1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Morley Safer

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The guy retired only a week ago. 84 years old. His reports from Vietnam are classics. R.I.P.

2. Tibs

Tibs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I grew up watching him. It was heart breaking because I watched the second 60 minutes special this Sunday on him and was so happy to see him retire and happy about it. NBC actually replayed highlights from that episode and did a proper shout out to him.

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn. I hate hearing about people retiring and passing away shortly after. Just not fair. Work hard your whole life and couldn't even enjoy your hard-earned retirement. One week? Too much to bear.

May he rest in Peace.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  4. azlefty

azlefty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, to his credit he was 84 and lived a full life. I assume he was working by choice and could have retired many years ago if he wanted to, but he probably loved what he was doing?

He was on 60 minutes even when I was a young kid and my parents watched.

5. Tibs

Tibs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watch the special, I'm sure they will re-air it. Probably on demand too. He really did love the money and work.

6. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. He would have hung it up a long time ago if he didn't still love what he was doing. I'm guessing it broke his heart to have to retire because he just couldn't do the job up to his own standards anymore. I think he went out the best way possible.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was a great journalist and I can remember him from way back in the 70s.

Now I hate to make fun of anyone passing, but one of the funniest sketches I can ever remember is somebody (forget who) doing a spoof of Andy Rooney's schtick. The line was: "Isn't Morley a dumb name? What's it supposed to be, the opposite of Lesley?" :)

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never thought of it that way and am glad you brought that point up. I keep forgetting that there are fortunate people who have jobs they love. I'm not one of them, lol! so I guess I always think negative.

I'm happy now thinking he was doing what he loves. God Bless and may he rest in peace.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  9. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Morley came across as authentic, believable, and humble - a great talent with a sense of humor. He was lucky he found his calling early and as he joked "the money isn't bad ". Will miss him.

10. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He wasn't exactly in the salt mines. Great travel opportunities, production input, luxury hotels, fine dining, meeting with and interviewing some of the most interesting people in the world. A satisfying career path.

There's a reason that folks like Morley work into their 70's and sometimes 80's.

Nick:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.