spirit for $177, non stop, round trip. This will be my first time on Spirit. I am a little guy so I don't care about the seats being close, I don't give 2 shits where I sit, I can go 3 hours without eating, and I am carrying on a very small bag. I usually pay double that for SC or Delta. I will not fly Southwest unless they go to non stops.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  11. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't fly them but within the industry they are hardly a joke.
    Spirt has been profitable year after year and I think Allegiant is not far behind.

12. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being a joke in the industry has nothing to do with their profits. It has to do with their overall reputation. Their profits come from flying in markets with little to no competition. They are still bottom of the barrel carriers, everyone knows that.

13. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard to argue with $60RT, although I get uncomfortable in a regular plane seat. If there's even less room in a Spirit seat, I better be able to stand up in the aisle periodically and stretch. I'll definitely need the leg room, I couldn't afford to stick a backpack under the seat in front of me.

The next time I find myself traveling solo to LAS, perhaps I'll be lucky enough to find a RT under $100. But I couldn't get by with just a backpack of clothes, I'll be paying for baggage.

14. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yeah, I might even consider driving to Rochester (an hour south) if I could get it for $110 after baggage fees. I could get drunk enough at the airport before getting on the plane to sleep for 3 hours! :)

15. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't think the legacy carriers are watching how these airlines are turning a profit year after year you would be mistaken.

16. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Duh. All companies watch the other companies in their industry, that is across the board, not airline specific.

17. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

So yeah, 2 airlines that turn profits year after year in an industry where turning a profit is difficult are viewed as "jokes"...ok :rolleyes2:

18. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You apparently must work for Spirit since you don't even live in MSP, yet are continue to thread crap on a post about Spirit's MSP rates. I am not going to argue off-topic with you any longer. PM me if you must...

19. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I must work for Spirit :rolleyes2:
    I don't fly Spirt, Allegiant or Southwest.
    I'm just trying to figure out who in the industry considers Allegiant or Spirit a "joke"
    The investors?
    Other airline executives?
    The flying public?

20. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in other off-topic discussions, i'm not interested in knowing who considers Allegiant or Spirit a joke. if you're interested in knowing, please consider starting a new thread, where you're bound to get better traction.

in the meantime i'm interested in knowing what kinds of deals people are finding on airfare from MSP to LAS, and how that compares with previous experiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.