1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mlife points per dollar going down

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Saaz, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saaz

Saaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just returned from the Mirage. Almost all of the newer machines had labels on them saying 1 point per $10 wagered. That is a lot less than before. All the old machines did not say this and earned at the original rate. How will this affect comp values in the future? I filled out the review they sent me and asked this same question. I played a bit at Aria and they had some with the same label, but only on the really big machines. Excalibur was the same as Aria, so it's not all the Mlife properties.

2. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought this was always the case, with all newer "video" slot machines being considered "specialty machines" and now they are just labeling them so there is no confusion.

3. donovanrs28

donovanrs28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    G2E was show casing all the new slots and everyone of them are specialty. They have to pay the loyalty, which will make them $10/1 Tier Credit. I personally like the 3 reel slots for that reason, although WOF is specialty.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad case of accountants running the show instead of sales/marketing.

Sure, they may have an issue with royalties. To cover it, they had a few choices.

a) Suck it up and hope people just like playing them

b) Change the payback percentage enough to cover the expense which the customer would never know

c) Piss off their customers by changing the point value on comps

Am I missing something here?

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yeah that's been the case but is the OP saying that some of the same machines that earned the specialty rate at Mirage did not earn that rate at Aria and Excalibur? If that's the case that's pretty interesting and weird. That would mean the individual properties decide what machines are considered specialty on their own, and not by some set of corporate standards. I doubt that but who knows... Funny since others have posted how Mirage recently worsened its blackjack to 6:5 on everything under $25 (and someone was even told it would happen to $25 tables).

Which begs the question....wtf is going on at the Mirage?? :wink2:

6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think each property determines what are "specialty" machines, beyond the obvious. When I stayed a Mirage a few years ago, I was playing the Big Green Machine and noticed it was paying as a specialty slot. Also the dollar Pinball machine was paying as a specialty slot. It pays to check the machines you are playing.

The way it's going with all the themed machines - which I don't really play at all, some day there won't be any machines except VP that I will play. They don't pay well, and if I'm not even going to earn full points for them, why would I play them. As it is, I mostly only play the older machines now.

7. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP is stating that only some of the (big and newer) Aria machines have the label, I don't believe they checked to see what the comp rate was on the machine by playing. Unless I'm mistaken, the "video slots" have always been considered "specialty games" and have always accrued points at the 1 point per $10 level with or without the label.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the thing about points is they mean very little other than generating TCs and ECs. sure those are important, but not everything. but in terms of actual comps, that's always based on theo, which is independent of the specialty/non-specialty stuff. I talked to my host about it one time and he doesn't see anything in the computer about that, it's all based on theo.

now, do they give you less theo on those machines because they're "specialty"? maybe, IDK.

but the whole thing is silly. getting up in arms because you earn fewer points on some machines than others, that's like getting up in arms because the wheel player earns way more comps than the dice player. play a different game if you want more comps.

9. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see that comparing a wheel player to a dice player is the same as this. I sit down at a 3 coin $1 Pinball machine that they consider specialty so I'm only earning 1 point for every $10. Meanwhile the person sitting next to me on a 3 coin $1 Hot Pepper machine is earning 1 point for every $3 spent.

I don't have a problem with the themed machines being "specialty". They are penny machines anyway - which I hate. It's them taking non themed machines and considering them specialty that I don't care for - although I wouldn't consider myself up in arms over it :)

As far as tier, yes I know it doesn't determine your offers. But there are some good benefits to being platinum - so as far as I'm concerned - tier credits are important, as are the EC's and Point play. I like that free cruise.

10. Grid

Grid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with JC on this one as well! Last year I was close to hitting Platinum so I only played machines that were not specialty. Mind you, this was when $2.00 got you 10 TC's. Now on the "good" machines $3.00 gets you 10 TC's so it takes 50% more play to get the same. Had I been playing a machine that was $10.00 for 10 TC's I never would have made it.

Also, to add to what Josie said. The Ghostbusters at Luxor is not a specialty slot. But Belliago's is. Twilight Zone at NY NY wasn't but Aria was. etc. So there is no way of knowing until you stick your card in and play. Unless they have the plate of shame on them that is. And I know these exact Pinball Machines at Mirage I too was pissed, even the Top Dollar ones next to them were SS machines. Really? On 15 year old non progressive slots? Explain that one!

11. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like what we need is a thread with a list of machines that are specialty at some places and not at others so that those who like that machine will know where they can play it and get full points.

12. Crazycrue

Crazycrue Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the warning about the machines I will be at the Mirage in 13 days and love the hotel and location so I will be careful what I play now that I know this. This does explain alot. I didn't earn many comps on last trip and was a bit shocked by it. This may be partly why.

If they start low balling I will be cutting back my budget for their properties and trying other properties instead.

13. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Plate of Shame" - Good One! :evillaugh

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:

Just shows what a stupid move this is on MGM's part. Reduce the payout if you must, buy why screw with a program meant to INCREASE your customer loyalty?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.